Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2630
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1462
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8252 Members
17 Forums
3340 Topics
34932 Posts

Max Online: 234 @ 03/05/12 11:34 AM
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60581 - 02/04/11 03:32 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: Slogger]
walkanddrink Offline

Loc: Blackpool
unfortunately my running days are definately over due to knee problems. I can manage the C2C with very little pain, couple of miles running and I'm laid up for a week on pain killers.

Mick

#60582 - 02/04/11 08:30 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: walkanddrink]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Unfortunately there has been no post from the person that I met. He was quite shocked to learn that I had been told about the walk, Evidently it is known under another name but he wouldn't tell me what it was! This is because the overnights are unauthorized and it would cause problems if it was known that an official group was camping unofficially.

#60590 - 02/04/11 09:12 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: slowcoach]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Ha ha... the 'whispering grass' of the C2C - I only learned of Barry Pincer via Keith at Cromwell's - he's become some kind of legendary ghost to me lol - seriously though, 3 days carrying your own kit has to be up there...

#60635 - 06/04/11 08:40 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I agree Mick, it has to be up there. Obviously some of it was run.
I think attempting a 3.5 day crossing with your own kit and walking all of it, you would probably not need the kit as you would have to be walking most of the time.
190 miles in 3.5 days works out at at an average non stop pace of 2.25mph.
That would be a good non stopper!
Dave.

#60738 - 11/04/11 07:33 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: Slogger]
sgtjames Offline

testing

#60739 - 11/04/11 07:35 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: sgtjames]
sgtjames Offline

Slowcoach.

I have had to wait until my details have been approved, hence the delay in responding to your request.

#60741 - 11/04/11 08:02 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: sgtjames]
sgtjames Offline

I successfully took part in the 65 hour challenge in both 2003 and 2004 before assisting in the organisation of it in 2005. The details are for the years that I was involved and may have changed.

The challenge has been an annual event for about 20 years now. It is usually timed to coincide with the longest days in June.

Participants are expected to have completed the walk beforehand in under 100 hours, self contained throughout. This is not verified.

They leave St Bees at 0400 and aim to cover 72 miles in the first period of walking. (24 x 3mph). They walk in groups of 4 maximum and file their own route plan. After leaving St Bees they rendezvous at a prearrange overnight site.

They must be ready to leave this site at 0600 the next morning. Anyone unable to leave at this time is not permitted to continue. Leaving before 0600 is also not permitted so as the challenge is not turned into a race.

They rendezvous for the second night after 145 miles. Leaving the following morning at 0800. This leaving 40 miles or so on the last day to be covered in 13 hours.

Numbers are usually about 50 of which up to 10 will drop out. These are collected by a minibus which meets them as close as possible to the camp site each night or on the route if called.

Fatigue is not usually a problem unless the weather is overhot. Sleep is no problem as most participants get at least 3 or 4 hours over the short period.

The need to use unlicensed sites is the reason for the lack of publicity about the challenge and participants are not permitted to publicise their exploits. I am disappointed that this story came out. For this reason non identifiable clothing is worn.

This is a coast to coast walk, not THE coast to coast walk and their routes are at their discretion. There is no need to go off road and no requirements to pass any place other than the overnight campsites.

I hope this clarifies what used to happen.

I can offer no further information as what happens today may have changed considerably.

#60742 - 11/04/11 09:17 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: sgtjames]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Got it, so it's primarily a road route.
Getting 3 or 4 hours rest at camps means that it is not completed as a pure walk but as what I refer to as 'Free Styling'. Averaging a constant moving speed in excess of 4mph, means some walking with a lot of running/trotting, and clearly a young mans game.
Sounds a bit like the TGO across Scotland challenge held every year, only at a faster pace.
I wish I had known about it 20 years ago.
Dave.

#60749 - 11/04/11 11:03 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: Slogger]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Originally Posted By: Slogger
Got it, so it's primarily a road route.
Getting 3 or 4 hours rest at camps means that it is not completed as a pure walk but as what I refer to as 'Free Styling'. Averaging a constant moving speed in excess of 4mph, means some walking with a lot of running/trotting, and clearly a young mans game.
Sounds a bit like the TGO across Scotland challenge held every year, only at a faster pace.
I wish I had known about it 20 years ago.
Dave.

But you would have been held up by the other 49

#60750 - 11/04/11 11:04 PM Re: For speed aficianados [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
dunno wot appent theere. me post got lost int quote.
polo gees

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

Copyright The Sherpa Van Project, 29 The Green, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4RG. Tel 0871 5200124 Fax (44) 01748 825561