Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2630
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1462
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8252 Members
17 Forums
3339 Topics
34931 Posts

Max Online: 234 @ 03/05/12 11:34 AM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63552 - 08/12/11 09:11 PM Snow
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
After several days of torrential rain and freezing winds the sky has cleared to show white capped mountains all around. Got the car out and drove up to around 4000ft, put on my snow shoes and managed to do around eight miles through virgin snow. Great views, but very cold and tiring. Lovely to walk through unmarked snow with nobody else around, just the noise of the wind and the creaking of the snow being compressed under the shoes. Or was it the creaking of old bones under extreme stress?

Still, first time out on shoes this winter. Didn't do too bad.

#63553 - 08/12/11 09:53 PM Re: Snow [Re: Oldun]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
They cancelled the skiing grand prix at Valdersaire (Spelling) due to lack of snow this week, and the event has been transferred to Canadas Lake Louise area where they have had more than usual amounts.
Dave.

#63554 - 09/12/11 03:00 AM Re: Snow [Re: Slogger]
westcoasthiker Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Unlike the year of the Olympics, 2010, our local mountains have been covered in snow since early November. Skiing started early this year so I'm not surprised Lake Louise has lots of snow. It's just nice it's on the mountains and not messing up the roads in the city.

#63555 - 09/12/11 04:06 PM Re: Snow [Re: westcoasthiker]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
When I was up Gable in mid October there was lying snow from the summit of Green Gable onwards. This is the second year that I have had the first snow at this time in the Lakes. Yesterday the winds made being outside unsafe and there was flooding in lower Swaledale and Wensleydale.

I have two days walking in the Dales booked next week (Hoove, Cleasy Hill and Water Crag amongst others planned) so I have my fingers crossed it will have dried out a little.

#63571 - 13/12/11 07:58 PM Re: Snow [Re: slowcoach]
slowcoach Offline

I have just watched tomorrows weather forecast from inside the Scotch Corner Travelodge. Looks like my two days in the Pennines may have to be put on the back burner! 10 cm of snow, 1 degree and 60MPH gales.
Even this will still be better than Christmas shopping though!

#63572 - 13/12/11 08:36 PM Re: Snow [Re: slowcoach]
westcoasthiker Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
If the winds were not in the forecast you would probably have a nice walk. I do agree with you about Christmas shopping especially the slow walkers leaving their shopping carts all over the place!!

#63576 - 14/12/11 09:30 AM Re: Snow [Re: westcoasthiker]
Oldun Offline

Just watched BBC News at 10hrs this morning. They were showing the work of the Lake District rescue services. There is a guy (sorry, can't remember his name), who walks every day up to the top of Helvelen (3000ft) in all weathers to check on that days weather conditions. It showed him strolling up yesterday in snow with -12C at the top. My God, that guy must be fit to do that walk everyday. I take my hat off to him.

There was a lovely border collie kissing up to the BBC interviewer. Wish I had one of them as a mate.

#63580 - 14/12/11 05:23 PM Re: Snow [Re: Oldun]
slowcoach Offline

I set off along the A66 with Brownber Head as my intended destination. However, the snow got heavier and heavier and the road narrower and narrower so I abandoned the idea to try Water Crag. However, the Kirby S to Swaledale road was blocked by snow.

I finished up going back to Reeth (in case the A66 was closed) and walking up Peat Moor Hill in driving sleet, gale force winds and a deep covering of snow. Only 4 miles but in a strange way it was really enjoyable, especially on the top when I had the whole world to myself. And the alternative (Christmas shopping) was just too depressing to think about.

Better luck tomorrow ?

#63581 - 14/12/11 05:26 PM Re: Snow [Re: slowcoach]
slowcoach Offline

"I do agree with you about Christmas shopping especially the slow walkers leaving their shopping carts all over the place!!"

I once went into Morrisons with a trolley. It was so crowded I fled the place, but not before pushing my unused trolley into another shoppers empty one and recovering my 1 coin. Wonder what she thought!

#63586 - 16/12/11 02:17 PM Re: Snow [Re: slowcoach]
Oldun Offline

Sitting indoors listening to hurricane Joachim raging outside. It is raining horizontally and the News reports gusting between 90 to 120 mph. It is unseasonably warm at the moment but 14 inches of snow are forecast for the weekend across our region.

Meanwhile, my fish pond has flooded onto the lawn and the birds are doing trapeze acts in the trees. The noise of the wind and rain hitting the roof makes listening to someone talking a little difficult.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

Copyright The Sherpa Van Project, 29 The Green, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4RG. Tel 0871 5200124 Fax (44) 01748 825561