The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6320 - 20/11/06 01:23 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Thank you Iain, I can leave the compass at home then.

You will aslo have a rottweiler friend for life.

Enjoy the walk.

#6321 - 20/11/06 06:06 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Robbie Offline

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Completed the Sandstone Trail last Friday, an excellent 2 day walk with a very enjoyable stay at the Pheasant Inn (Burwardsley) along the way. I just hope every night along the PW offers similar good food and wine/beer. Although I have had a number of holidays walking of 5-6 consecutive days I have never done back to back days having to walk over 15 miles a day. Certainly a few lessons learned, the main one being what not to take! I can now see how easy it is to pack too much and not need most of it and how too much weight affects the feet. I did though enjoy the simple fact that it was a linear walk and that with every step you had a new view to admire, it also made the last couple of miles on day one with the prospect of a log fire and a drink just that little bit easier. All in all a useful short LDW and makes the anticipation of next years biggy all the greater!

#6322 - 01/12/06 01:38 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Robbie Offline

This is the plan!

April 28, Edale-Torside
April 29, to Standedge
April 30, to Blackshaw Head
May 1, to Cowling
May 2, to Malham
May 3, to Horton-in-Ribbersdale
May 4, to Hawes
May 5, to Tan Hill
May 6, to Middleton-in-Teesdale
May 7, to Dufton
May 8, to Alston
May 9, to Greenhead
May 10, to Bellingham
May 11, to Byrness
May 12, to Kirk Yetholm

So 15 days walking with no days off! This is mainly due to holiday restrictions. I should be getting to the start line around 9am, look forward to taking those first steps with you Iain!

Robbie

#6323 - 01/12/06 08:44 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Fellwanderer Offline

Loc: Durham
Well, Robbie - we should pass one another somewhere between Horton and Malham.

#6324 - 02/12/06 08:34 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Robbie Offline

Look forward to it! Just back from another John Merrill walk, this time in Cheshire. Great day out although the field were very energy sapping after all the recent rain, often up to my ankles in mud and cow muck!

Robbie

#6325 - 01/01/07 04:43 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Im thinking of doing the PW this year, probably mid summer. I will be lightweight camping with no itinary. I will just finish each day as and where I feel is right. With the emphasis being on total unrestricted freedom of being able to change my mind as I see fit. If I feel good I can have a really long day and a short day if otherwise, even walking through the night with right moonlight and resting up during the next day. No real planning and the options are endless, the sense of freedom and adventure complete - wonderful.
Dave.

[This message has been edited by Slogger (edited 01 January 2007).]

#6326 - 01/01/07 08:38 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Hi Slogger,
i think that is a good idea,
i have often thought an early start, walk to a goob pub and have a pub meal and a pint ot two and then get your head down, wake up and walk till you are tired again then head down again,
if you get a good pub meal ever day it will save you carrying a lot of supplies
also night walking in the moonlight can be very romantic if you are walking with your girl friend. only thing is if you are on your own and get in to difficulty during the night it might be dangerous
all the best on your walk
regards
ern

#6327 - 02/01/07 01:04 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
andyomper Offline

Hi

I did the way this summer July / August when it was stupidly hot, a totally excelent experience though! Just thought i'd comment on night walking. We walked from about 7.30am each morning and usually reached our destination by 3 or 4 in the afternoon, had a picnic lunch (2 tracker bars) as it was so hot didn't feel hungry! Anyway getting to my point after a day's walking had a nice pub meal and a couple of beers (always meant to have more), I actually never fell asleep in the dark as was completely knackered and asleep by 9pm every night! how crap were we!! or sensible depending on how you look at it.

actually can't work out after writing this if I actually had a point or not!

cheers anyway and good luck

Andy

#6328 - 02/01/07 06:55 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Andy, that's okay, few people on here bother about whether they have a point to make or not.

#6329 - 02/01/07 08:47 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
andyomper Offline

Cheers LL, I think!!?

Andy

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917