The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60063 - 28/02/11 08:50 PM Newbie 12+ day journey
Evil Budgie Offline

Loc: Billingham, Teesside, UK
Quick intro first, I'm Craig, 29yo from north-east England. I do a bit of photography and web design. I'm an international Scrabble player although I've been a bit useless lately. I was national Scrabble champion in 2009 and won Countdown in 2007.

I'm intending to do a Coast to Coast walk (camping) in early May. I'd quite like to have it so I had a short final leg on May 14th (when I turn 30). I'm going to try and raise awareness for Asperger's Syndrome whilst I'm at it (and the prejudiced way it is reported). Plus take loads of photos (I'm thinking of getting a Canon 7D to go with my 40D and carry them attached to 400mm and 17-55mm lenses respectively so I can take shots quickly as I'm going along). The slight issue with May 14th is the May bank holiday. At present I'm thinking of copying the 12 day schedule in the 'MAY 2011 CAMPING ON THE COAST TO COAST' thread and hope camping in St Bees (or nearby) will be possible and not bankrupt me on Monday May 2nd.

Fitness-wise I don't think it'll be too much of a problem. I'm reasonably fit, I will do plenty of practice walks. Have already done a few shorter 8 mile walks with some camera equipment (maybe 4kg worth) and not felt any ill effects.

So it's basically more about the logistics really. Making sure I don't get lost, organising things (I leave everything to the last minute). I at present have virtually none of the requisite equipment bar a 65l bag and a coat. I've read quite a lot of stuff on the forum already about Compeed for blisters, getting boots 1-2 sizes extra and breaking them in etc.

I'm thinking I'll need:

(65l bag & coat)
Maps/guidebooks with compass
Tent
Chocolate bars
Water (bottles) - I drink 2-3 litres daily as it is
Bread and butter knife
I have a crappy Garmin satnav - it contains no terrain detail though, may be okay as a back-up
Compeed
Wide-brimmed hat & sunglasses
Spare t-shirt(s)/underwear/socks depending on space
First aid kit I guess
Boots
Trainers
Torch

I'm a little bit wary of the food/drink situation. I'm an extremely fussy eater. I exist generally on good bread made into ham or corned beef sarnies, also like pork pies, sausage rolls, bacon, mushrooms, crisps, chocolate and sweets. That's about it really. So I'm wondering about places where I can get such things (I don't use butter/margarine for ham sarnies - I lived on ham croissants and pork pies in my 5 days in Bowness). Typical meals and plasticky sliced bread I don't like.

Wondered if there's any good places to go for boots/tents in the north-east (I'm near Middlesbrough). We have a big Go Outdoors place but that always seemed super expensive to me.

Also with regards to guidebooks and maps, which ones to look at or get.

Other general advice would be good too.

#60064 - 28/02/11 09:20 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Originally Posted By: Evil Budgie
I exist generally on good bread made into ham or corned beef sarnies, also like pork pies, sausage rolls, bacon, mushrooms, crisps, chocolate and sweets.

well you got me drooling there as I'm on a diet for my next attempt...
welcome btw, I'm sure you'll gleen all you need to know from the wise old birds here,
cheers
lwm
I've heard that Inov8 have regular end-of-the-month sales up your way...
I like the look of your priorities btw - chocolate third on list - sweet!

#60065 - 28/02/11 11:51 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: lightweightmick]
Evil Budgie Offline

Yea I'm on a diet of sorts myself, I have sarnies mostly (I enjoy them though, bread's good around here). With a box of 4 croissants twice a week as a treat. I'm too picky to have much variety when I'm eating 'healthily' (ham sarnies with no butter/marg is as healthy as I get). This all goes out of the window for holidays or when travelling though. In and around Lake Windermere in January I stuffed myself full of pork pies, croissants and allowed myself plenty of chocolate. Was all rather nice really. I do take a chocolate bar with me if I have a long walk, like 8 miles.

#60067 - 01/03/11 08:52 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Well Craig, welcome to the forum.
You will get plenty of ideas on here, but be prepared for differences of opinions as gear choice is very much about personal preference.
I would just say for now, to purchase as lightweight gear as you can. The problem is, really good lightweight gear is not the cheapest, but don't be tempted too much by low prices. Whilst you can obtain the odd bargain, take advice from leading retailers like 'Cotswold'. Ive always found prices in 'Go Outdoors' to be good. Good boots are going to be around £80 - £100 or more, and part fabric with a Goretex lining break in far quicker than most leather, however leather boots do last longer.
All for now.
Dave.

#60069 - 01/03/11 10:11 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Slogger]
HackPacker Offline

Speaking from my own experience camping...

You'll have no problems physically, I'm sure. I'm just about to turn 40 and it seems to me that while many things ebb away with age, stamina grows - and that's what is needed more than strength. Mentally, you'll also need to be tough to do it alone. It doesn't sound that difficult, but if there are times when you've not eaten what you should it can do funny things to your brain which, conflated with the inevitable physical pains and the stress of walking, say, in a fog with 5m visibility without seeing anyone or anything for a few hours can eat away at your mood. I'm not sure how much the mental dexterity needed to win word competitions helps. Maybe it does! But I'm sure you'll look back on it with pride once you've completed it.

In terms of kit...Slogger is right - concentrate on lightweight. It might also seem nice to take luxuries, but when your kit bag is being weighed down with incessant rain it can seem exactly that - a luxury. The old advice of laying out everything you plan to take, then throwing half of it away, is sound. You'll be amazed how little you can survive on.

I found my Hilleberg Akto tent an absolute godsend. I picked it up second-hand on eBay. I also took a four-season sleeping bag, which was far too big and heavy, and would recommend a smaller one.

One other tip is ot make sure at all costs that everything stays dry. Nothing saps your determination like climbing into a wet sleeping bag or wet clothes after a long, hard day. I made that mistake on my failed attempt, resulting in trenchfoot which needed medical treatment, and a thoroughly miserable time for the last few days of the section of the walk I actually managed. There's no excuse for it when, for a few quid, you can pick up lightweight dry bags to put your kit into.

Other than that, I have only one thing left to say. I'm confident that once you have done the C2C, there will be no need for floccinaucinihilipilification.

#60070 - 01/03/11 12:14 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: HackPacker]
MarkDay Offline

Loc: Essex
Craig,

Camping at St bees www.stonehousefarm.net B&B next to the station. You can camp in the garden, give them a call very accomodating.

A good cheap tent that I used last time and will use again this year is the T2 Ultralight Pro from Decathlon just under 2kg, so a tiny bit heavy but roomy and stood up to all weathers. Got mine new for about £70, not sure what the're costing at the moment.

I love the Trailblazer Stedman guide (I believe a new edition has recently been released) all I really used last time.

#60073 - 01/03/11 02:54 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: MarkDay]
flatlands Offline

I like your wildlife photos. I have a tent you maybe interested in, a Wild Country Solace. I'm it selling for £30, like new, just pm me if interested. See this link for info. http://www.andystents.org.uk/wild-country-solace--1423.html

#60075 - 01/03/11 05:40 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: flatlands]
Philly Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
My advice is don't bring your scrabble board as it will just add excess weight to your pack, plus you will be finding letters in all your clothing and sleeping bag for months after your walk. Hope this helps.

#60076 - 01/03/11 05:50 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Philly]
Slogger Offline

When youve got all your gear together, try it out even if only going on a day walk. Include some hills and make it at least your planned average daily mileage.
That will soon tell if you are near right or far wrong.
Dave.

#60080 - 01/03/11 07:27 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Slogger]
Memphian Offline

Loc: Memphis, Tennessee, USA
I'll second the recommendatin for the Stedman guide. The maps are very detailed and you can download GPS waypoints. Most of the time you won't need the waypoints, but sometimes it's nice to know you're headed the right direction and how far it is to the next one. Also, fiddling with your GPS will give you something to keep you occupied since you'll be alone.

#60081 - 01/03/11 07:27 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Slogger]
Evil Budgie Offline

I'll sneak over to the Lake District and have a wander again in the next few weeks. Wanted to go back to Lake Windermere anyway, got tons of it left to explore.

Will bookmark the links and have a proper think later. Thanks for those.

Hmm Inov8. Suppose I could always take a big black marker pen to the branding.

Apparently this e-retailer:

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/

is one mile's walk away and has Inov8 stuff. Most of the stuff on that site looks a bit overkill for me though (I'm a cheapskate).

#60085 - 01/03/11 08:29 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Hi Craig

I admire your ideal of raising awareness of Asperger's syndrome. In fact one of my children "shows symptoms of Aspergers" as it is so politely put. Fortunately he is on the very early end of the spectrum and it mainly manifests itself by his literal acceptance of words and phrases, unable to see the humour in "pull your socks up" etc.

Boots..... Living in Middlesbrough, why don't you call in at Richmond and visit the Altberg shop. They are the only remaining British bootmaker and supply the local army bases and the police motorcyclists with their footwear. I wear them professionally and can't recommend them too highly. The staff, as well, know what they are talking about! They are on the industrial estate where they have an outlet shop. Allow yourself a good hour and take your own socks with you. I would also recommend a good quality insole.

Walking in May it will be very difficult to get lost. Just sit down for 5 minutes and check with the next person that passes! Don't get hung up on getting a better GPS unless you plan to do a lot of walking once the C to C is over.

If you are worried about fitness you have some excellent walking on your doorstep. Try the Scarth Nick to Hagg's gate section of the C to c going over the tops. Will tell you how fit you are, but I really don't think that you need to worry

Just look forward to it and enjoy it.

#60094 - 02/03/11 12:56 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: slowcoach]
Evil Budgie Offline

Yea most of the battle is fighting the ignorance and prejudice spread by the media. When the Daily Mail can have a front page headline using the phrase "Asperger's Victim" (relating to the hacker Gary McKinnon) and my complaint gets nowhere there's something very wrong with this country. It's very common seeing "Asperger's sufferer" or similar too, about 1 in 3 BBC articles I searched through a while back had that. People are going to miss out on being diagnosed (generally very important) because of the stigma attached to a formal diagnosis. As well as being more likely to be the victim of prejudice, bullying etc. So it will be about education and highlighting the way it is portrayed by the media (and even by solicitors trying to get patently neuro-typical yobs off assault charges by saying they're suspected Aspies).

Anyway Richmond is a bit out of the way to be honest. It would be a long journey just for some boots.

I'd have to be pretty desperate to be asking someone directions. When I went to Malta last year I was swapping hotels from Sliema to Bugibba. In my wisdom I didn't bother passing my luggage to some other Scrabblers who were going by taxi and decided to walk it, see Malta properly. The walk was approximately 9 miles and I was wheeling 19kg in one luggage bag, with a few kilos in a laptop bag, plus camera around my neck. 7 1/2 miles in the rubber one of the wheels melted a bit so I had to try and carry it. I managed to walk straight past my hotel and on another mile before I asked anyone where it was.

#60095 - 02/03/11 06:59 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
slowcoach Offline

In fairness, things are much better today than they were as Aspergers is now accepted as a recognised condition. Turn back the clock 35 years and it was met with condemnation at school etc. When we first became concerned at some of our son's behaviour he received no help, school thought he was just strange and doctor's dismissed it. Had we been 35 years younger his problems (as they exist) would have been identifies straight away and help offered. But, as I say, we are fortunate as he is on the very very beginning of the spectrum and his obsession is quite difficult to notice as regards outsiders.

#60097 - 02/03/11 03:39 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
I'll sneak over to the Lake District and have a wander again in the next few weeks. Wanted to go back to Lake Windermere anyway, got tons of it left to explore.

Will bookmark the links and have a proper think later. Thanks for those.

Hmm Inov8. Suppose I could always take a big black marker pen to the branding.

Apparently this e-retailer:

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/

is one mile's walk away and has Inov8 stuff. Most of the stuff on that site looks a bit overkill for me though (I'm a cheapskate).

Hi Craig.
Good on ya for trying to raise awareness for Aspergers.My son has it and when he was younger there was no help at all for him.

As for being a cheapskate....join the party.
I have yet to pay full price for any of my kit to date so far.
Go Outdoors can be good for kit if you catch the sales.
I am doing the walk in June.Just check out the Total Novice thread on here,and you should find all you need to know as I asked the same questions when I started it ages ago.

Good luck and best wishes.......and I'd go with the Stedman,but keep AW wit you for inspiration.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#60105 - 02/03/11 07:48 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
slowcoach Offline

Of course he's a cheapskate ... to me Middlesbrough is still part of Yorkshire.

#60107 - 02/03/11 08:40 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: slowcoach]
Evil Budgie Offline

I was born and raised north of the Tees. To me Yorkshire is just some rubbish cricket team Durham gets to trounce many times per season.

I'm very much anti-books by the way. I'm not vaguely interested in reading books for leisure. So I'd only be using a guide for practicality.

#60114 - 03/03/11 01:40 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
xraysteve Offline

Agree with Memphian about the GPS.

Way points in the Stedman book make a good back up, the Stedman is a good guide and we used the GPS £ times in anger all the way across but it was nice to know we had it

#60140 - 05/03/11 07:12 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: xraysteve]
Evil Budgie Offline

Okay will make a mental note of the Stedman book.

Given my use of cameras I'm wondering about places I could recharge the batteries. Basically anywhere with a normal plug socket. I guess the camp sites would have something. Also any libraries, internet cafes, wifi access etc. along the route. I probably won't bring a laptop with me (the hard drive has broken 4 times in less than a year) but it's an option. I would kinda like to update the website whilst still on the walk, if possible.

#60141 - 05/03/11 08:05 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
I'm wondering about places I could recharge the batteries.

Most pubs will let you use their plugs providing you spend some money there, not a hardship really!
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#60178 - 09/03/11 07:06 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Harland]
Evil Budgie Offline

Not a big pub person but I'll try and hang around, might find a machine with Word Soup on it if I'm lucky (easy money).

Bought some walking trainers which seem reasonably robust and are waterproof (allegedly). Needed some trainers anyway, coming back with muddy toes each time I walk out to Saltholme is probably not healthy.

From what I've read on here walking boots you'll be paying ~£100 for decent ones? How about for suitable trousers?

When I was at Sports Direct today (where I got my trainers from) there was loads of Karrimor stuff which was very cheap. My grandad used to always buy Hi-Tec boots apparently which are also cheap. Then there were brands like Scarpa and something else I've forgot which were £100 or so.

#60179 - 09/03/11 07:31 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
Slogger Offline

In the summer moths I prefer to wear shorts. Even if it's a bit chilly, the legs can usually take it, and once you've done a mile or so you are warmed up anyway.
Failing shorts tracker bottoms are the next best, imo. Nice and light and soon dry if they get some rain on them.
Dave.

#60180 - 09/03/11 08:11 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

You need to decide on how much walking you intend to do after the Coast to Coast and cut your cloth accordingly.

At a minimum you need good quality, comfortable boots worn with equally as comfortable socks (I wear two pairs but that is purely a matter of preference, not necessity). I would also recommend a good quality pair of insoles, they can make walking far more enjoyable but, that again is preference.

You also need waterproofs to suit your purpose. If this is to be the first of many walks it is worthwhile investing in a decent pair, however, you can get away with cheaper ones if this is a one off.

Beyond that, you can use basic everyday clothes. Today, I have been up Seat Sandal in a bitter wind, freezing temperatures and occasional sleet showers. My trousers, shirt, underwear, thermal vest, scarf, hat, gloves and fleece were all bog standard stuff .... no fancy names, but I was as warm as toast (all right, I also had a down jacket on).

My fleece was a fiver at Millets, my trousers, hat, scarf and gloves were unbranded from a market and my Thermal vest was M and S sale. So don't get uptight about Berghaus, Rohan, Craghopper etc accessories, get the basic footwear and waterproofs and you can raid your wardrobe for the rest.

Be aware when choosing legwear that tics are an increasing problem.

#60203 - 11/03/11 01:52 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Harland]
mickey Offline

Hi Craig, good luck with the trip

As others have said the key to a successful C2C is boots, this is the one area you don't want to scrimp. Scarpa are great boots, I have a pair of Trek GTX which I have done the C2C in twice and they have kept my feet dry and blister free. I would say that on both trips it was cheap boots (Hi-Tec, Regatta etc) which caused most problems for people, blisters leaks etc.

The other item you might want to consider investing a bit of money in is a decent waterproof jacket. It will probably spend most of its time in your pack, bust when you need it you want to be sure it keeps you dry and is reasonably breathable.

As for tents I would really recommend the Terra Nova/Wild Country Aspect 1 tent. You can pick this up for £70-100 online. At 1.75kg it is light, you won’t be able to get a lighter tent without forking out a lot more money. I have just sold another lighter tent to get this one purely for its ease of pitching. A friend had it on our last trip and from getting it out of the bag to climbing in it was about one minute. It is a single pitch tent which means the tent and flysheet are attached to each other and only has two hooped poles. The peg attachments are elasticated so there’s no faffing about trying to tension them up. To pitch it you simply lay the tent on the ground, clip on the two poles, put in the 8 pegs and get in. It is very roomy for a single tent (hence the slightly higher weight) and has great ventilation so no condensation. It also stood up very well to severe wind and rain.

For general clothing TK-MAXX is a good place to pick up cheap kit. They usually have a decent collection of Crag Hoppers and Lowe Alpine at very reasonable prices. Ideally you want quick drying trousers as occasionally you will get caught out with the weather and wicking t-shirts (same material as footballer's shirts) as these don't get all sticky with sweat like cotton ones and again are fast drying. Again TK-MAXX has a lot of these in the sports section which you could get pretty cheap.

We used the Martin Wainwright guide book on our trips as it has the Ordnance Survey maps included in it which I prefer over hand drawn maps. The good thing about OS maps in the book is they have grid references, so it is easy to match your GPS’s grid reference to where you are on the map. Also if you get lost and go off the map it is easy to get back onto the map.

Mick

#60205 - 11/03/11 06:18 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: mickey]
Evil Budgie Offline

I'm happy with the coat I've got (Parallel £50, marked down from £100), I've had it for a few months and it's windproof and haven't had problems with rain. It's reasonably thin and light.

Do people have any novel ways of avoiding the backpack sweat? My back was absolutely drenched a couple of weeks ago and I'd only walked a few miles (was when the temperature scraped into double figures).

I'm planning on taking 3-4 thin long-sleeved shirts and either one or two pairs of waterproof trousers (presumably they're easy to clean). That includes what I'd be wearing. Don't do shorts.

Will try and have a few days out somewhere in early April, just before the brats are off again. I'm very flexible with free time so I can go wherever, whenever really.

#60206 - 11/03/11 07:41 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
slowcoach Offline

There are plenty of rucksacks on the market that leave a gap between your back and the sac itself (varied names including windtunnel, airspace, airflow etc etc). Claims (and mine does) they eliminate sweating.

Mine (for shorter walks, weekend solo camping) is a 40+10 litre Karrimore from Mountain Warehouse which cost me £30. Does everything that I need and extremely comfortable. My larger one,a 60 litre, also a Karrimore, cost £40 in a local shop sale.

If you does "glow" as much as you suggest you are going to find the C to C an unpleasant trial. Why not invest in a airflow one? Don't go over the top pricewise, just make sure that it is comfortable.

If you are a member of Ramblers/YHA/ or are still breathing you can get discount at a lot of walking shops. If they won't let you have it, walk away.

The "brats" seldom give problems, it's the Saga Louts that I have the most problems with.

#60207 - 11/03/11 11:59 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: slowcoach]
Evil Budgie Offline

To be fair I was wearing a different bag to my backpack, but I'll still have that problem to some degree with my backpack in the parts that contact my back. It has like a spongy padded bit but there's no airflow going on.

It's the brats at a camping site or travelling I'd be worried about. Not that I'm intolerant or anything. I just don't like children, old people who make you wait behind them by doing blocking manoeuvres that would make Michael Schumacher cry, chavs, drunks, arrogant thick people, Geordies, Jonathan Davies, dog emptiers and today most of the England cricket team.

#60208 - 12/03/11 08:00 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
slowcoach Offline

Quite an easy going chap then?

#60214 - 12/03/11 12:18 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Your back is going to sweat when wearing a backpack, simple as that. With a Nylon back on your sac, you will sweat more, with an absorbent padded material, some of the sweat will be absorbed away from your back. With a ventilated back system you will sweat less as SC says.
If you wear cotton clothing your back etc will feel worse as the material will absorb lots of sweat. Good wickable clothing will have you feeling more comfortable.
I have built up a good sweat many a time, but wearing a good sweat transport clothing system leaves the first layer dry, as the sweat gets wicked through to the outer layer where it evaporates.
However even with a system like this you will often still get that wet streak down your back, when working hard.
Dave.

#60296 - 19/03/11 01:37 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Slogger]
Evil Budgie Offline

Okay had a look around Go Outdoors today. I was quite liking the look of the Vango Ultralite 200 sleeping bag (packs really small), but thinking I'll need the next one up (300) as otherwise it wouldn't be warm enough. I'm thinking my 6' 2" frame should just about squeeze in.

There were tons of trousers to choose from. I have no idea whatsoever whether one meaningless name is better than another. And they tell you sweet FA on the labels. There was some North Face ones I liked that were about £40-45, green colour - from a purely aesthetic/feel/beltless point of view. Don't remember any other details. Seemed pretty impossible to get anywhere with that.

With tents do the better ones need a separate ground sheet or are they fine as they are?

Oh and mattress. Foam, inflatable or otherwise? They were pretty expensive I thought.

#60297 - 19/03/11 07:26 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
slowcoach Offline

Walking gear is no different from a lot of others equipment that folks buy. Some people have to have the latest iphone, tv, car etc, some walkers need to have the latest trousers, shirts, jumpers etc regardless of whether they are actually better than more cost effective items. This is what some manufacturers rely on ... people buying because they are "new" or "cool".

There is absolutely no need to fork out £40 to £50 on labelled trousers. Go for a cheaper pair. If you really want specialist ones you can pick up Regatta or Craghoppers Kiwis at sales or on the net (or even clones) far cheaper.

I would certainly go for (what I call) a sewn in groundsheet. Much more convenient in wet weather.

I use an self inflating mattress (Antioch, then £50). This was the best when I bought it (as I like a good nights sleep), but far cheaper ones are now available. I believe Lidl were selling them at about £12 quite recently. Again, much more convenient and comfy in my opinion.

You can drain your bank account quite alarmingly if you go OTT. Today, adequate equipment is available quite cheaply if you shop around. As I have said quite frequently, walk around Keswick, Ambleside, Hawes and you see specialist gear by the boatload. Go onto the hills and it is as rare as hens teeth!

Good boots, socks, waterproofs are essential and make do with the rest unless you intend to be a regular walker.

#60308 - 19/03/11 03:27 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Starting from basically scratch is going to cost. My own collection of excellent gear has been purchased over many years, usually one thing at a time, as I have discovered from my own experiences, what is good and what is bad.
As SC says you can get adequate gear quite cheaply, but naturally you shouldn't expect it to be the best or anywhere near the best. You may not understand quite what I mean by that, but after a time you will. You will find annoying little things with your gear, be a comfort issue, weight, or rapid disintegration, then you will understand why quality is important.
As the saying goes 'Pay cheap, pay twice'.
Having said that, I have bought expensive items and quickly discovered that they are not quite what I was looking for. My son has built up quite a collection of my brand new cast offs.
I have also bought cheaper items, when doing something special and when experimenting, rather than buy top quality that I may end up not using much.
In fact I have just taken delivery of a two season Sleeping Bag which for the price appears excellent and had a built in optional Midge net. I am thinking this being if synthetic fill may be better for Bivvy baggin than my Down bag. Time and testing will tell. Have a look at the site, apart from the bag look at other gear some really good prices for kit that may not be the best but certainly is better than adequate:-
http://www.gapyeartravelstore.com/Snugpak-Traveller-2-Season-Sleeping-Bag-p-391.html
Dave.

#60318 - 19/03/11 11:07 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Slogger]
Evil Budgie Offline

Yea I want stuff that'll last and I'll be looking around online. It's about value really. If something is more expensive but it's better value because it will last and it's quality then I'll buy it without a second thought. I walk out and about plenty anyway.

Anyway good value or not:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/monte-cargo-pant-p159218

#60322 - 20/03/11 12:38 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
Slogger Offline

Yea I want stuff that'll last and I'll be looking around online. It's about value really. If something is more expensive but it's better value because it will last and it's quality then I'll buy it without a second thought. I walk out and about plenty anyway.

Anyway good value or not:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/monte-cargo-pant-p159218

Yes excellent value, I have a similar pair by Rohan, which cost around £100, over ten years ago and still going strong.
The only thing is, these are pure Winter trousers and are far too warm in anything but really cold conditions.
You will be better off with some lightweight quick drying trousers and taking separate waterproof trousers for when it rains heavily. Don't spend much on waterproof trousers. I only spend around £20 on mine and if I get two years out of them, Ive had good value.
Have alook at these, especially:-
Craghoppers Mens Classic (Long)
Pro Climate
Hi Gear Typhoon Waterproof Over trousers.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mens/clothing/legwear
Dave.

#60431 - 25/03/11 12:32 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Slogger]
Evil Budgie Offline

Okay here's my provisional shopping list:

Cheap waterproof foldy up coat thing (got one already which I'll test out).
Craghoppers Mens Classic (Long)
Hi Gear Typhoon Waterproof Over trousers
The North Face Men's Sequoia Long-sleeve shirt (I only wear long-sleeved stuff)
Vango Tempest 200 tent (room for two, which I'm sure will come in handy eventually)
Vango Ultralite 300 sleeping bag
Camera stuff
Karrimor summit WP mens walking trainers (had these for a couple of weeks - very happy with them, particularly at less than £30, they're also deliberately on the spacious side so they'll fit after swelling - they're a 46 euro size)
Scarpa Terra GTX boots (assuming they'll fit etc., go up to 47 euro size apparently)

Any personal experiences with this stuff, again would I need a groundsheet for the tent?

#60434 - 25/03/11 09:06 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
Slogger Offline

All sounds good to me, except that I would get a more substantial waterproof jacket.
The Vango tent has a built in groundsheet as per norm for modern tents. You wont need a separate groundsheet, although I often take a separate 'footprint' with mine which is spread out beneath the sewn in one. This isn't usually necessary but protects the tent groundsheet on stony and muddy ground.
I have an Ultralite sleeping bag, which is excellent and can be well compressed.
Dave.

#60442 - 25/03/11 08:19 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

If you are taking a fleece with you I would just go for a normal shirt and not bother with a specialist one.

I would also consider taking a lightweight mattress (self inflating?)A good nights kip can make the following day far more comfortable (in my opinion)

#60445 - 25/03/11 08:53 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: slowcoach]
Evil Budgie Offline

Not taking a fleece no, cold won't be a problem, over-heating probably will be. I'll get some sort of mattress or rolling foam thing - I'll sleep on practically anything really so isn't a big issue.

#60447 - 25/03/11 09:57 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
slowcoach Offline

Don't underestimate the effects of wind chill on the tops, especially the Lakes. Even in mid summer the higher peaks and the exposed moorlands can be far colder than the sheltered valleys especially if you find that are unexpectedly camping in a frost hollow (yes we can have frosts in June and July in the hills). Even on some summer days the temperature may not warm up to a comfortable level until 9 or 10am. You will need some form of warm upper body covering other than a coat.

#60450 - 26/03/11 12:02 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: slowcoach]
Evil Budgie Offline

I don't feel the cold in the morning. I've a weird response to temperature. My hands will feel the cold because my circulation is terrible, I'll have some cheap hat/gloves for that. For virtually all of winter and autumn two layers has been enough.

#60456 - 26/03/11 02:41 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
Slogger Offline

I agree two layers are enough and I find that a fleece is far too warm even in winter for walking with a jacket on top, and they are heavy when in the sac.
Sleep mats are not only for comfort but act as an insulation barrier between sleeping bag and ground. If no such barrier is used the ground will try its best to bring you down to its temperature.
Dave.

#60466 - 26/03/11 08:58 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

Accidents happen to the best prepared walkers and you only need to put your leg down a hidden hole and you could find yourself out on the high moors with a broken leg and night fast approaching. For this reason, and also because I often walk solo, I find it important to carry a storm shelter and a fleece in my rucksack in case of such a mishap. Negligible weight and far better safe than sorry. (Obviously a tent negates the need for a storm shelter, providing the injury still enables you to erect it).

#60484 - 27/03/11 02:44 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Originally Posted By: slowcoach
Accidents happen to the best prepared walkers and you only need to put your leg down a hidden hole and you could find yourself out on the high moors with a broken leg and night fast approaching. For this reason, and also because I often walk solo, I find it important to carry a storm shelter and a fleece in my rucksack in case of such a mishap. Negligible weight and far better safe than sorry. (Obviously a tent negates the need for a storm shelter, providing the injury still enables you to erect it).

Yeah, good advice. When not carrying a tent, I also carry a survival shelter together with a survival bag, and always a spare top in the sac.
Dave.

#60489 - 27/03/11 08:07 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Slogger]
Evil Budgie Offline

Not seeing the need for a fleece. I'd have spare tops, coat of some description, a sleeping bag with a recommended range of 20C to -2C.

#60490 - 27/03/11 08:11 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
slowcoach Offline

That's fine if you have spare tops, my reply was based on the basis that they weren't on your kit list!!!!

#60533 - 30/03/11 07:57 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: slowcoach]
Evil Budgie Offline

Hmm there sure isn't much space to play with once I've put the tent and sleeping bag in the 65 litre rucksack. Can probably shove things here and there but going to struggle to fit a mattress in at this rate. I'm pretty useless at packing things mind, or indeed putting stuff back in its bag.

#60535 - 30/03/11 09:09 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
slowcoach Offline

Still time to get married before your walk? Ladies are far better at packing!

#60536 - 30/03/11 09:14 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: slowcoach]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: slowcoach
Still time to get married before your walk? Ladies are far better at packing!

Don't do that she will make you take a spare pair of underpants which you won't need!
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#60537 - 31/03/11 12:30 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Harland]
Evil Budgie Offline

I'll see if I can pick someone up along the way. Should be able to outpace them on the last leg - easier than leaving early. They can have half a Scrabble board and the Q tile in the settlement.

#60554 - 01/04/11 12:29 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
Evil Budgie Offline

So anyway how many pairs of walking socks will I need, I'm thinking I'll wear two pairs. The boots I'm getting are Goretex so ones that get the moisture away from my feet will be important.

#60556 - 01/04/11 11:11 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: slowcoach]

A point I note with interest. Being conscious of this I was less prepared for mishap with the tarp set-up I took last year. A bivvy bag would fare better for such an emergency though the tent or tarp could be wrapped around the sleeping bag if the circumstances dictated. Likewise a sleeping bag with a windproof outer ie. Pertex, is a better all-round choice.

#60566 - 01/04/11 07:00 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: lightweightmick]
slowcoach Offline

How many socks you wear is a matter of personal opinion. I also wear two pairs, although many are happy with one. I would therefore take two spare pair.

I also believe that a quality pair of insoles are a tremendous influence on comfort and minimize the likelihood of blisters developing. I wear superfeet, they are expensive, but to me they are worth their weight in gold.

Foot comfort, above all else can be a critical factor in ya walkers success or failure.

#60571 - 01/04/11 10:06 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: slowcoach]
Evil Budgie Offline

Yea. My family keep mentioning some gel insoles from Aldi or something (just search for Aldi gel insoles and they'll come up). No idea if they'll be any use, they'd maybe be an option for my walking trainers.

My feet tend to destroy what's underneath them. I'm heel-heavy, on my trainers I've basically worn through either the heel on the insole or the grip on the sole (to the point where it becomes a slipper or water comes in).

Got enough stuff to be having a minor excursion next week anyway.

#60577 - 02/04/11 02:55 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
Slogger Offline

I too wear two pairs of socks with boots and prefer Thorlo 'Trecking',. Two pairs of the Trecking are quite thick so often I will wear a pair of Thorlo Light Hiking socks as a first layer.
Don't get those Gel insoles, they don't compress enough with foot movement, the soles of your feet do instead and can lead to bruising problems.
As SC says Superfeet, the latest Orange ones are best, but cost between £30 and £40. I paid the latter when they first came out.
Sorbothane 'Double Strike' are also excellent and I prefer these on high mileage as the cushioning is second to non. They are also lighter weight than they used to be, just check you have enough depth in your boots as they are quite thick in places.
The advantage of good lightweight gear on a 12 day journey is that everything will easily fit in a 50 Litre sac with room to spare, but don't worry, most of my walking has been done, with probably similar to what you are taking.
Dave.
Dave.

#60584 - 02/04/11 08:39 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

Insoles have improved considerably since they were cork! I have worn them for a number of years now and if you change from a cheap(ish) pair to a good pair the difference is immediately noticeable. It is, of course, advantageous to buy insoles and boots together then you are sure of a good fit but it puts the cost up alarmingly. Boots ...£120 insoles ...£40 ..... but, comfortable to wear all day, never a blister and they feel like slippers.

Occasionally I guide the police on nightime lamping operations. I wear my boots for over 36 hours and still don't know I have them on.

#60591 - 02/04/11 09:18 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: slowcoach]

...are you saying lamping is illegal or only in certain locations..? I had a brush with a shooter over this last week on my 2 pubs, 2 pints midnight 8 miler in the dark last week.
I would be grateful of any information - it seems that shooters don't seem to think that anyone would be foolish enough to be out using public rights of way at night...

#60596 - 02/04/11 11:00 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: lightweightmick]
slowcoach Offline

Lamping certainly illegal, there is no question about that! The North Yorkshire police only have one full time specialist wildlife officers but many others who combine this activity with their normal patrol. This is with whom I deal.

All the patrols that I have accompanied (I don't join in with arrests etc) have involved dogs. Don't under any circumstances approach these people, they are particularly vicious. If you can get registration numbers etc pass it on to the local police station who, in their turn, will pass it on to the relevant section.

#60602 - 04/04/11 10:52 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: slowcoach]

Thanks for that SC - I'll bear it in mind!

#60809 - 14/04/11 11:36 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: lightweightmick]
Evil Budgie Offline

Okay just the socks left to get now. There's loads of brands around the £10-£20 mark, might get a North Face pair to bump my order up so I get free delivery. Any brands I should avoid? I'm a bit suspicious of the 1000 Mile ones because of the seemingly ludicrous claims.

#60811 - 15/04/11 06:17 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
slowcoach Offline

Again, the choice of socks is a matter of preference. Are you going to wear one or two pair?Are you going to carry a spare pair?

Avoid cheapo market stall ones and buy from a good walking shop and you won't go far wrong. The North Face should be fine. (I wear Bridgedale and have had no problems)

#60814 - 15/04/11 08:42 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

I agree Bridgedale Fully Engineered socks are superb (dont bother with the cheaper ones) or Thorlo Trekking (quite thick, so extra foot room required)
Personally I would avoid 1,000 and Smartwool. The 1,000 have never worked for me and the Smartwool soon lose their shape and the feet slide about inside them.
Dave.

#60852 - 18/04/11 10:22 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

From what I have seen on St Sunday Crag today scrap your equipment list completely.

What you need are skimpy shorts which just cover your bottom. A low cut top that causes bruising to your chin as you shuffle down hill and flip-flops.

Go for it!

(Might go back up it tomorrow)

#61170 - 01/05/11 11:44 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: slowcoach]
Evil Budgie Offline

Will be setting off on Tuesday, early train and copying the (12 day) itinerary MarkDay posted a while back (probably a fairly typical itinerary). Unfortunately couldn't get my second camera body in time (unless I fancied forking out an extra £200 to get it at a normal retailer) and have been a bit rushed so will be a bit limited with the raising awareness stuff I wanted to do - I'll do that all again properly at a later date when I'm better organised.

Can't wait to eat some sausage rolls and pork pies again. I'm fairly sure the walking thing will outweigh eating unhealthy stuff.

#61175 - 02/05/11 11:59 AM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
Slogger Offline

Will be setting off on Tuesday, early train and copying the (12 day) itinerary MarkDay posted a while back (probably a fairly typical itinerary). Unfortunately couldn't get my second camera body in time (unless I fancied forking out an extra £200 to get it at a normal retailer) and have been a bit rushed so will be a bit limited with the raising awareness stuff I wanted to do - I'll do that all again properly at a later date when I'm better organised.

Can't wait to eat some sausage rolls and pork pies again. I'm fairly sure the walking thing will outweigh eating unhealthy stuff.

Have a good one, it looks like the weather may hold for at least a few more days, though a bit breezy.
Dave.

#61184 - 02/05/11 10:03 PM Re: Newbie 12+ day journey [Re: Evil Budgie]
Ozzie M & H Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Depends on how many sausage rolls and pork pies you eat!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917