The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1696
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36020 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62868 - 18/09/11 04:48 PM Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month?
Redlesweb Offline

Loc: London & Glasgow
Not posted on this site for a few years so good to be back.

Just back from completing the Tour du Mont Blanc and already thinking of my next walk. I figured it's about time I got my act together and planned a C2C for 2012. Now I am sure that this question has been asked any amount of times and I'm being a touch lazy by not looking through previous posts, however, I'm keen to hear what others consider to be the better/preferential time of year to complete this walk?

Redlesweb

#62870 - 18/09/11 07:36 PM Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? [Re: Redlesweb]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
April for me.
Dave

#62876 - 18/09/11 10:41 PM Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? [Re: Slogger]
flatlands Offline

I'm planning a Coast to Coast too for 2012, probably May time or September.

April is a fair month, as this year was. But it is a gamble. I had August this year and a complete wash-out, just a gamble really.

#62881 - 19/09/11 01:28 PM Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? [Re: flatlands]
geofconnor Offline

Loc: Katonah, NY, USA
It depends what you want. Weather can be good/lousy any month. April/May and September/Oct usually has less people therefore more choice in accommodation (but still book 6 months ahead). June/August is crowded but means you will meet/mix with more fellow walkers.

Walking on my own I enjoyed East-West late September for the relative solitude and only 4 rainy days. Doing it this year in July with two other friends West-East was a completely different experience, mixing/interacting with lots more people (also had only 3 hours of light rain).

Geof

#62882 - 19/09/11 01:41 PM Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? [Re: geofconnor]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
I would normally choose September for my LDPs. Trails are quieter, well trodden and usually drier because of the summer and as previoulsy mentioned, accommodation easier to book. Usually September is a settled month, but it hasn't been this year.

#62894 - 20/09/11 05:50 PM Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? [Re: Janice & Rottie]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Although there are exceptions, the west tends to get a drier and sunnier spring whilst the east usually gets a drier and sunnier autumn. This is not a hard and foast rule, but a tendancy. The east has had a dry autumn up to this week, interspersed with the odd wet day. The west has been dampish. The Pennines are always wet!

So, if you want the rain behing you, go west to east in autumn or east to west in Spring. September is best for the heather being out, The late May bank holiday to the late August bank holiday is the busiest times whern accommodation often requires booking a long time in advance (unless you are camping)

Christman is usually quiet but you risk entombment in snowdrifts!

#62907 - 22/09/11 07:17 PM Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? [Re: slowcoach]
ziawalker Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
We walked September 2 to September 17, 2011 and we had terrible weather. Three days without rain, three days with pouring rain and the rest with off/on showers. We were told over and over that the best time is April/May. Personally, I wouldn't do it again until I saw the 30 day weather outlook even though that means booking at the last minute.

#62908 - 22/09/11 07:47 PM Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? [Re: ziawalker]
slowcoach Offline

In my opinion, the rain is far better than the humid heat that we had in late spring ..... assuming that you carry decent waterproofs!

#62911 - 22/09/11 09:54 PM Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? [Re: ziawalker]
suffolk stroller Offline

We were walking same time as you - 2nd to 16th September, maybe our paths crossed. The weather was pretty bad but I think as others have said you really can't predict when we are going to get good/bad weather in this country. There were several good days so it could have been worse! Not sure you can rely on a 30 day forecast, they can't predict accurately that far ahead, and also if you were staying in B&B's you'd probably find them pretty much booked up by then.

I'm not sure that September is quieter than other months, according to the B&B's its often the most popular month, maybe towards the end of the month it may be quieter, but then you get the shorter days and the baggage transfer companies stop end Sept/beg Oct.

I agree that walking during a heatwave could pose different problems - if it had been 30C in the Lakes I doubt if I would have managed it!

#62915 - 23/09/11 07:11 AM Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? [Re: suffolk stroller]
slowcoach Offline

Once the schools and colleges return then those able to select their holidays at will turn out in their numbers. The first week or so in September are very popular starting times at each end so, from about the third week in Sep. numbers tail odd quite quickly.

The same applies just before the late May bank holiday. Immediately after this date then numbers start to build up.

So, if you have a choice of dates and wish to avoid the hordes, start before the end of May or from late September onwards.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917