The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2883
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1676
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35933 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#61949 - 20/06/11 01:04 PM WHW - just completed - reflections
Desmond Offline

Greetings folks
My wife and I finished the WHW over seven days on 14th June. We stayed an extra day in Fort William and climbed Ben Nevis in perfect weather conditions!

We were quite lucky with the weather, two days of light showers and sunshine and one morning of drizzle, the rest of the time the sun was out - even managed to get across Rannock Moor in the dry, well almost!

Overall we enjoyed the walk but didn't seem to get the same 'buzz' you get from walking the C2C. We are not sure why this was. It might be that some parts of the WHW are fairly tedious, or it might be the nature of the trail which is mainly on old tracks or forest paths. It just didn't feel as meaningful as the C2C did. I don't think I ever looked at my map for directions just followed the waymarks. The first time we completed the C2C changed me as a person the WHW didn't.

We booked baggage transfer and B & B's through AMS who were great - no problems at all.

We really did enjoy the walk, but would we do it again - no. Would we do the C2C for a fourth time, definately - tomorrow.
Having said all that I wish we were back there now rather than sat behind this desk - wouldn't even mind the loch lomond section again!

#61964 - 21/06/11 01:23 PM Re: WHW - just completed - reflections [Re: Desmond]
jaytee Offline

having never done a LD walk before i found this an ideal starting point, you have to remember it is a drovers trail and the most popular walk in the UK., so it will be a well beaten path.
The next time pick the worst weather you can , which mite make it more of a challenge for you, January is a good month for it

#61966 - 21/06/11 02:42 PM Re: WHW - just completed - reflections [Re: jaytee]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
I agree parts of the route are a bit tedious, but for me the Loch Lomond shoreside path was one of its highlights. I hope you didn't take the boring forest road instead.
Finishing off the last day from Kinlochleven to Fort William by including Ben Nevis in perfect weather, with massive cornices overhanging the North Face, was the best day of all.
The general spirit and camaraderie was good, but I think that on the C2C would take some beating.

#406093 - 04/11/13 02:03 PM Re: WHW - just completed - reflections [Re: Desmond]
Old Bill Offline

Loc: London
Yep got to agree. But tedium in such a lovely part of the world is a good sort of tedium I think!!

After 18 long months of trying to get round to it, I've finally put finger to keyboard to write up my walk from May of last year.

If anyone's thinking of doing it it maybe of some use or just an appetite whetter!

Now it's got me in the mood to get back to Highlands again! Knoydart is calling...

#406211 - 18/01/14 10:19 AM Re: WHW - just completed - reflections [Re: Desmond]
Redlesweb Offline

Loc: London & Glasgow
I think the WHW is an excellent introduction to long distance walking and also excellent if you only have a week off work. I first waked the WHW when I was 24 having hardly walked more than a couple of miles in my life. It was the best introduction to walking I could have asked for and I've been hooked ever since. Having walked the WHW twice more since I'm happy to not do it again, or at least for another few years. I've competed other LDPs since and spend a number of holidays in the Torridon mountains. This year I will finally walk the C2C and can't wait. Come rain or shine, it's been a long time coming.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917