Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2631
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1462
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8252 Members
17 Forums
3340 Topics
34937 Posts

Max Online: 234 @ 03/05/12 11:34 AM
Page 24 of 55 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 54 55 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60867 - 19/04/11 07:25 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: Reluctanttrucker
GOOD LUCK DAVE.
Hope the seven seas joint care isn't required,and the compeed stays locked away in the first aid bag.

I won't mention the "W" word. Just in case it turns.

Good one, I take daily Glucosomine, Omega Fish Oil, 50+ Multi Vits and Cod Liver Oil, if nothing else they keep you regular.
Oh, that's something I forgot, a small pack of Tissues - more weight!
Cheers.
Dave.

#60907 - 20/04/11 07:33 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Last post before the 'off'. Going slighter lighter now due to the good weather forecast, except it looks like i might have to put some Sun cream in the sac.
Must admit to being unusually a little nervous this time, which is not like me, but after my 'Feet' problems last time, I feel slightly cautious.
The end of the first day will tell the tale and then I will know what I'm in for.
Twitter @ dav657
Dave.

#60908 - 20/04/11 08:45 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Slogger]
walkanddrink Offline

Loc: Blackpool
Dave
all the best, fair wind and good weather
Mick

#60909 - 20/04/11 08:48 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: walkanddrink]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
The weather in the lakes both today and Yesterday has been exceptionally uncomfortable for walking, especially just below the tops. To say the very least it has been oppressively hot and the lack of shade has made progress quite a chore! Hope it cools off for you.

#60914 - 20/04/11 11:48 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
all the best Dave - looking fwd to your tweets on progress

#61578 - 25/05/11 03:43 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

I don't think the calendar would be complete without a C2C crack now... so, da dah: this year's schedule... after much head scratching and soul searching... is looking like:

(Following Dave's early start eg. ie. - drop Day0 and save 8hrs min.):
RHB - Lovesome Hill
LH - Keld (Pk Hse)
Keld - Kentmere (dependent on CROW access in two places)
Kentmere - St Bees

Day1 - Intending on heading south out of RHB this time, but try as I may I cannot avoid part of the ironstone track bed... using the LWW I'll meet up with Dave's route but turn off left at Round Hill for Seave Green. This considerably shortens the 1st day and involves less climb (980m at last count) - not sure how the ROWs will turn out yet from Seave Green on to rejoining the main route before Scarth Nick and InglebyX. I've checked all the options and it's no quicker to LHill by any other route than the established one.
Day2 - mostly established route with just a few minor alterations. With Dave and Brian taking the lower Swale route I've had another look at this and decided to go with this on this occasion as I know exactly how it's going to feel climbing out of Gunnerside Gill!
Day3 - a very different day heading more directly west over Birkdale Common missing Nine Satndards but taking in higher ground with Gregory Chapel and High Seat. Skirting the Howgills then on to Tebay, Bretherdale and High House Fell - again a significanly shorter (though no less testing) day.
Day4 - After honey-pot Ambleside most of the climb comes all at once up Rosset Gill and Aaron Slack, then it'll be a matter of just hanging on to take in Grike and Flat Fell (Cleator Moor chippy) If feet really bad the option will be to turn right at Stanley...

If I can manage to book all the bunkhouses I'll just take a silk liner and an AMK emergency bivvy instead of a sleeping bag leaving more room in the sac for food with a total weight of around 8 lbs... though I just might be tempted to add those sandals again to give the feet a breather lol
Unfortunately, I'm nursing a bad back at the moment and have had to lay off the build up... otherwise got round a recent 53 miler without any major problems other than my little toe nail has gone black and can't decide whether to pull it out or not... decisions decisions...

#61582 - 25/05/11 05:20 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

Hi Mick,
What is your intended line from Ambleside to Windy Gap and onwards to Grike.
Are you dropping down into Ennerdale and then ascending somewhere or trying to keep to higher ground?
Dave.

#61585 - 25/05/11 07:22 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Dropping down was the plan Dave and turning off along the water, however I'll have another look at the alternatives... going boss-eyed though now mate with all the plotting and Googling!

#61587 - 25/05/11 07:34 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

The only way up from along the water is via Red Beck.
It is a horrible little quite steep, overgrown path following the beck and wall, although Ive only done it in descent.
I won't be using it again. I think you would be quicker following the water to its end.
Dave.

#61588 - 25/05/11 07:50 PM Re: That 5 Day attempt... [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

How long you reckon an ascent would take Dave? Wet bracken could be a decider... there's about half as much climb involved going round (but there's the obligatory stop in Ennerdale Bridge to consider - I can't walk past a pub - read 'hobble')
(Steel Fell took 40 minutes on the recce, though I think that included some of the top as well, I haven't had chance yet to try the Wythburn alt. for comparison - I mention this because if it were like Steel Fell with shoulder-high bracken...)

Page 24 of 55 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 54 55 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

Copyright The Sherpa Van Project, 29 The Green, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4RG. Tel 0871 5200124 Fax (44) 01748 825561