The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#58088 - 06/09/10 08:44 PM What is the WHW really like?
Itsalongway Offline

Thinking about the WHW after completing the C2C, but I have heard conflicting reports - one that it is great scenery, lovely walk, worth doing as a follow up to the C2C

On the other hand, that it is a wide boring concrete path, you just walk along it, scenery might be nice but there is no challenge, no route finding, it lacks the charm and interest of the C2C.

Any feedback from those who have done it? Thanks

#58094 - 07/09/10 11:06 AM Re: What is the WHW really like? [Re: Itsalongway]
rogere Offline

Loc: UK
The WHW is half the length of the C2C and quite a bit flatter, although there are some tougher sections (Devils Staircase, alongside Loch Lomond). I think it may have been better if you had done them the other way round, as the WHW is a good warm up for the C2C! The scenery on the WHW is excellent and the paths are generally very good and easy going (nothing like 9 Standards on the C2C). Route finding is indeed relatively straightforward and you are often quite near the A82 road, so it doesn't always feel very remote. Still a splendid walk, but will probably seem a bit gentle after the C2C. After the C2C, you are looking at the Pennine Way or the Southern Upland Way for a comparable (or worse) challenge.....

#58096 - 07/09/10 02:06 PM Re: What is the WHW really like? [Re: rogere]
June Offline

Loc: Birmingham, West Midlands
I think there is quite a similar feel to the CtoC - meeting up with others doing the same walk at the evening pub visit, which is always interesting, for instance. If you want a bit of extra challenge, then do Ben Lomond, and finish with Ben Nevis, or there are some serious hills in Glencoe, if you've the time.

#58101 - 07/09/10 11:06 PM Re: What is the WHW really like? [Re: June]
Itsalongway Offline

Thanks. It is always good to hear others opinions. I hadn't heard of the S Upland Way. As you say, there is the option of a Ben or two on the WHW.

#58126 - 09/09/10 10:16 AM Re: What is the WHW really like? [Re: Itsalongway]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: Itsalongway
On the other hand, that it is a wide boring concrete path, you just walk along it, scenery might be nice but there is no challenge, no route finding, it lacks the charm and interest of the C2C.

Whilst I did prefer the C2C I didn't find the WHW boring and I don't remember a concrete path. The navigation was certainly easier although the C2C isn't that difficult either. I guess that the only bit that disappointed me was alongside Loch Lomond where, for most of the way, you couldn't get open views across the Loch. But every walk is what you make of it, I was pleased that I did it and it was more enjoyable than the Great Glen Way. I agree that if you want a walk with more of a challenge and route finding then in my opinion the Pennine Way is the one to go for. Whatever you choose I am sure that you will enjoy yourself.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#58163 - 10/09/10 09:03 PM Re: What is the WHW really like? [Re: Harland]
*tim* Offline

Loc: Suffolk
I agree with Harland. WHW is certainly not boring and the paths are not made of concrete. However the section between Bridge of Orchy and Kingshouse(?) is extremely well surfaced and you could drive a car along it, the scenery makes up for it but I kept want to get off the path and explore the mountains.

Next long distance walk I shall be doing is Cape Wrath Trail, or possibly Mont Blanc to the Matterhorn... However, there is plenty of Munros to climb first smile

#60869 - 19/04/11 07:49 PM Re: What is the WHW really like? [Re: Itsalongway]
Vextasy Offline

One big difference between the WHW and the coast to coast in my view is that it would be easy to walk the WHW without a map whereas the coast to coast really requires navigation in parts.

Also the distances between the obvious stops are a little shorter. I puzzled over this for some time and then came to the conclusion that in really poor weather (which I guess it might be more prone to) those distances might feel quite long enough.

I like the feeling you get on the WHW of walking away from the city and towards wilder terrain.

I really enjoyed the WHW although it felt like an easier walk than the coast to coast. I wrote some notes about my experience here: http://vextasy.wordpress.com/2011/04/16/notes-from-the-west-highland-way/

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917