The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62053 - 27/06/11 09:32 AM Hackpackers (Brian) Progress.
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Brian set off at midnight and had reached the summit of Dent by 0426. Reported perfect weather (via Twitter) but having Midge problems.
Dave.

#62056 - 27/06/11 03:20 PM Re: Hackpackers (Brian) Progress. [Re: Slogger]
Memphian Offline

Loc: Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Sorry to report that he made the top of Loft Beck at 11:20, but his achilles went out and he had to give it up at Honnister.

#62059 - 27/06/11 05:06 PM Re: Hackpackers (Brian) Progress. [Re: Memphian]
Slogger Offline

Yeah, hardest of luck, but all credit to him for giving it a go.
2 Tweets received today.
1. Top of Loft beck by 1120 but Achilles has given out going across fell so had to hobble off the mountains at Honister and get a lift.
2. Months of planning down the pan! Grrr

Dave.

#62063 - 27/06/11 06:22 PM Re: Hackpackers (Brian) Progress. [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Bad luck ... as you say, after all that planning

#62068 - 27/06/11 06:56 PM Re: Hackpackers (Brian) Progress. [Re: slowcoach]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
That's a great shame indeed.

It does put this 5 day thing into perspective though (if anyone needs a reminder how hard a challenge it is and how crazy/dedicated/fit you have to be to even consider it !!!!).

#62069 - 27/06/11 07:18 PM Re: Hackpackers (Brian) Progress. [Re: Les + Heidi]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Achilles tendon pain is truely awful and he did the right thing in retiring.

#62070 - 27/06/11 08:21 PM Re: Hackpackers (Brian) Progress. [Re: tonyk]
Slogger Offline

Originally Posted By: tonyk

Too true Tony. I had a full year out during my running/racing days when I badly strained my right Achilles where it joins the Calf muscle halfway down.
After that I had just got something like going again when I did the same to my left one, another full year out, and troubled me for years after.
Even now around 15 years on, my left one still gives me grief when I overdue things.
As you say Brian did the right thing, it would only have got worse and been further damaged.
Dave.

#62079 - 28/06/11 11:15 AM Re: Hackpackers (Brian) Progress. [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Slogger
Originally Posted By: tonyk

Too true Tony. I had a full year out during my running/racing days when I badly strained my right Achilles where it joins the Calf muscle halfway down.
After that I had just got something like going again when I did the same to my left one, another full year out, and troubled me for years after.
Even now around 15 years on, my left one still gives me grief when I overdue things.
As you say Brian did the right thing, it would only have got worse and been further damaged.
Dave.

That is exactly waht happened to me.Like an idiot I tried running through the problem and even had three cortisone injections in the tendon sheath.Certainly helped in the short-term but I paid the price later.In the end I had to have an operation to repair the daamage and it took around two years before I could run again.My advice to anyone is to stop the minute you get achilles tendon pain and investigate the cause.One of the main culprits are shoes that have high heel tabs.

#62080 - 28/06/11 12:09 PM Re: Hackpackers (Brian) Progress. [Re: tonyk]
HackPacker Offline

Hi guys. Back home and rather deflated. I have to say that although I was on schedule when my right Achilles went, my respect for those of you who have completed in five days has only enhanced because even though I'd only managed half a day when things went wrong, it brought home just how punishing the scehdule has to be for that sort of timeframe.

I'm relieved that it happened at Honnister, where I could get a lift from a kindly fellow walker to Keswick, and not at the top of Kidsty Pike or somewhere. Going on would have been futile. I'm also grafetul that it went on Day 1 and not on Day 4! Gutted that so much planning has gone to waste, but at the end of the day it's important to get things in perspective, and it's just one of those things.

My kids (8 & 7) have now expressed an interest in doing the C2C, so my next crossing might be a nice gentle one with them - maybe 15 or 16 days. I must admit, it would be great to slow down a bit again and enjoy the long mountain-top lunches and leisurely stops at pubs etc that accompany a less punishing schedule. I'm taking my daughter up to the Lakes for a few days next month to see whether she enjoys walking in reality or whether she decides she's had enough after a few hundred yards!

Anyway, good luck to those of you still looking forward to a 2011 C2C and thanks again for all your support and advice.

#62081 - 28/06/11 12:23 PM Re: Hackpackers (Brian) Progress. [Re: HackPacker]
walkanddrink Offline

Loc: Blackpool
Brian, sorry to hear you had to stop, but glad you recognised the fact and stopped as soon as possible, so not increasing the damage/injury. I know how you feel, I had to stop the PW in 09 after the first day and half cos of a shoulder injury. My only advice is to continue to enjoy the rest of the walks you do and use the plans you have on a later date
Mick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917