Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2631
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1462
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8252 Members
17 Forums
3340 Topics
34934 Posts

Max Online: 234 @ 03/05/12 11:34 AM
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63682 - 29/12/11 09:16 AM Re: Snow [Re: slowcoach]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Originally Posted By: slowcoach
Don't run yourself down Tim. Enjoy every day as I'm sure you do.

I hope I can still match your exploits when I reach your age.

Thanks Slowcoach and if you keep active ,as I am sure you will, I have no doubt at all that you will easily surpass my little
exploits

#63683 - 29/12/11 09:43 AM Re: Snow [Re: slowcoach]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Slowcoach, what are you saying here.....you going to quit work or walking?

Don't rush at either of them, enjoy every moment.

#63684 - 29/12/11 09:53 AM Re: Snow [Re: Oldun]
Oldun Offline

Ok. The morning bulletin from La Suisse.

I don't know if any one noticed but there was an icky bicky earth rumble in our region a couple of days ago, registering 3 point something on the Richter scale. Made local headlines but little else.

Despite 3 metre high multicolor notices written in 4 languages warning people not to go "off-piste" owing to the severe avalanche danger, idiots are still living up to their names of "Free riders". Yesterday in a totally forbidden area they managed to start off an avalanche that broke down property. Happily no one was injured. However, insurances are refusing to pay for the damages and any future medical costs.

I read somewhere that police are now patrolling the slopes looking for people that would be better off in a mental home.

#63686 - 29/12/11 10:38 AM Re: Snow [Re: Oldun]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Oldun,
I heard there had been a slight rummle in the York area.
as for mental people, the ones who caused the avalanche should be made to pay for the damage.
just read in the local paper a new millionaire in the York area , so I am busy finding out where to send the begging letters!

Cheers

#63690 - 29/12/11 03:59 PM Re: Snow [Re: Oldun]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
[quote=Oldun]Slowcoach, what are you saying here.....you going to quit work or walking?

Don't rush at either of them, enjoy every moment."

I officially retired when I was 60 but stayed on in order to train youngsters. Now I am approaching 65 I am finding the physicality of it increasingly tiring.
Last Autumn my wife and I sat on top of Shining Tor and saw miles of hills that we couldn't name and that we have never visited. We got talking about this and decided that perhaps my 65th would be a watershed and we should be exploring new areas.
I feel that I have done my stint and now I should be reaping the benefits. My contract expires at the end of March so a decision will have to be made quickly!

#63692 - 29/12/11 11:09 PM Re: Snow [Re: slowcoach]
Oldun Offline

Slowcoach, go for it. My life totally changed when I retired, from one day to the next. I finished work late one night with everything clean, sorted and clear. The next morning I woke up I forgot about work and never sought to go back, or find a part time job and never kept up with work colleagues.

A new life suddenly opened up..................

Now there are not enough hours in the day to get done what I have to do..........

The retirement trap is never being able to finish a job that you have just started...there is always something else pressing that must be done...you start the new job and forget to finish the job you were just doing....a bit like a butterfly flitting from flower to flower before sucking the first flower dry.

#63693 - 30/12/11 07:25 AM Re: Snow [Re: Oldun]
slowcoach Offline

Oldun .....Thanks for the advice .... points to ponder!

#63694 - 30/12/11 09:59 AM Re: Snow [Re: slowcoach]
Harland Online   content

Loc: England
I agree with Oldun, "retirement" is magic! You can do what you want, when you want. I thought it would be like a long weekend but it is much better than that! Make sure that you do things whilst you are able to so that as you sit in your rocking chair in years to come you don't think "If only....." but "That was really enjoyable with lovely memories".

#63698 - 30/12/11 04:28 PM Re: Snow [Re: Harland]
slowcoach Offline

Originally Posted By: Harland
I agree with Oldun, "retirement" is magic! You can do what you want, when you want. I thought it would be like a long weekend but it is much better than that! Make sure that you do things whilst you are able to so that as you sit in your rocking chair in years to come you don't think "If only....." but "That was really enjoyable with lovely memories".

Duplicate post ......

My only fear about the future is that one day the Grim Reaper will approach me and say "Aye lad ... Th' times up, I've come for thee"

As I shed my mortal coil and make my way heavenwards I catch one last glance of England and glimpse a hill that I haven't walked up ..

I would never rest in peace if this happened.

#63699 - 30/12/11 04:36 PM Re: Snow [Re: slowcoach]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
SC,
If you really have those thoughts then there isn't that much to ponder surely ?
Enjoy your retirement, it sounds like you have it well plotted in your mind so best crack on with it !
All the best
Les

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

Copyright The Sherpa Van Project, 29 The Green, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4RG. Tel 0871 5200124 Fax (44) 01748 825561