The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2884
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1676
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35939 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#61165 - 01/05/11 01:05 PM Cleveland Way 2011
flatlands Offline

I'm planning to walk the Cleveland Way in a week's time, start and finish from/to Saltburn, with Scarborough Filey section being omitted and will instead get the bus from Scarborough to Helmsley to continue the rest of the walk.

The Cleveland Way is long overdue and would make a ideal week-long walk, despite no pre-training, that is a gamble. But, I find out after a day or two on how I feel, otherwise, I will pop over to Goathland and spend the rest of the week there, so it wouldn't be a waste of a holiday.

#61176 - 02/05/11 12:05 PM Re: Cleveland Way 2011 [Re: flatlands]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Si is the tour of Yorkshire Cycle ride Off?
Dave.

#61177 - 02/05/11 02:13 PM Re: Cleveland Way 2011 [Re: Slogger]
flatlands Offline

Guess so, hearts not in it at the moment. I've wanted to do the Cleveland Way for a long time and this is my chance to do it.

But the good news is that, I'm planning a Yorkshire Dales and Coast to Coast cycling route combined, the best of both worlds really.

But the Cleveland Way is on for me.

#61186 - 03/05/11 06:29 AM Re: Cleveland Way 2011 [Re: flatlands]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Excellent walking conditions at the moment. The coastal section is dry, no boggy patches and with clear views rights along the coast in both directions. Should be an enjoyable walk for you.

Goathland has been exceptionally busy over the bank holidays. Hope that it quietens down for you. If you have any energy left you could try out the new concessionary route.

Pick a ROW to Moorgates. There is now a concessionary route from the other side of the railway bridge to Ellerbeck where there is a new footbridge across the river. A path has been cut around the west of Fen Moor via Fen Houses to Saltergate. Then Malo Cross north across the moor to where the RAF have opened a concessionary, waymarked, route around the station back to Ellerbeck.

(You can get a bus back from the Hole of Horcum car park or the old pub back to Goathland to shorted it.

#61411 - 15/05/11 09:04 PM Re: Cleveland Way 2011 [Re: slowcoach]
flatlands Offline

Well, I did the Cleveland Way, but only as far as Whitby. I started at Saltburn-by-the-Sea, staying at Park Farm camping barn, Camped at Blue Bell Inn, Ingleby Cross, camped at Bungdale Head, Scawton, Scarborough YH and Boggle Hole YH.

Weather was better than I thought, having sunshine and showers. The walk went ok, apart from one heel blister and some hard skin on my left toe, which might be a corn. The conditions underfoot were bone-dry, even after a 20 minute shower, the soil just dried up fairly quickly.

A very enjoyable walk and got to have a good look around the Rievaulx Abbey and Ravenscar "the town that never was", that has a long and interesting past. I would like to return to Ravenscar for a few days to take a closer at the Alum and brick works, take a closer look at the street plan and a walk along the dis-used rail track. Yes, a good walk.

#61429 - 16/05/11 07:38 PM Re: Cleveland Way 2011 [Re: flatlands]
slowcoach Offline

Ravenscar is indeed a fascinating lace ..... but ... a few days is pushing it! If the alum works takes your fancy there are regular (ish) guided walks around it. Look in the "events" section of the national park website. The street plan and a further display are in the National Centre just before the Raven Hall Hotel entrance.

#61437 - 17/05/11 12:09 AM Re: Cleveland Way 2011 [Re: slowcoach]
flatlands Offline

Thanks for that info, SC. I did pass the National Centre, didn't think about a display in there.

Regards to the town plan, it did seem like good idea to plan such a thing. However, it is fairly high up above the beach and very windy. So, not a good thing really.

When I was having a bowl of soup in the tea-room on Station Square, I noticed on the walls, some interesting photographs of Ravenscar, that there was a phone box. The guy who served me, said at one time many years ago, that there was a butchers shop on Station Square, Ravenscar. I find that really amazing. I'll have to pop back there in August on the bike and base myself at Bent Rigg farm for a few days. I love them sort of places, if only for the fantastic history it holds.

#61439 - 17/05/11 06:01 AM Re: Cleveland Way 2011 [Re: flatlands]
slowcoach Offline

Ravenscar has been the source of a lot of local ill-feeling of late. A beauty of the village is its lack of light at night. Sitting on one of the village eats near the Raven Hall and looking along the coast is a real pleasure. You can see along to Bay and upwards into the light-obscured sky.

Then in-comers started to arrive from the towns. "Where are the street lights?" they cried. "And why do we want them?" replied the locals. "Cos it gets dark at night" was their response. "Yes, because this is the c..o..u..n..t..r..y..s..i..d..e."

You will notice that a compromise has been reached and there are now some lights. I hope these are the last!

Have you been into the Pannet park museum at Whitby? A genuine traditional old-fashioned museum. Well worth a visit. Google "Hand of Glory" and "tempest prognosticator". They have them both!

#61440 - 17/05/11 06:02 AM Re: Cleveland Way 2011 [Re: slowcoach]
slowcoach Offline

Seat, of course. B****** this kreyboard.

#61449 - 17/05/11 09:03 PM Re: Cleveland Way 2011 [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Flatlands,
Well done glad you had a good walk, fairly undulating eh.
What did they charge you for camping at the Blue Bell Ing X?
I didn't want to make a fuss so said nothing and it was a good meal anyway, but, I had Sirloin & Chips @ 13 plus a single pint of Guinness, Cost? and the bill came to 23.
Dave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917