The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#61384 - 13/05/11 09:21 PM walking alone
Cotty Offline

Loc: Oldham
I'm starting the C2C in June and doing most of it alone. My friends and family are doom mongers and are concerned that I'm walking alone....not concerned enough to join me though! I never have any problems when I walk alone around the peak district where I live. Should I be concerned?

#61385 - 13/05/11 09:34 PM Re: walking alone [Re: Cotty]
HackPacker Offline

Plenty of us do it alone. I've always just taken sensible precautions such as:

1. Wear bright clothing so that if I do fall down alone I can be easily seen. Some of my mates scoff at my yellow North Face jacket, but it was picked for a reason.

2. Check in/Twitter positions and intended daily targets regularly.

3. Carry a decent first aid kit and know how to use it.

4. Be extra careful to avoid exposure/sunstroke and make sure you have water and emergency food.

5. Make sure you know how to use a map and compass.

In reality, if you are doing it west to east in June, you'll probably end up realising that there's often a fat chance of actually doing the C2C 'alone'! Though I was grateful for that a couple of years ago when it became impossible for me to continue as I came down Kidsty Pike with a poison leg, and some passing walkers offered me a lift to the train station so I could get home.

Still, there is nothing to beat the joy of sitting down to relax and suddenly realising you are genuinely alone in the beauty of the English countryside.

Enjoy it, and reassure your pals that you are one of many making the journey alone.

#61386 - 13/05/11 09:50 PM Re: walking alone [Re: Cotty]
Cotty Offline

forget to say- a lone female.

#61387 - 13/05/11 10:06 PM Re: walking alone [Re: Cotty]
Cotty Offline

Thanks Hackpacker, check to all of those, but will have to leave my trendy black tops at home!
Few people appreciate that I want to go alone- for the reason you said.I'm really looking forward to it- though it would be good if the rain would stop about now.
I'm doing it in 14 days so should be fairly leisurely- last long distance was penine way 25 years ago so I'm not as fit as I was.One reason for walking alone- no-one to have to keep up with.
These blogs reassure me.
ta

#61388 - 13/05/11 10:15 PM Re: walking alone [Re: Cotty]
hammy Offline

i also tried it on my own (male) no chance i met people all along the way you will enjoy it tell your family to relax

#61389 - 13/05/11 11:43 PM Re: walking alone [Re: hammy]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I came across a couple of lone females during my recent crossing. We males tend to look out for lone females (not literally) I mean in a protective way. We admire their enthusiasm and obvious love of walking to do so, and why the hell not.
Don't worry you will be fine and not alone for much of it.
Dave.

#61390 - 14/05/11 01:45 AM Re: walking alone [Re: Slogger]
MarkF Offline

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
While I am not female, I do most of my multi day walks solo for the ability to choose the pace I walk, where I stop and how I organise my day. I agree with Hackpacker's advice - the only thing I would add is to walk to your abilities and how you feel on the day and do not take unnecessary risks.

I have met quite a few women walking solo on the C2C, GR5 and many other routes. The general comment they make is that they do not feel in any danger - that is for towns and cities.

I didn't realise it was possible to get sunstroke in the UK grin

#61392 - 14/05/11 05:46 AM Re: walking alone [Re: MarkF]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
You should not be a lone female for too long on the walk! There may well be others like you that you will meet and walk a little way with. A significant number of lone walkers complete the crossing and a fair proportion are female. If you take the sensible precautions mentioned earlier you should experience no problems. Go ahead and enjoy the experience!

#61393 - 14/05/11 08:28 PM Re: walking alone [Re: slowcoach]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Judging by the passing masses today it would be extremely difficult to be alone for long!

#61394 - 15/05/11 12:30 AM Re: walking alone [Re: slowcoach]
DOUGALSMUM Offline

Loc: u.k
Was thinking about doing the c2c again next year and after reading this post think I might also do it alone, last time I did it in a group which was a bit of a 'route march', much more enjoyable to go at your own pace : )

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917