The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35984 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62255 - 12/07/11 01:24 PM Offas Dyke Pt.1
Calluna Offline

Loc: Wirral
Have decided to break down the path into 3 walking sections - due to annual leave constraints at work (boooo) and not wanting to be away from Hubby for more than a week now. So doing part 1 in September.
After having a couple of nights with Tom in Tintern, will get dropped off at Sedbury Cliffs on the Monday morning, Tom will then drive home. Schedule is:

Monday 12th - walk to St.Briavels (10 miles), staying at Youth Hostel that used to be Norman Castle - hope I'm not sleeping in the dungeon!

Tuesday 13th - walk to Wonastow, about 3 miles past Monmouth (13 miles). Staying at Old Hendre Farm B&B

Wednesday 14th - walk to Pandy (12 miles), staying at Lancaster Arms a former pub. They still have the bar as it was and serve drinks to residents only - that will do me smile

Thursday 15th - walk to Hay on Wye (18 miles), staying at St. Mary's B&B. Didn't fancy having to come down off the tops and have to go back up again to break this day up.

Friday 16th - Bus and train home. Got train ticket; Hereford to Liverpool Lime St. for 13.00 smile

I was originally going to backpack this, but wimped out being as I will be on my own (female) and in unfamiliar territory. I may have been brave if it was the Lakes. Gone for a nice easy pace for most of the walk and really looking forward to it.

#62261 - 12/07/11 05:48 PM Re: Offas Dyke Pt.1 [Re: Calluna]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Looks good - hope you enjoy. I stayed at Lancaster Arms Hotel - it was good although perhaps a little quiet - and whilst they have a bar - no draft beer!!! If you have the lovely sunshine I had when walking over from Pandy to Hay - you won't have any problems with the distance - it was gorgeous. I imagine it could be a little more challenging if the weather ain't so good!

#62270 - 13/07/11 08:43 AM Re: Offas Dyke Pt.1 [Re: Bliss 60]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Have a great time Calluna, you deserve it. It is a route to be savored for its views of patchwork fields from lofty positions. I agree with Bliss, we also stayed at Lancaster arms and it was quiet. The ridge walk that follows is well worn, so you cant go wrong, and if you are lucky the ice cream van should be there below Hay Bluff.
Dave.

#62271 - 13/07/11 09:35 AM Re: Offas Dyke Pt.1 [Re: Slogger]
Calluna Offline

Hi Bliss and Slogger

The Lancaster Arms being quite.....not when I get there grin Actually, that doesn't bother me - at least I will be able to get to sleep easily. No cask ales bothers me more! I do hope they have some nice bottled beer then.

The weather gods are usually kind to me, so hoping they continue to do so so I can enjoy the ridge walk on the last day. Just had the last week of June in Keswick with Tom on our annual hols (he can get dialysis nearby), the weather was lovely - and I finally got to walk up Grizedale Pike. You can see this from the campsite and it has been teasing me for the last 2 years!

#62749 - 07/09/11 03:27 PM Re: Offas Dyke Pt.1 [Re: Calluna]
Calluna Offline

Done my packing this morning - was hoping to fit everything into my Osprey Talon 22, but it was just a bit too much so using the Kestrel 38L which leaves quite a bit of room for packed lunches grin

Really looking forward to it now - just hope the wind and rain subside a bit from Monday next week, especially for the day on Hay Bluff eek

Hubby is also really looking forward to a couple of nights away with me and dog in Tintern, and is much happier I am staying in B&B's and not camping on my own.

#62751 - 07/09/11 08:13 PM Re: Offas Dyke Pt.1 [Re: Calluna]
scaredovheights Offline

Good luck Calluna, looking forward to hearing how it goes as this is on my radar to try.

#62753 - 08/09/11 01:56 PM Re: Offas Dyke Pt.1 [Re: scaredovheights]
Calluna Offline

Originally Posted By: scaredovheights
Good luck Calluna, looking forward to hearing how it goes as this is on my radar to try.

Thanks - and being a fellow acrophobe........I can let you know if there are any scary bits!

#62754 - 08/09/11 06:30 PM Re: Offas Dyke Pt.1 [Re: Calluna]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Have a good one.
Dave.

#62758 - 08/09/11 09:04 PM Re: Offas Dyke Pt.1 [Re: Calluna]
scaredovheights Offline

Thanks - and being a fellow acrophobe........I can let you know if there are any scary bits! [/quote]

Thanks, didn't like to ask!

#62760 - 09/09/11 08:49 AM Re: Offas Dyke Pt.1 [Re: Slogger]
Calluna Offline

Ta Dave. Looks like if I enjoy water running out of my knickers I will have a good time! ....the weather outlook is not very good. Gales, sever at times predicted for early next week. eek

Might look at a plan B for the Pandy to Hay day, do not want to be up on Hay Bluff in severe gales on my own. There must be a low level route I can take if necessary - but hoping things may have improved by then.
My decision to B&B and not camp looks even better now smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917