The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2884
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1682
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35948 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63402 - 08/11/11 09:39 PM Re: Recent Dales Way Non Stopper. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
"Personally I always follow the main route". I meant to say when going the normal way - Ilkley - Bowness.
Only gone the other way twice and one of them was a failure just after Kettlewell, after getting bored with the whole thing during continous heavy rain from starting in Bowness.
Dave.

#63526 - 02/12/11 12:47 PM Re: Recent Dales Way Non Stopper. [Re: Slogger]
mickey Offline

Second time unlucky!

Well my second bash didn't go too well. We had a slightly later start at 7:30am this time. We made pretty good time to start with stopping for a quick cuppa in Burnsall. At this point it started raining quite heavily so on went the waterproofs.

We pushed on Grassington arriving about 12:15 and had a bag of chips on the way through. We reached Kettlewell about 4:00pm and spent a while chatting with people in the shop. From Kettlewell to Hubberholm the path really deteriorated into a bog but we reached Hubberholme about 6:15pm. We were sat outside the pub having a cuppa from the flask when we saw movement inside and the pub opened. We decided to eat here to set us up for the evening.

By this time the rain was really coming down and the wind had picked up but we made it across from Oughtershaw and up the road to the Sportsman's by about 12:15am. The pub was shut so we got out of the weather in the outside loos. After half an hour we carried onto to Dent and into the bus shelter about 3:00am.

Unfortunately my companion had not been taking care of his feet. Hed mentioned hotspots all the way back in Burnsall but had not done anything about them until Kettlewell and since then his blisters had got a lot worse. He decided that he didnt want to go on, I thought about pushing on on my own but the wind and rain was pretty horrendous and a day and night in Ambleside on my own didnt appeal so we got our heads down as best we could and got a taxi back to Dent station the next morning.

I was a bit annoyed as wed been making pretty good time while walking in the face of pretty horrible weather, the wind and driving rain had been right in our faces all the way since Kettlewell but physically I felt fine. Id changed tactics slightly by upping my pack to a 35l one to accommodate a down jacket and huge 1.8l flask. On the last trip Id really not enjoyed the last parts of the walk as Id run out of coffee. I found the psychological benefit of knowing that I had a hot brew in the pack outweighed the physical disadvantages of carrying it.

I think Ill wait for spring to have another bash unless we get a really frost, dry clear weekend over the winter. Id love to do the night section of the walk with a full moon as I think it would be amazing, as it was this time we had a bout 10m visibility for most of the night section.

#63537 - 03/12/11 06:04 PM Re: Recent Dales Way Non Stopper. [Re: mickey]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Never mind Mickey, you can't win them all. Personaly doing these non stoppers my own success rate was 2 in 3 attempts. Failing the others for various reasons including wet windy conditions, underlying viruses and sore feet.
You have the bug now so there's nothing you can do but carry on.
Dave.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917