The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60197 - 11/03/11 08:47 AM ShelterBox
HB Offline

Loc: Norfolk, UK
Following a number or natural disasters around the world, my walking buddies and I decided to raise money to buy two Shelter Boxes (£590 each) to assist those who have been made homeless following these terrible events.

We are walking the West Highland Way starting on 6th May and have set up a Just Giving page. If you would like to donate please click on this link.
http://www.justgiving.com/HeatherandJenny

Thank you for reading this. As I'm writing this there is news of another disaster - and earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

#60215 - 12/03/11 12:21 PM Re: ShelterBox [Re: HB]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Well done HB a caring thought.
Re Japan, what can you say, words just dont fit the bill.
Dave.

#60263 - 17/03/11 07:31 AM Re: ShelterBox [Re: Slogger]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
At the time of the Russian atomic explosion I was working in Leningrad when the cloud blew over. We did not know about it at the time as no one told us a thing. When we saw soldiers checking food stuffs with Geiger counters we started asking questions and were told to shower a lot and drink milk. When we finally got to Moscow airport the soldiers there were checking our throats with these counters, but passed us on. On arrival at Geneva we had to go to the University hospital in Lausanne to be checked for contamination. That was a strange experience, as we had to lay naked on a slow moving table that passed under a lamp sort of thing that put a charge into our bodies. We then had to stand in a cabinet with our bare feet on metal bars and our hands on metal plates. Lights on a display outside the cabinet started flashing “safe”. Afterwards we asked the technician what a safe level was..he said, “Well we know what kills you, but we are not sure what is a safe level.” My colleague who was working in the Ukraine at the time of the explosion said that he was standing watching the red glow in the sky but did not know about what it was until he got to Holland. We both met up naked on the same metal bed in the hospital in Lausanne.

#60264 - 17/03/11 08:23 AM Re: ShelterBox [Re: Oldun]
HB Offline

Loc: Norfolk, UK
Oldun, what an experience, one that I'm sure you wouldn't want to go through again. I take it there have been of after effects for you and that the 'safe' statement really did mean safe.

Let us hope that there is not an explosion in Japan, I think that they have been through enough, and of course we just don't know the effects it will have on the rest of the world. All in the name of progress and want.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917