The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36021 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62706 - 03/09/11 03:20 PM 10 year old completes the Munro's
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I have completed 152 of the 282 Munro's, and know what an accomplishment this is for anyone never mind a lad that started them aged 6 years.
Along with his dad managed all 9 Mamores in a single outing! That is astonishing, a pal and myself managed it several years ago when very fit through fell running, but we still bust our guts. It is usually done over tow or more outings.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scotti...86908-23384859/
Dave.

#62707 - 03/09/11 03:52 PM Re: 10 year old completes the Munro's [Re: Slogger]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Know what you mean about the Mamores, Dave.
Took me two days - was camping in Glen Nevis, so that cost me 3000 feet of extra descent and re-ascent. I'm impressed that a kid of that age can do it in a day, no matter how well planned the expedition was.

A couple of years ago I was similarly amazed by the way young French kids were scampering up the mountains around Chamonix. I suppose if you're born to it, and your parents take you out onto the hills as sson as are able, remarkable things are possible.

#62794 - 12/09/11 01:22 AM Re: 10 year old completes the Munro's [Re: Stottie]
MarkF Offline

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
It's all about power to weight. Many of us could do more in a day if we (I include myself) lost the weight of our rucksack from our belly - possibly a bit more! Kids of that age usually have quite high power to weight ratios but lack the endurance - good nutrition on the hill can usually overcome this.

The completion of all 282 is the more remarkable aspect but it an opportunity that is provided by his parents. I only hope that the desire to do this is personal and due to a love of the outdoors rather than parentily induced.

#62803 - 12/09/11 03:46 PM Re: 10 year old completes the Munro's [Re: MarkF]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Power to weight, yes. That's why during the world indoor climbing championships, its the female climbers that get to tackle the the more impressive overhangs and roofs, whereas the men get the more technical routes.
Dave.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917