The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35984 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#61571 - 25/05/11 11:08 AM C2C 5 Day Trip Attempt
Alan F Offline

Loc: Reading
Having been inspired by Slogger and others last year,I'm just finalising preparations for a 5 day attempt on the Coast to Coast starting next Thursday 2nd June. Advance rail fares all booked at a bargain Euston-Carlisle-St Bees 21,and Scarboro'-York-Kings Cross 21.Having been considering schedules and distances,being a mere mortal needing 7 hours sleep a night,I'll use a day zero and start Thursday afternoon, and aim to complete by Tuesday lunchtime,7th June.This should break down to a schedule of:
Day 0 St.Bees-upper Ennerdale/Honister 25 miles
Day 1 Honister-Shap 37 miles
Day 2 Shap-Keld 33 miles
Day 3 Keld-Danby Wiske 35 miles
Day 4 Danby Wiske-Lion Inn or upper Glaisdale 38 miles
Day 5 Lion Inn/Glaisdale 24 miles.
This should allow food reprovisioning stops in Cleator,Rosthwaite,Patterdale,Shap,Kirkby Stephen,Reeth and Richmond (both open Sundays),and Grosmont,plus a couple of pub stops.Just refining my kit down a to a minimum,so just Karrimor 30 litre Hotrock rucksack,Jack Wolfskin Gossamer bivvy tent,Microlite sleeping bag,cut down Karrimat,Water bottle,Compass,2 Footprint maps,Spork,Bowl,Can Opener,Soap,Razor,Bog paper,Toothbrush/paste,Plasters,Vaseline for toes,Mobile,Spare inner socks,shorts,and spare thermal top.I usually carry a bag of muesli and milk powder,which does for breakfast and emergency food supply.I've rejected the old adage of drilling holes in my toothbrush handle!
If anyone else is out over these days,please stop for a chat.If normal Pennine weather,I'll be in yellow cag,black running trousers and white hat,or if warm,then grey T-shirt and black shorts.Currently having a problem getting long distance comfort in new Asics Goretex trail shoes,after my NorthFace Hedgehogs self-destructed last year,after a mere 700miles, so I might end up switching to my Asics road shoes,and use freezer bags inside if wet.
Couple of Q's if anyone can help:
1.Is there any shop in Danby Wiske or Ingleby Cross (apart from A19 services)?
2.Does reopened pub in Danby Wiske do food evenings daily,and any camping available nearby?
3.Is there a cafe/shop at Green Bank/Carlton Bank that is open daily?
Thanks in advance
Alan F

#61573 - 25/05/11 01:34 PM Re: C2C 5 Day Trip Attempt [Re: Alan F]
flatlands Offline

Originally Posted By: Alan F

Couple of Q's if anyone can help:
1.Is there any shop in Danby Wiske or Ingleby Cross (apart from A19 services)?
2.Does reopened pub in Danby Wiske do food evenings daily,and any camping available nearby?
3.Is there a cafe/shop at Green Bank/Carlton Bank that is open daily?
Thanks in advance
Alan F
Hi Alan, if I can be of some help.
1. No shop either in Danby Wiske nor Ingleby Cross. So, the A19 service station is your only option. But there is a shop in nearby Swainby, about 1.5 miles east of Ingleby Cross.

2. The White Swan, Danby Wiske does camping and the only one in the area, but there is Layland's farm 6 miles before Danby Wiske and Lovesome Hill 2 miles west of Danby Wiske. Foodwise, at the Danby Wiske. When I was there last year, you could order a take-away meal from nearby Northallerton, who would deliver it for a small delivery fee. The pizza was very nice.

3. The cafe is called Lord Stone's at Carlton Bank and there shut now around 5pm. He used to open until late, but due to some trouble in the past, that was stopped.

#61574 - 25/05/11 01:44 PM Re: C2C 5 Day Trip Attempt [Re: flatlands]
flatlands Offline

Just a update regards to food at the White Swan, I hear there do a week-end menu. Best to email them to check or phone. You may be in luck there.

#61575 - 25/05/11 01:54 PM Re: C2C 5 Day Trip Attempt [Re: flatlands]
flatlands Offline

Sorry, that is 2.25 miles to Swainby via the A172 and not 1.5 miles.

#61576 - 25/05/11 02:55 PM Re: C2C 5 Day Trip Attempt [Re: Alan F]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Hi Alan, seems I started something with this 5 day lark! If this weather keeps up, you'll not be needing the plastic bags lol.
I've dropped plans for a Day0 start myself for this year's attempt and am currently (still...) working on a different route and 4 day schedule. On my E-W endeavours so far I've covered the NYM 4 times now... can I face that bloomin' ironstone track bed yet again lol
Sounds like you intend some running - how about taking some small ankle gaiters to keep any bits of blister-forming stuff out?
Good luck - please let us know how you get on
cheers
lwm

#61581 - 25/05/11 05:12 PM Re: C2C 5 Day Trip Attempt [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Hi Alan,
All the best for your attempt. Any chance of following your progress via Twitter?
Dave.

#61596 - 25/05/11 11:15 PM Re: C2C 5 Day Trip Attempt [Re: Slogger]
Alan F Offline

Thanks each for your invaluable information.Danby Wiske for the night looks favourite.
I was working on being on the move for about 72 hours total, so I'll probably jog some of the flat and downhill,just to reduce the length of the days, as it's a few extra miles per day than I've done before.
I don't use Twitter unfortunately,so I may only be able to report back afterwards.Just hope it's a dry,cool week!

#61599 - 25/05/11 11:27 PM Re: C2C 5 Day Trip Attempt [Re: Alan F]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Hi Alan.
I will be relaxing on my 12 day attempt,starting on the 5th.
You will be long gone, but at those speeds,my infra red goggles will still be able to pick up your trail.
Good Luck.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#61619 - 26/05/11 04:16 PM Re: C2C 5 Day Trip Attempt [Re: Alan F]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: Alan F
Thanks each for your invaluable information.Danby Wiske for the night looks favourite.
I was working on being on the move for about 72 hours total, so I'll probably jog some of the flat and downhill,just to reduce the length of the days, as it's a few extra miles per day than I've done before.

Alan,
On my recent crossing the breakdown was:-
Total time 107 hrs.
Walking time 61 hrs @ 3mph approx.
Food breaks etc 10 hrs.
Overnight camp and pub 36 hrs.

Of course for me, taking it further, would be get through, with less non walking time, which with longer days would be a possibility. However that would be attempting something other than a 5 day challenge.
Dave.

#61827 - 09/06/11 05:40 PM Re: C2C 5 Day Trip Attempt [Re: Slogger]
Alan F Offline

A few notes and bits of useful information after finishing on Tuesday afternoon.Despite two hot days on Thursday and Friday and misty/wet Saturday evening/Sunday morning,I considered myself to have been very lucky with a good weather window,after the rain across the Pennines in the last three weeks.Had got my pack weight down to 5.5kg with emergency food,but before water.
Thurs 2nd June Dry,warm,sunny afternoon
St Bees-1 mile before Seatoller 26.5 miles.
St Bees 13.30,Ennerdale Br 17.35,Black Sail 20.50,before Seatoller 22.20.Came up by train from Euston in the morning,had the condemned man's last meal in Weatherspoons,Carlisle and started early afternoon.I was debating camping at the foot of Loft Beck, but decided to put a few more miles in before darkness.At the top I was blessed with a brilliant sunset view at 21.30,highlighting the Red Pike/High Stile and Buttermere, and giving a fine orange glow over the Scottish Southern Uplands and Solway Firth.Camped by side of path a mile before Seatoller.
Fri 3rd June Dry.Hot 100% Sun all day
Seatoller-Shap 34.5 miles
Before Seatoller 06.45,Grasmere 10.45,Patterdale 14.20/15.10,Kidsty Pike 17.30,Shap 21.15.
Hot sun on the tent at 06.00 did'nt bode well,but the climb to Greenup Edge was in shade.Some very boggy stuff over the pass here.Interesting use of local Lakeland language here;a linear collection of assorted boulders,joined up by bits of bog,is termed a "Path".It stayed Scorchio all day,and I went through six litres of fluid before nightfall.Kidsty Pike,being the hardest climb was tough in the heat,and on the descent,I broke into a real hot sweat,and had to ease up,and cool down once I got down to the streams. Camped at New Ing Lodge,Shap 5/night.
Sat 4th June Dry Cool Windy,low cloud,drizzle later afternoon.
Shap - Keld 32.5 miles
Shap 07.20,Orton Scarside Farm 10.15/10.30,Smardale 13.05,Kirkby Stephen 15.05,Nine Standards 16.55,Keld 19.10.
The Co-op in Shap is'nt open until 08.00,but the general village shop opens 07.00.Pleasant morning walk over the limestone moors on nice flat turf,and coffee stop at Scarside.Nine Standards was drizzle and thick mist deteriorating,with some really glutinous bogs after recent rain on the May-July path off the summit.At the point it turned back towards Whitsundale,I headed down a gravel track to the B road for the last stretch into Keld,as visibility then down to 100metres.Camped at Park Bridge for 5,where they also do hot evening meals 18.00-19.30,the Beef Stew and Baguette for a fiver is highly recommended.
Sun 5th June Wet till noon,then Dry,Cool
Keld - Danby Wiske 36 miles
Keld 07.00,Reeth 10.55/11.35,Richmond 15.15/16.10,Brompton 18.00,Danby Wiske 20.50.
Wet this morning until Reeth,so once over the interesting lead mine workings,I jogged down to Reeth,meeting virtually no-one,then into a cafe in Reeth,which justified a longer stop. All the pretend outdoor types were there,strolling between 4x4's and teashops in their spotless NorthFace gear!A pleasant stroll down to Richmond for fish&chips (open Sundays)and shops,before the long slog down boring fields and tarmac to Danby Wiske.There is a profusion of yellow dotted paths before Colburn, and I ended up in Hipswell in error,adding best part of a mile,as I resumed path by compass bearing direct across fields.Camped at Swan Inn,Danby Wiske 5. This pub is superb now,excellent choice of beers and highly recommended. Food is on daily 18.00-20.00.
Mon 6th June. Dry Cool,some Sun.
Danby Wiske - 1 mile before Glaisdale 39.5 miles
Danby 07.05,A19 services 09.55/10.25,Carlton Bank cafe 13.50/14.15,Clay Bank Top 15.55/16.10,Bloworth 17.10,Lion Inn 18.30/19.35,1m before Glaisdale 22.10.
This was going to be the longest day walk I have done, so broke it down into three sections.The transport cafe on the A19 is now Lynnes Pantry,and does superb breakfast fryups plus free drink refills.Open Mon-Thurs 06.00-19.30,Fri 06.00-14.00,Sat 08.00-14.00.After Ingleby Cross,could'nt see point of doing the long zigzag,so turned left after Arncliffe Hall,down gravel forest track for 1 mile?. Turned right as main track exits trees downhill,then left after 100 metres. Footpath then forks right after another 100 metres,to go straight up hillside,then contour across to meet main path.The Lord Stones Cafe at Carlton Bank was open,so stopped for pot of tea.Carlton Bank to Clay Bank is real slow going, a real switchback, so made up time by running most of the dead boring railway track to Lion Inn for food.Coming off Glaisdale Rigg as light was failing,had to go all way to the first farm fences to find any flat grass to camp on. Just got in bed,when I hear a tractor.Of all the fields in the area,it has to crop spray at night on the field next to my tent!
Tues 7th June.Dry Cool.Some Sun Windy
Before Glaisdale-Robon Hoods Bay 20.5 miles
Glaisdale 06.15,Grosmont 07.45/07.55,Littlewick 09.20,RHB 13.04.
Luckily the Grosmont shop opens at 07.30,so flapjack there to get me to the finish.The hill out of Grosmont is a final killer,but start time was right as roll into RHB at 13.04,giving me just within target, 4 days 23hours,34 minutes.
Traditional fish& chips and beer was consumed at finish.I saw in the compleaters books,an RW had also done a 5 day trip a few days earlier.Late afternoon bus to Scarboro',then train home in the evening.
I did wear my Asics road shoes all the way,with poly bags inside on the wet morning.Vaseline'd toes each morning.Very comfortable all the way, no blisters at all,but just sore feet due to continual pounding they got,but fine by end of the next day.Only bog section problems I had were Greenup Edge and Nine Standards Rig, where I did get pretty wet feet,despite all my long jump attempts.Wore Karrimor DryFit inner socks, which were superb, stopped my feet sweating,and helped keep no blisters.
There were many groups out walking the route,but mainly all doing B&B/hotels on 12-15 day plans, and all in the 50+ age groups. Very few youngsters seen at all,despite being latter part of school hols.
Total walking time 64 hours 40minutes, average speed 2.93 mph.Most days around 3.0 mph,apart from Seatoller-Shap which was 2.59mph,and was certainly the most gruelling day.
Having now done this, I think my next trip will be a very leisurely one, with more pubs than miles!
Hope this is of interest
Alan F

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917