The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6310 - 14/11/06 07:21 AM Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Iain Coombs Offline

Loc: frankfurt, germany
My timetable is fixed and accommodation fully booked. Here is the plan:

April 28 Edale - Crowden, Windy Harbour Farm
April 29 to Standedge, Wellcroft House
April 30 to Hebden Bridge, Badger Fields Farm
May 1 to Stanbury, Ponden House
May 2 to East Marton, Sawley House
May 3 to Malham, Beck Hall
May 4 to Horton-i-R, Golden Lion Hotel
May 5 to Hawes, Ebor House
May 6 to Keld, Keld Lodge
May 7 to Baldersdale, Clove Lodge
May 8 to Langdon Beck, Langdon Beck Hotel
May 9 to Dufton, Ghyll View
May 10 to Garrigill, Post Office
May 11 to Alston, Cumberland Hotel
May 12 to Greenhead, Greenhead Hotel
May 13 to Once Brewed, Crows Nest
May 14 to Bellingham, Crofters End
May 15 to Byrness, Byrness Hotel
May 16 to Mountain Refuge Hut II
May 17 to Kirk Yetholm, Valleydene.

On Friday April 27 I will be staying over at Malham and will get a lift to Edale (leave Malham at 07:15) so I guess it will be a 09:00 kick off from the Old Nag's Head.

Happy to finalise any meets en route (Robbie, Fellwanderer, Janice) would however like to walk at my own pace (slow and deliberate !)

#6311 - 14/11/06 02:13 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Hi Iain,

I just booked my first three weekends last weekend. Unfortunately I am a week ahead of you. I am staying at Wellcroft House on 5th & 6th May though so I will meet you in spirit LOL !!!!

#6312 - 14/11/06 04:04 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
happywalker Offline

Loc: england
good luck, Ian. We did the PW this year. It was brilliant. Funnily enough, the only accomodation on your list that we stayed at was the Byrness. And that is a quirky place!

#6313 - 14/11/06 08:11 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Robbie Offline

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Hi Iain,

I just have a couple of B&B's to confirm and I will then post my plans but at the moment it looks like we will meet at the start (9am) and then at Badger Fields. I'm also in the Beck Hall in Malham the night before you. How's the training going? I'm doing the Sandstone Trail Thursday & Friday this week as a short test. Apart from that I've mainly been in the Peak District doing a number of John Merrills long circular walks.
Robbie

#6314 - 14/11/06 09:50 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Iain Coombs Offline

I'm busy belting around the hills and forests around the Taunus where I live (central Germany), plenty of wind and rain at this time of year so just right for the PW. It will be good to link up at the start, thereafter I'll be looking for the messages in the mountain refuge log books. Wish I could be in the Peak District for training, I used to enjoy walking there when I was younger. I grew up in Nottingham and did most of the Duke of Edinburgh's Award walks there, the first stage across Kinder Scout and Bleaklow is very well known although I've never been there since its all been slabbed.

Sorry to miss Janice and Rottie, I'll leave a trail of dog biscuits from the path to Wellcroft as its a bit of hike down the hill to get there.

I'm also "excited" about the Byrness Hotel, have decided to buy the Addams Family DVD so I can bone up. I reckon I'll be packing the Trangia out for supper when I'm there. In any event I'll give my account to the Byrness Hotel thread (shared showers and VAT swindles !)

I could get going on this tomorrow.

#6315 - 15/11/06 09:43 AM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
Ian, when we did the PW this summer - now last summer - we stayed at the Byrness. Perhaps not the slickest B and B operation, but still tuned in to the needs of walkers.

The Cumberland at Alston does great beer, great food and great beer. I know I mentioned beer twice, but I like beer!

We did Byrness to KY in a day so didn't stay at the Refuge Hut. We did however have pit stops in them. They are basic but solid, dry and out of the wind. Directions are given to near by running water.

#6316 - 15/11/06 01:36 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Iain,

Can you leave a trail of dog biscuits all along the route please. This will ensure Teazle (rottie) and I don't get lost. She will follow the scent and I will follow her. More dependable than a compass since I can't read one !!!!

#6317 - 15/11/06 05:07 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Robbie Offline

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Yes, the Peak District is a most beautiful place, plenty of mist and rain! To be fair though I've had some great days including a Shutlingsloe - Shining Tor circular and a successful attempt at the Dark Peak Challenge (one of John Merrills day walk challenges, 24 miles. These are becoming addictive!). I must say I can't wait until next April, really looking foward to all the highlights people have posted on this site, the anticipation made even greater by reading and looking at the web sites people have posted, inspirational!

#6318 - 18/11/06 10:06 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Fellwanderer Offline

Loc: Durham
Iain

I reckon we should cross swords in Gargrave!

Should be finalising my backing for this charity walk on Wednesday.

#6319 - 19/11/06 03:43 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Iain Coombs Offline

I've been away the last couple of days. Thanks for the replies.

I'm looking forward to the beer in Alston, I knew it was the right decision to plan the short walk from Garrigill to Alston. I also have Valleydene booked on May 16 in case I need to come off the route for whatever reason.

I have ordered 50 kg of dog biscuits and am trying to organise a Sherpa to have a break from Everest for a couple of weeks to carry them.

I've made a note of Gargrave on May 3. It'll be a swig of Jägermeister with Robbie on the 28th and one with FW on the 3rd. I'll take care not to drink it all before then.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917