The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2884
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1682
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35948 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63746 - 06/01/12 03:42 PM Re: Deviations from the Way [Re: Rhodesy]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Unless the mist is down there are no navigational problems. You are walking along a ridge with a wall running along the top. For a vast majority of the way you can see the valleys at each side of you. So, basically, having attained the summit wall you merely follow it along the top of the ridge to beyond Cosh. Even before the trig point at Horse Head you can the whole of your route ahead quite clearly.

You can also see (again assuming that them isn't isn't down) the slopes of Plover Hill once the bulk of Darnbrook Fell is out of the line of sight.

The footpath due west from Kettlewell is initially clear and then has places where it becomes indistinct. However, there are no problems just heading the short distance upwards to the wall.

The bridleway to through Moor farm and the one which meets it and ascends the ridge is also easy to follow. It passes through the summit wall at a gap so all tracks head for this point

Rhodesy's route is also easy to follow although a tad longer. Don't worry about navigation though for, if the weather is clear it is a doddle. If it is bad, I should stick to a lower alternative.

#63749 - 06/01/12 05:08 PM Re: Deviations from the Way [Re: slowcoach]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
I like this plan, it should be a doodle. Those are nice, clear comments on the path Rhodesy and Slowcoach. I'll probably strike out due west of Kettlewell to meet up with the wall. I am excited about walking the ridge. However, like any higher level walk, it all depends on the weather; like Slowcoach suggests, I will stick to the Dales Way to Yokenthwaite if rain is thwarting the views.

Thanks again guys. You have been a big help.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917