The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60081 - 01/03/11 07:27 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Slogger]
Evil Budgie Offline

Loc: Billingham, Teesside, UK
I'll sneak over to the Lake District and have a wander again in the next few weeks. Wanted to go back to Lake Windermere anyway, got tons of it left to explore.

Will bookmark the links and have a proper think later. Thanks for those.

Hmm Inov8. Suppose I could always take a big black marker pen to the branding.

Apparently this e-retailer:

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/

is one mile's walk away and has Inov8 stuff. Most of the stuff on that site looks a bit overkill for me though (I'm a cheapskate).

#60085 - 01/03/11 08:29 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Hi Craig

I admire your ideal of raising awareness of Asperger's syndrome. In fact one of my children "shows symptoms of Aspergers" as it is so politely put. Fortunately he is on the very early end of the spectrum and it mainly manifests itself by his literal acceptance of words and phrases, unable to see the humour in "pull your socks up" etc.

Boots..... Living in Middlesbrough, why don't you call in at Richmond and visit the Altberg shop. They are the only remaining British bootmaker and supply the local army bases and the police motorcyclists with their footwear. I wear them professionally and can't recommend them too highly. The staff, as well, know what they are talking about! They are on the industrial estate where they have an outlet shop. Allow yourself a good hour and take your own socks with you. I would also recommend a good quality insole.

Walking in May it will be very difficult to get lost. Just sit down for 5 minutes and check with the next person that passes! Don't get hung up on getting a better GPS unless you plan to do a lot of walking once the C to C is over.

If you are worried about fitness you have some excellent walking on your doorstep. Try the Scarth Nick to Hagg's gate section of the C to c going over the tops. Will tell you how fit you are, but I really don't think that you need to worry

Just look forward to it and enjoy it.

#60094 - 02/03/11 12:56 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: slowcoach]
Evil Budgie Offline

Yea most of the battle is fighting the ignorance and prejudice spread by the media. When the Daily Mail can have a front page headline using the phrase "Asperger's Victim" (relating to the hacker Gary McKinnon) and my complaint gets nowhere there's something very wrong with this country. It's very common seeing "Asperger's sufferer" or similar too, about 1 in 3 BBC articles I searched through a while back had that. People are going to miss out on being diagnosed (generally very important) because of the stigma attached to a formal diagnosis. As well as being more likely to be the victim of prejudice, bullying etc. So it will be about education and highlighting the way it is portrayed by the media (and even by solicitors trying to get patently neuro-typical yobs off assault charges by saying they're suspected Aspies).

Anyway Richmond is a bit out of the way to be honest. It would be a long journey just for some boots.

I'd have to be pretty desperate to be asking someone directions. When I went to Malta last year I was swapping hotels from Sliema to Bugibba. In my wisdom I didn't bother passing my luggage to some other Scrabblers who were going by taxi and decided to walk it, see Malta properly. The walk was approximately 9 miles and I was wheeling 19kg in one luggage bag, with a few kilos in a laptop bag, plus camera around my neck. 7 1/2 miles in the rubber one of the wheels melted a bit so I had to try and carry it. I managed to walk straight past my hotel and on another mile before I asked anyone where it was.

#60095 - 02/03/11 06:59 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
slowcoach Offline

In fairness, things are much better today than they were as Aspergers is now accepted as a recognised condition. Turn back the clock 35 years and it was met with condemnation at school etc. When we first became concerned at some of our son's behaviour he received no help, school thought he was just strange and doctor's dismissed it. Had we been 35 years younger his problems (as they exist) would have been identifies straight away and help offered. But, as I say, we are fortunate as he is on the very very beginning of the spectrum and his obsession is quite difficult to notice as regards outsiders.

#60097 - 02/03/11 03:39 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Originally Posted By: Evil Budgie
I'll sneak over to the Lake District and have a wander again in the next few weeks. Wanted to go back to Lake Windermere anyway, got tons of it left to explore.

Will bookmark the links and have a proper think later. Thanks for those.

Hmm Inov8. Suppose I could always take a big black marker pen to the branding.

Apparently this e-retailer:

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/

is one mile's walk away and has Inov8 stuff. Most of the stuff on that site looks a bit overkill for me though (I'm a cheapskate).

Hi Craig.
Good on ya for trying to raise awareness for Aspergers.My son has it and when he was younger there was no help at all for him.

As for being a cheapskate....join the party.
I have yet to pay full price for any of my kit to date so far.
Go Outdoors can be good for kit if you catch the sales.
I am doing the walk in June.Just check out the Total Novice thread on here,and you should find all you need to know as I asked the same questions when I started it ages ago.

Good luck and best wishes.......and I'd go with the Stedman,but keep AW wit you for inspiration.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#60105 - 02/03/11 07:48 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
slowcoach Offline

Of course he's a cheapskate ... to me Middlesbrough is still part of Yorkshire.

#60107 - 02/03/11 08:40 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: slowcoach]
Evil Budgie Offline

I was born and raised north of the Tees. To me Yorkshire is just some rubbish cricket team Durham gets to trounce many times per season.

I'm very much anti-books by the way. I'm not vaguely interested in reading books for leisure. So I'd only be using a guide for practicality.

#60114 - 03/03/11 01:40 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
xraysteve Offline

Agree with Memphian about the GPS.

Way points in the Stedman book make a good back up, the Stedman is a good guide and we used the GPS times in anger all the way across but it was nice to know we had it

#60140 - 05/03/11 07:12 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: xraysteve]
Evil Budgie Offline

Okay will make a mental note of the Stedman book.

Given my use of cameras I'm wondering about places I could recharge the batteries. Basically anywhere with a normal plug socket. I guess the camp sites would have something. Also any libraries, internet cafes, wifi access etc. along the route. I probably won't bring a laptop with me (the hard drive has broken 4 times in less than a year) but it's an option. I would kinda like to update the website whilst still on the walk, if possible.

#60141 - 05/03/11 08:05 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: Evil Budgie
I'm wondering about places I could recharge the batteries.

Most pubs will let you use their plugs providing you spend some money there, not a hardship really!
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917