Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2631
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1462
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8252 Members
17 Forums
3340 Topics
34937 Posts

Max Online: 234 @ 03/05/12 11:34 AM
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63797 - 14/01/12 09:17 PM Re: Snow [Re: slowcoach]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
This bird was definitely a Capercaille. The photo I took of it compares exactly with a photo in a local bird book and like Tim says, it was as big as a turkey. Grouse are about a third of the size. The book says that they do not fly about much but like to creep around wild pine forests. I guess this one was just bored and lonely, or maybe it has got used to people leaving behind tidbits for it.

In our walks we have found that wild deer will approach walkers and only step aside at the last moment. When it is the authorized hunting season you do not see a deer for love or money. Maybe they are learning to read the signs.

What we are constantly on the look out for are Lynx. They have been reported in the hills close to here and we have seen unusual paw marks in the mud and snow, but as yet we have had no sighting.

#63798 - 14/01/12 09:24 PM Re: Snow [Re: Oldun]
tim smith Online   content

Loc: england
we notice the Pheasents seem to know when it is the close season

#63803 - 15/01/12 04:24 PM Re: Snow [Re: tim smith]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
We saw a Capercaille whilst at our basecamp in the Cairgorms a few years ago, big Turkey like bird and talk about run!
Ptarmigans are about the size of a Grouse and also do not like to fly without good cause.
Dotterills are ever present on the Munro's and fly away as you approach, except when with young, when they are quite confident and will stand their ground allowing you to pass only feet away without any intention of flying away.
We are still awaitin a possitive sighting of a Golden Eagle. We think we saw one when Munroing off the A9, it was a large bird soaring some height and distance away so we could not be sure.
However since starting the Munro's I have added several species to my list that I had not seen before and I was keen Twitcher at one time.
Dave

#63804 - 15/01/12 07:08 PM Re: Snow [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire

"Dotterills are ever present on the Munro's and fly away as you approach,"

Never trust a Scottish bird ... miserable little blighters

"Dotterel is a tame bird which will often allow very close approach. The scientific name Charadrius morinellus reflects this unworldly and unhealthy attitude towards people – morinellus means ‘little fool’.

http://www.birdwatch.co.uk/categories/articleitem.asp?cate=26&topic=132&item=494

#63805 - 15/01/12 08:09 PM Re: Snow [Re: slowcoach]
Oldun Offline

Slogger. That's very interesting that you saw a Capercaille in the Cairgorms. In the bird book I read that they were hunted to extinction in Britain many years ago for food. Maybe they have started spreading back from Europe. I must say that it is the first time I have ever heard of or seen one.

Regarding Golden Eagles. A short distance from here is a town called Aigle (eagle in French) which is surrounded on three sides by steep sided mountains. When one walks up out of Aigle is is not uncommon to see mixed flights of eagles soaring around the chalets, some of these eagles are very large and have the blue band showing underwing. They seemed to strongly resemble Golden Eagles. They rarely seem to flap their wings, but glide effortlessly everywhere.

#63823 - 18/01/12 06:31 PM Re: Snow [Re: Oldun]
brief encounter Offline

I had a sea gull near St.Bees and then a shag in Ennerdale

#63824 - 18/01/12 07:45 PM Re: Snow [Re: brief encounter]
Oldun Offline

What more could one hope for...............

#63825 - 19/01/12 07:21 AM Re: Snow [Re: Oldun]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
........ that this isn't Mr Grimsdale under a different avatar!

#63834 - 20/01/12 04:47 AM Re: Snow [Re: slowcoach]
Gregg Online   content

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
On returning from a short vacation exploring Mayan ruins in Honduras, I found my flower beds torn up by marauding wild turkeys (28 in the flock), hunting for
insects I suppose. These beasts give my wife and I fits, but we love them anyway. If motivated, they will fly for 100 feet, 15 feet off the ground.

In Honduras, Macaws would land on my arm and dig their claws into my skin before flying off. But they charmed me with their colorful beauty.

#63838 - 20/01/12 05:53 PM Re: Snow [Re: Oldun]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: Oldun
Slogger. That's very interesting that you saw a Capercaille in the Cairgorms. In the bird book I read that they were hunted to extinction in Britain many years ago for food.

You are correct that they were driven to extinction in Britain many years ago but have been intriduced since invarious programs.
However their failure at breeding here has lead to them being in danger once more.
As you can see from the link there are near to 2,000 individual birds estimated.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/capercaillie/index.aspx
Dave.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

Copyright © The Sherpa Van Project, 29 The Green, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4RG. Tel 0871 5200124 Fax (44) 01748 825561