Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2630
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1462
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8252 Members
17 Forums
3337 Topics
34924 Posts

Max Online: 234 @ 03/05/12 11:34 AM
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63840 - 21/01/12 09:34 AM Re: Snow [Re: Slogger]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
That's him. Quite an imposing size when you are sitting and he is standing next to you, showing absolutely no fear. Or maybe it is stupidity, as this may be the reason that they got snapped up so easily.

#63887 - 26/01/12 08:22 PM Re: Snow [Re: Oldun]
Oldun Offline

Saw another capercaille yesterday walking along behind a group of 8 year olds like a pet dog. Very strange. These birds must have descended on our area for some reason. Cannot understand why they have absolutely no fear. They remind me of farmyard geese in their actions.

To continue...did 14 miles cross-country yesterday wearing snowshoes. Quite an exercise galumping over deep virgin snow that had covered up or altered most land marks. Really relied upon my GPS, compass and map to get dead reckoning headings. Lots of guesswork. Luckily the snow was blowing against our backs, but visibility was still impaired.

Can hardly move my legs today...the muscles are as stiff as boards. Think I will go and sit in a sauna for a couple of hours to see if they loosen off a bit.

#63889 - 26/01/12 09:23 PM Re: Snow [Re: Oldun]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
14 miles in snowshoes has got to equivolent to over 20 miles of normal walking.
Dave.

#63947 - 02/02/12 07:31 AM Re: Snow [Re: Slogger]
Oldun Offline

I don't know how everybody else is doing but it is scary cold here, with a strong ice wind blowing. Absolutely no walking for the next week or so, just survival.

It is reported that several people have been frozen to death, but they would be the ones living rough.

This coming week we have been told to expect down to minus 17 C here, with probable minus 40 C in the hills.

I celebrated my enprisonment in the house by falling down the stairs yesterday. I am alright though, as I landed on my head. Look as though I lost a boxing match.

#63951 - 02/02/12 03:43 PM Re: Snow [Re: Oldun]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
At least you didn't fall down the side of a hill! Take care in the bad weather. Get a fire going and get out the maps of the long distance paths.

#63954 - 02/02/12 06:56 PM Re: Snow [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Snow expected on Saturday, looks like the Pennine Bridleway Fell Race Relays will be called off, which i was going to help out on, so may go for a walk instead.
It's icy cold here too but nowhere near as bad as mainland Europe at the moment, but is moving ever more slowly towards us.
It's expected to be on the cold side throughout this month.
Dave.

#63956 - 02/02/12 09:47 PM Re: Snow [Re: Slogger]
Oldun Offline

If we are dressed correctly its not a problem to walk. What hurts is the frozen air going into your lungs. It is necessary to have a cagoul permanently over your nose and mouth, but this gets sopping wet on the inside with a build up of ice on the outside, and when you stop to rest your glasses steam up and you can't see a damn thing.

Just remembering working in Poland in the '60's when it was minus 35C. There was so much snow and ice the village was cut off for two weeks and all we had to eat were peanuts that my mum had given me and some strips of white fat covered in paprika. There was a plentiful supply of vodka, and after 500gms you don't feel anything and the days pass quickly.

#63975 - 04/02/12 02:05 PM Re: Snow [Re: Oldun]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
It was minus 10 here last night and that was bad enough for me.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#63990 - 05/02/12 03:17 PM Re: Snow [Re: joyce taylor]
Slogger Offline

We escaped the snow that fell on a lot of the UK yesterday, however conditions became lethal as we got rain instead falling onto frozen ground and vehcles fencing etc. Everything coverd in Verglas (Transparent sheet ice). This morning although warmed up to above freezing level huge icicles everywhere and hanging from vehicle sills, thankfully the roads and paths are thawing quickly.
Dave.

#64003 - 06/02/12 12:01 PM Re: Snow [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
We had 5'' down here in hertfordshire but its well above freezing today and its slowly melting. Hopefully the temperature wont plummet down too much over night to freeze everything. One thing that is very noticeable is how still the air is, no wind at all and no noise, its very noticeable, also making it very misty in the evening and first thing.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

Copyright The Sherpa Van Project, 29 The Green, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4RG. Tel 0871 5200124 Fax (44) 01748 825561