The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6226 - 20/09/06 06:22 PM Pen Y Ghent
AndyWalker Offline

I have in the past completed the PW in bits, some bits I have covered on several occasions. I have a fear of heights and have always taken the alternative path to HIR avoiding Pen Ghent.
I am up that way next week and am going to try to climb it, part of my worry is fear of getting down again. My question is, how steep/scarly is the not so steep path, (normally the path down on the PW).

#6227 - 20/09/06 08:48 PM Re: Pen Y Ghent
tomread Offline

I am terrible with heights and exposure. I similarly avoided the steep pull up Pen-y-ghent for years, based upon a couple of stories of vertigo sufferers having to turn back. I always went up and down the long track from HIR (the usual way down from PyG on the PW). The steep approach/descent from the summit on this section is fine; it is very wide and safe, just a bit tiring.

When I did the PW in the summer, it was my first attack on the steep end of PyG, straight up from the Fountains Fell side. There was nothing to it, and I couldn't understand why anyone would have to turn back. It's just a steep stony track and a final clamber over a large rock, where you have to put your hand down just once. You wouldn't even call it a scramble, just a step. There is no exposure at all.

Go for it.

#6228 - 20/09/06 10:31 PM Re: Pen Y Ghent
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Provided the weather is okay you will be fine.Take it easy and enjoy the view!

#6229 - 20/09/06 10:36 PM Re: Pen Y Ghent
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Andy

Enjoy it - You will wonder what the worry was about. The path up to Pen Y Ghent that you refer to is extremely safe. Ths teeper route i.e. the normal route following the PW is only steep in two short sections near the top. These sections have been improved by stoned paving over the years making it a safe ascent with hardly any scrambling and I would honestly say it is also perfectly safe.

#6230 - 21/09/06 07:03 AM Re: Pen Y Ghent
AndyWalker Offline

Ok, I think you guys have convinced me enough to give it a good go. Looking forward to getting up a hill for the first time in a year. (Distict lack of hills near Greay Yarmouth).

Andy

#6231 - 21/09/06 01:07 PM Re: Pen Y Ghent
Heatha Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
Andy - I hate to admit it but I'm abysmal with heights! I have been up Pen-Y-Ghent twice - once in low cloud - a dream (couldn't see any drops) - and once in brilliant sunshine and I coped. If I can, I'm sure you can! - Heatha.

#6232 - 22/09/06 03:34 AM Re: Pen Y Ghent
Vexmore Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
No Problem... I'd say it looks alot more itimidating than it really is. I walked it with a full kit this past summer and did'nt have any problems as well as the guy I saw coming down it with a full kit.. No problems.. Enjoy ! It's absolutely beautiful up there !!...

#6233 - 04/10/06 01:58 PM Re: Pen Y Ghent
AndyWalker Offline

Got back from my break on Saturday.

Climbed Pen Y Ghent no problem. I don't know what I was worried about.

Thanks for all the advice that helped me make the decision to attempt it.

Andy

#6234 - 04/10/06 09:11 PM Re: Pen Y Ghent
Heatha Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
Great - Andy - told you that you could do it if I could!

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917