The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2891
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35982 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#59925 - 17/02/11 07:31 AM Henry Stedman 2010 edition
walkingwounded Offline

Loc: lincolnshire
Hello everyone, I've not posted for a while but I've been keeping up to date with everything !

Anyway,I was browsing the Trailblazer-guides website the other day and had a look at the 2010 edition of the Henry Stedman C2C book....and saw that some people have been posting updates re the route/general info etc.

This may have already been mentioned in other threads/posts previously but I just thought it may be of interest to some of you, especially anyone doing the walk this year.

I am all booked up for my 4th crossing this summer hence my browsings and keeping up to date with all things C2C !

Regards to all

Walking Wounded

#62084 - 28/06/11 08:12 PM Re: Henry Stedman 2010 edition [Re: walkingwounded]
walkingwounded Offline

Loc: lincolnshire
There are further updates from June 2011 walkers on the Traiblazer-guides website, if anyone is interested.

Does anyone know if the Three Tuns pub at Cleator has re-opened yet ?

Also, have any recent C2C'ers encountered any problems with cattle anywhere on the route ?

There are usually some in the fields between Ivelet and Reeth which have caused walkers problems before and also in the fields soon after Reeth towards Marrick.

I also remember some blocking the path in the corner of a field near a stile just after Wray House Farm ( Map 69,page 201 in the latest Stedman )on my last crossing in May 2009.

The reason I ask is because I have encountered some problems lately with cattle and any updates, advice etc. would be appreciated in advance of my next C2C this summer.

Regards to all

Walking Wounded

#62085 - 28/06/11 09:13 PM Re: Henry Stedman 2010 edition [Re: walkingwounded]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I encountered more cattle in 32 hours on the Dales Way than on the entire C2C route.
This has been widely covered before, however I have never had problems with cattle in over 50 years of all types of country walking. Sure you get the excited young calves running down and alongside you, but if you remain confident they back off. Ive had a herd of their mums gallop down to me as I approached a gate, but a stern shout soon had them stop.
If they crowd a gate or stile, approach calmly and confidently, not too fast and they will get the message and move away.
If walking through a field with cows or bulls, find your line, but meander slightly to go round each one and if you don't make eye contact, they shouldn't see you as a threat, and will ignore you.
Finally try to keep well away from their young, move slowly to avoid startling them.
Dave.

#62094 - 29/06/11 12:24 PM Re: Henry Stedman 2010 edition [Re: Slogger]
flatlands Offline

I'm walking the coast to coast this August, but from Robin Hood's Bay to St. Bees. I will be taking notes on pubs, shops, atm's cafe's and camp sites along the route.

#62096 - 29/06/11 12:55 PM Re: Henry Stedman 2010 edition [Re: flatlands]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: flatlands
I'm walking the coast to coast this August, but from Robin Hood's Bay to St. Bees. I will be taking notes on pubs, shops, atm's cafe's and camp sites along the route.

Was that taking notes on pubs or IN pubs?
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#62098 - 29/06/11 02:01 PM Re: Henry Stedman 2010 edition [Re: Harland]
flatlands Offline

Originally Posted By: Harland
Originally Posted By: flatlands

Was that taking notes on pubs or IN pubs?
On pubs, I simply can't afford the pub prices nowadays and I'm on the wagon now, cutting my weekly drinking to two pints a week. I guess the coast to coast is going to be a dry run, I may have the odd orange juice every few days. What do there charge for a pint of orange juice in the pubs nowadays, are there rip-off prices.

#62101 - 29/06/11 02:11 PM Re: Henry Stedman 2010 edition [Re: flatlands]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
A farmer told me last week that she believes the increasing problems with cattle over the past few years are as a result of crossing them with Holstein bulls. This increases their aggressive nature!

What is surprising though, is that the deaths caused by cattle occur throughout the countryside fraternity .... vets, farmers, farmhands etc, not just walkers. So there can't be an easy way to identify if any of the ones that you see pose a threat. The maxim is, if they have calves along with them, just be extra vigilant.

#62123 - 01/07/11 12:50 PM Re: Henry Stedman 2010 edition [Re: slowcoach]
geofconnor Offline

Loc: Katonah, NY, USA
The only place I had problems with cows on two crossings was in the field just after the churchyard with the 150 year old man in. The cows were all congregated around the exit stile. I sidled around the edge of the field, put a piece of straw in my mouth and tried to look like a farmer - that seemed to work.

Geof

#62125 - 01/07/11 06:58 PM Re: Henry Stedman 2010 edition [Re: geofconnor]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
I think that, like Lyme's Disease, the more fractious nature of cows is a growing problem. Twenty years ago both were virtually unknown commodities and something that few, if any, walkers gave a second thought to. In the intervening years both have become an increasing concern that people should now be aware of rather than worried about.

The problems with cows are chiefly (but not always) connected with them having calves to foot and being frightened by dogs, so it is possible, to some extent, to anticipate the situations which create a potential for danger.

That said, the unlucky farmer and vet did not have any pets with them.

#62126 - 01/07/11 09:01 PM Re: Henry Stedman 2010 edition [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Could just be that both increases are down to the fact that more and more people are taking to walking the countryside.
There has been a dramatic increase in the number of walkers over the last 10 years in particular.
Obviously this fact alone would account for an increase in number of Lyme disease cases and incidents with cattle.
It is possible that the farmer and vet simply became victims of complacency.
I personally have not noticed any change in cattle behavior over the years, and I do think it is more to do with how some people themselves behave when they come across them.
Dave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917