The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62646 - 30/08/11 12:10 PM Last Minute Questions
ziawalker Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
We are staying an extra day in Patterdale and are wondering if we can hike Helvellyn from there. We're thinking of doing the high route from Grasemere to Patterdale, then Helvellyn the next day if possible and the weather is good. Or would a trip to Lake Ullswater be better?

Also, we're supposed to call our hotel for a ride when we get to Claybank Top. We will have a phone card only, not a phone. I've read there's nothing there, and I've also read there's a cafe there. Does anyone know where we'll be able to make a call.

Thank you for all your advice. Leaving tomorrow. Can't wait.

#62648 - 30/08/11 02:10 PM Re: Last Minute Questions [Re: ziawalker]
DodgeyKnee Offline

Loc: London
By 'the high route', I suppose you mean viaSt Sunday? Why not just hike over Helvellyn from Grasmere? Then enjoy a day on the lake...

#62649 - 30/08/11 03:03 PM Re: Last Minute Questions [Re: DodgeyKnee]
flatlands Offline

There is nothing at Clay Bank, no phone nor cafe. However, that is the Lord Stones cafe up on Carlton Bank, but no phone unles the owner's have a private phone.

TBH, I would personally take a cheap mobile with a credited sim. There are some phones which are out of order in the remote areas.

I would take the steamer boat one way to either Howtown or further on to Pooley Bridge and walk back via the lake path or vice versa.

#62653 - 30/08/11 07:20 PM Re: Last Minute Questions [Re: ziawalker]
Boots Offline

I go with DodgeyKnee and take Helvellyn en route from Grasmere to Patterdale. Will add a few hours to the day but it's a short day anyway - weather permitting of course. Good day that!

#62654 - 30/08/11 07:39 PM Re: Last Minute Questions [Re: Boots]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Clay Bank is technically the area around the car park to the north of the watershed a short distance north of where you cross the main road. There is, weather permitting, a tea van there which may also be selling burgers etc.There is an irregular mobile signal usually available. If not, move north slightly downhill along the road.

You actually cross the road at Haggs Gate. However, there is no telephone available at either site.

#62656 - 30/08/11 08:50 PM Re: Last Minute Questions [Re: slowcoach]
xraysteve Offline

Steamer on the Lake is a nice restful way to see some lovely scenery.

The walk down from clay bank is not silly (depending where you came from but if you start to walk down there is a forestry track which takes you on a route away from the road so there is less road walking.

#62662 - 31/08/11 05:18 PM Re: Last Minute Questions [Re: xraysteve]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
This is Clay bank Top where the route crosses the road. There is nothing there at all.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ZGqF5MO_y00/TblR5lsaW0I/AAAAAAAACPE/9biasDsxlpg/s640/P4220066.JPG
Dave.

#62663 - 31/08/11 07:02 PM Re: Last Minute Questions [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Clay Bank is the actual hill that climbs upwards from the north onto the moors.

To locals Clay Bank Top is the car park (important if you are being collected by a local for onward travel). The parking area is owned by the national park. There is generally a licensed refreshment van there at weekends all year and midweek from April until September, depending on the weather. Does burgers, hot drinks and snacks depending on which operator is there.
Again, to a local, the actual crossing point is known as Hagg's gate (see Wainwright's map ... he has got them correctly named) so, if you are being collected at Clay Bank Top this will mean the car park as it is the only convenient turning place on the road.

#62667 - 31/08/11 10:26 PM Re: Last Minute Questions [Re: slowcoach]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
I would ask someone nicely if you can borrow their mobile.
Sadly I will not be there to offer mine which has free calls to landlines, but a lot of mobile carriers have this provision,so someone may let you borrow one.
Yup Mad as hatters.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917