The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6246 - 28/09/06 11:03 AM Book Recommendation
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
It nearly 20 years since I did the Pennine Way. At that time I used a small book called "The Pennine Way" by Tom Stephenson which was very good. It even had specific map pages covering the possibly more difficult areas like Cross Fell.

I wanted to do it again but my dog has been diagnosed with a condition which would not be conducive to her to walking the whole stretch day after day. So we are going to do it in stages just walking 2 - 3 days at a time.

Please can anyone recommend a more current good book for us to use...well my dog and I. Also has the route changed much over the years eg. any paved areas now which you tend to find being built to prevent erosion?

Also, are the B & Bs generally willing to transfer your bag on to the next night's stopover and in some cases willing to pick you up at the end of a day's walk if not too far away?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

#6247 - 29/09/06 09:50 AM Re: Book Recommendation
Janice & Rottie Offline

Thanks Arial, I will look at those books.

#6248 - 29/09/06 01:04 PM Re: Book Recommendation
Heatha Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
If you let me know when you'll be walking through North Yorks, Janice, I'd be happy to join you for a few miles.

#6249 - 29/09/06 01:12 PM Re: Book Recommendation
Janice & Rottie Offline

Hi Heatha,

That would be a lovely change to have company. Thank you. It will be next year sometime. I will have my dog with me, but I hope that won't be a problem for you.

Shall I contact you via this site?

#6250 - 29/09/06 05:01 PM Re: Book Recommendation
Steve N Offline

Another book which has good and reasonably up to date route information is the Cicerone Pennine Way Guide (by Martin Collins I think...). I used this in conjunction with Ordnance Survey maps (which I posted on and collected from Post Offices, only carrying 2 at a time).

#6251 - 29/09/06 05:02 PM Re: Book Recommendation
Steve N Offline

...I should have said the Cicerone guide is also small (it will fit in a pocket) and not too heavy.

#6252 - 29/09/06 09:24 PM Re: Book Recommendation
Heatha Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
Janice - you have my email address so that would be a good way to contact me. Can I bring the aged Cassie with me? She'll be game! Next year will be better for us!

#6253 - 02/10/06 09:56 AM Re: Book Recommendation
Janice & Rottie Offline

Thanks Steve,

I always take my os maps with me too. But I will look at the book...like the size.

Heatha...of course Cassie can come along, Teazle will enjoy her company. But, sorry...I know I have e-mailed you the Two Moors Way spreadsheet, but still can't find your address. Can I get it off this site?

#6254 - 02/10/06 03:05 PM Re: Book Recommendation
Iain Coombs Offline

Loc: frankfurt, germany
The two Tony Hopkins Natural Trail Guides are well written and informative, if a little dry, they also include the OS extracts with the description although this is of course limited to the path and the immediate surroundings only.

The revised Wainwright guide is little quirky nowadays but has to be a must because of the drawings and comments in there.

The baggage service mentioned above by Arial is very helpful, it is a shame that Sherpa do not cover the whole route as their write ups are always very positive.

Its also 20 years since I was on the Pennine Way (at least on the northern half and the Edale section) and reading the books and forum comments much has changed with a lot of slabbed paths having been laid.

From when to when are you planning to do the various stages as there are a few forum people who will be there or thereabouts next spring.

#6255 - 02/10/06 04:15 PM Re: Book Recommendation
Janice & Rottie Offline

Hi Iain,

Thanks for the info.

I am not planning to do any stages until next year, probably starting in April or May. I will only be walking 2-3 days at the most and they won't be as long as I am sure a lot of the members do.

This will be the first time I will have done a LDP in this way and it is a bit sad because I just love the routine and all that goes with it when walking day after day after day. Unfortunately my dog has been diagnosed with a condition which would make it unfair to ask more from her, and that is what I do...walk with my dog. So we have to compromise.

Anyway, it would be fun to meet up with some of you guys but we will not be walking far enough each day for some I am sure.

I can't wait though...I will be hitting the City in a couple of weeks so will have a shufty at the books recommended.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917