The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2888
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35975 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62368 - 26/07/11 11:46 AM Food.
The Author Offline

Have completed the coast to coast twice in the last 2 years.Have decided to do something different this year and start the cleveland way next week! Anyone know of any nice places to eat in the following places

Helmsley
Osmotherly
Chop Gate
Guisborough
Staithes
Whitby
Scarborough

#62369 - 26/07/11 12:27 PM Re: Food. [Re: The Author]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Don't worry too much about planning where to eat in advance in the larger places, there is plenty of choice.

Scarborough ... You will pass the Oasis Cafe on the seafront in North Bay. Worth a stop for a snack. Avoid at all costs the Wetherspoons. Many reasonably priced eating places all over the town. Look along the main street behind the Grand Hotel.

Osmotherly. Traditionally walkers use the Queen Catherine.

Chop Gate. Only really the Buck Inn (remember to pronounce it as "yat", not gate).

Guisborough. Again, a wide choice.

Staithes. Cafe on the sea front and The Cod and Lobster. If the latter is not serving you may have to climb up to the more modern section of the village.

Whitby .... Don't be tempted by the queues outside the Magpie. Have fish and chips on the harbour front from Mr Chips on the Scarborough side of the swing bridge. For a pub, the Duke of York in the old town is a good choice. If you like raw kippers .... it has to be Fortunes down Henrietta Street. If you are there during the day the Tiffin Cafe down Baxtergate is an excellent choice, especially their Yorkshire Pudding dishes.

Helmsley. Several pubs (The Black Swan is expensive, the Faversham Arms quite upmarket). I like the Bakery tea rooms behind the library for a breakfast. If ar5riving during the day their pies are home made and excellent. The Feathers isn't a bad choice either.

Worth trying the Sutton bank information centre cafe.
Sadly Chequers (beyond Osmotherley)appears to have closed.
Lord Stones of course is worth a nibble
The Tea rooms at Ravenscar do a great egg and chips.

#62370 - 27/07/11 01:09 PM Re: Food. [Re: slowcoach]
The Author Offline

Thanks Slowcoach, thats really helpful! I will attempt to try them all! My B&B outside Chop Gate takes me to the Buck Inn as part of the deal although the used to take their guests to the Thai pub in Carlton. Although apart from the Lord Stones I haven't visited anywhere else. I start walking next Friday. taking my time over seven days. Not many days of 20 miles or more. thanks for your help

#62371 - 27/07/11 02:54 PM Re: Food. [Re: The Author]
flatlands Offline

I did the Cleveland Way, just gone in May. there is a walker friendly pub in Skelton Green called the Green Inn, although, you maybe a little early for a drink. However, there is a couple of cafe's in Skelton High Street.

#62382 - 28/07/11 10:10 PM Re: Food. [Re: flatlands]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Try Makins fish and chip shop in Helmsley.A really good product, and in my opinion,far better than what I purchased in Whitby.

#62388 - 29/07/11 07:02 AM Re: Food. [Re: tonyk]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Fish and Chips in Whitby (and Scarborough) is an extremely variable product. The Magpie, for example, is overrated and lives on its reputation. Expensive, long queues and no better than many of the takeaways along the main street. The takeaways themselves can be disappointing and, surprisingly, often use frozen fish. Everyone has their favourite, me included. I have never been disappointed in Mr Chips. It has a sit down restaurant but I prefer to eat it out of paper along the harbour front.

I have not tried it in Helmsley (I use the Bakery or travel to the Malt Shovel in Hovingham). Cheaper and as good as the Worsley Arms. I will give it a go on your recommendation. The prices in many Helmsley pubs has gone up alarmingly over the past couple of years, presumably to reflect its growing popularity with tourists.

#62555 - 22/08/11 04:10 PM Re: Food. [Re: slowcoach]
The Author Offline

Well completed it in 7 days only because I couldnt get a train home on my 6th day and did the last 23 miles in two days. Anyway, the food was good generally.

The feathers in Helmsley had the most enormous haddock, no room for anything else on the plate
Osmotherly cheap and cheerful
Chop Gate the Buck Inn - nice lamb Shank and some chop yat cider, a bit sweet for my liking
Guisborough - the Indian restaurant - very good indeed
Staithes - went to the Captain Cook under new management - noone eating there- very worried until great steak and ale pie
Whitby cant remember the place - not very good
Scarborough stayed at the hostel 100 yards away is a large chain pub 3.69 for the carvery all the veg you can eat and 2.00 a pint
10 mins to get seated but great value
Anyway the food was good! As for the walk, loved the first half
sutton bank,roseberry topping and the cleveland hills even guisborough woods but apart from the great stopping places on the coast, not convinced that I am a coastal walker! I spy something beginning with s, yes you guessed! the sea! A bit monotonous!
Very few people on the walk, met more coast to coast folk than anyone else!

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917