The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62160 - 04/07/11 08:03 AM Huts on the Pennine Way - Has anyone visited them?
Zara Offline

Hello there
I am writing my RIBA part II architecture dissertation on 'Mountain Huts of the UK' (working title!) and I am trying to uncover as much as I can about huts and bothies all over the UK.

So I was wondering if anyone has been into the Huts on the Pennine Way?
Do you know the story of Gwen's Hut? The shepherdess?
Have you any photos or memories of staying in the huts/ or resting in the huts to make a cup of tea or nibble a sandwich?
I am interested in the history of the huts as well as your personal experiences..

Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated =)

Best wishes

Zara

#62179 - 04/07/11 11:27 AM Re: Huts on the Pennine Way - Has anyone visited them? [Re: Zara]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Gwen's Hut? I can't say I have heard of that one.I have stayed in Greg's Hut which is on Cross Fell's northern flank.Memories?Arrived there in torrential rain and couldn't keep a limb still due to hypothermia.I spent the night shivering and had mice for company.

#62189 - 04/07/11 07:26 PM Re: Huts on the Pennine Way - Has anyone visited them? [Re: tonyk]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Zara,
By far the best place to get the info you require is from the Mountain Bothies Association. Check out their website.
http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/
Dave.

#62216 - 06/07/11 09:06 PM Re: Huts on the Pennine Way - Has anyone visited them? [Re: Zara]
Howie Offline

Loc: Cumbria
In 2007 I did a walk from Kirk Yetholm over The Schill to the Cheviot passing the last Refuge hut on the Pennine Way on the way, on entering the hut I found a roadworks sign with a note attached to it. It apparently had been left there by some Pennine wayers, the note said they had picked the sign up near Crowden and they had carried it all the way along the Pennine Way with them and deposited it in the hut just before they finished the walk in Kirk Yetholm.

#62229 - 08/07/11 12:40 AM Re: Huts on the Pennine Way - Has anyone visited them? [Re: Howie]
Zara Offline

Hello there

Thank you for all your comments and stories! I will indeed check out the MBA.. but in the mean time please don't be shy with your anecdotes =)

Best wishes

Zara =)

#62230 - 08/07/11 12:40 AM Re: Huts on the Pennine Way - Has anyone visited them? [Re: Zara]
Zara Offline

Hello there

Thank you for all your comments and stories! I will indeed check out the MBA.. but in the mean time please don't be shy with your anecdotes =)

Best wishes

Zara =)

#62231 - 08/07/11 12:41 AM Re: Huts on the Pennine Way - Has anyone visited them? [Re: Zara]
Zara Offline

oops! didn't mean to post twice and now i can't seem to delete it!

#62276 - 13/07/11 11:43 AM Re: Huts on the Pennine Way - Has anyone visited them? [Re: Zara]
tomread Offline

Hi Zara,

You will see pictures and read about our encounters with the huts - Greg's Hut and the two in the Cheviots - at my website: http://tomread.co.uk

Regards,

Tom

#62682 - 01/09/11 04:11 PM Re: Huts on the Pennine Way - Has anyone visited them? [Re: tomread]
chapel tom Offline

I've slept in one!

On my Pennine Way attempt in 2010, me and Dad walked from Bellingham to the first Mountain Bothy Hut and after 24 miles walking we couldn't be bothered to stick the tent up, so inflated our sleeping mats, got our sleeping bags out and slept on the benches! It was quite cool but no worse than an ordinary night in a tent.

#62683 - 01/09/11 04:13 PM Re: Huts on the Pennine Way - Has anyone visited them? [Re: chapel tom]
chapel tom Offline

Also had my tea in it, which was a tin of soup and some breadcakes picked up in Bellingham, absolute luxury after 13 hours walking. It was really quite an experience and the view the next morning was spectacular.

#62698 - 02/09/11 04:43 PM Re: Huts on the Pennine Way - Has anyone visited them? [Re: chapel tom]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Yeah, all Bothies have that damp cold feel to them until (in the larger ones) you get a roaring fire going.
Don't know how you must have managed on those narrow fixed benches.
Dave.

#62704 - 03/09/11 11:22 AM Re: Huts on the Pennine Way - Has anyone visited them? [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
12 months ago yesterday I stopped for a lunch break on the way to KY. Brings back some nice memories,it was a stunning day. Wll be back there next June with Heidi when we're going to do the PW again.
Les

#62708 - 03/09/11 05:53 PM Re: Huts on the Pennine Way - Has anyone visited them? [Re: Les + Heidi]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Very unfortunately a tiny minority of people treat these hits with contempt. As I passed Gregg's Hut a couple of years vago someone had been using it as a toilet leaving the whole place smelling abominably.

#62710 - 04/09/11 09:00 AM Re: Huts on the Pennine Way - Has anyone visited them? [Re: chapel tom]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
People leave messages to other walkers that they have got to know on the trail if one group is slightly faster and get a day ahead they leave greetings in the huts for people following.They might also leave advise about loose flags,missing duckboards etc. for people going in the other direction.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917