Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2630
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1462
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8252 Members
17 Forums
3339 Topics
34931 Posts

Max Online: 234 @ 03/05/12 11:34 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63610 - 20/12/11 06:04 PM Re: Deviations from the Way [Re: Slogger]
Rhodesy Offline

Loc: Keighley, West Yorkshire
With regard to an alternative from Kettlewell over to Ribblesdale, one of the best walks I've ever done was the length of the ridge of Birks Fell from Kettlewell (Kettlewell, Birks Fell, Firth Fell, Horse Head Moor, Cosh Outside) then dropping down and back up to Plover Hill and down Penyghent. I would definately recommend doing that.

#63611 - 20/12/11 06:29 PM Re: Deviations from the Way [Re: Rhodesy]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: Rhodesy
With regard to an alternative from Kettlewell over to Ribblesdale, one of the best walks I've ever done was the length of the ridge of Birks Fell from Kettlewell (Kettlewell, Birks Fell, Firth Fell, Horse Head Moor, Cosh Outside) then dropping down and back up to Plover Hill and down Penyghent. I would definately recommend doing that.

Is that on paths or just following walls?
Dave.

#63636 - 24/12/11 07:35 PM Re: Deviations from the Way [Re: Slogger]
Rhodesy Offline

Following walls, although there tend to be minor paths on much of the Access Land, and there are stiles for most if not all the wall crossings. If I remember rightly, visiting the Horse Head trig point means you need to go through a gate and follow the other side of the wall for a few hundred yards then retrace your steps to get back onto the right side of the wall.

#63730 - 04/01/12 04:32 PM Re: Deviations from the Way [Re: Rhodesy]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
There is a clear, easy to follow path alongside the summit wall all the way from the trig point at Old Cote Moor Top to the Trig point at Cosh Outside.

I picked it up at Old Cote Moor having used the bridleway from Litton, noticing that the path appeared to start well to the south east.

After Cosh Outside I followed the watershed as far as Plover Hill. This is mainly untrodden fell as it involves picking your way up the outcrop north of Plover Hill. On the day that I did it the watershed around Lante Shop was only passable with care and wearing wellingtons or boots. Some of this may be avoidable using the adjacent footpath to the east (after crossing the bridleway). There is a well trodden path between Plover Hill and Pen-y-ghent

#63737 - 05/01/12 12:03 AM Re: Deviations from the Way [Re: slowcoach]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
Yes Slowcoach and Rhodsey, that looks like quite a nice ridge walk from Old Cote Moor Top to Horse Head and Cosh Outside, just the kind of walk I like. But I would be concerned about finding my way on my own and getting from Cosh to Plover Hill.
If I had a guide, I might consider it. But for now, my plans are to follow the DW to Yokenthwaite, cut over to Halton Gill (with a side walk up to Horse Head trig point), then over to Plover Hill and Pen-y-ghent.

Thanks a lot guys for all the information and suggestions. It has helped my planning tremendously.

#63738 - 05/01/12 07:54 AM Re: Deviations from the Way [Re: Gregg]
slowcoach Offline

Just a thought ...... have you considered ....

Grassington ... Threshfield ...Minor road to Mastiles Lane Follow Mastiles (unmade up track, easy to follow) to Street Gate .... Water Houses and then follow the Pennine Way to Pen-y-gent. Very easy walking. clear tracks, includes Fountains Fell (on route) and Darnbrook as a deviation.

Mind you, there is a summit wall all the way along the Horse Head ridge so there are no navigational problems. You can then cut down the easy to follow track to Halton Gill.

#63739 - 05/01/12 07:54 AM Re: Deviations from the Way [Re: Gregg]
slowcoach Offline

Just a thought ...... have you considered ....

Grassington ... Threshfield ...Minor road to Mastiles Lane Follow Mastiles (unmade up track, easy to follow) to Street Gate .... Water Houses and then follow the Pennine Way to Pen-y-gent. Very easy walking. clear tracks, includes Fountains Fell (on route) and Darnbrook as a deviation.

Mind you, there is a summit wall all the way along the Horse Head ridge so there are no navigational problems. You can then cut down the easy to follow track to Halton Gill.

#63741 - 05/01/12 07:02 PM Re: Deviations from the Way [Re: Gregg]
Rhodesy Offline

It isn't too tricky to get from Cosh to Plover Hill as long as you follow the walls and have the right map (1:25000) as these show waals. However, your plan sounds pretty decent too - enjoy!

#63742 - 05/01/12 08:41 PM Re: Deviations from the Way [Re: Rhodesy]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
It's great fun examining the maps for various routes, there are so many ways to walk to Pen-y-ghent. Slowcoach, I have previously walked the Pennine Way, plus I am booked into Kettlewell YHA, so I am committed to approaching Horton from the east.

That said, I am still intrigued by the ridge from Old Cote Moor Top to the Horse Head trig point. Knowing there is a wall to follow makes a difference. Now, how to access the wall? From Kettlewell, there is a track north to Moor End, then a path continuing slightly north and turns west to gain the ridge at 520 m. On the map, I see a path coming up from the south at this point but I don't see anything northward along the ridge. My question, does the wall along the ridge extend this far south? If not, how obvious is the way along the ridge? This could be a good plan and I should be able to get more info in Kettlewell. What do you'all think?

Cheers

#63743 - 05/01/12 09:17 PM Re: Deviations from the Way [Re: Gregg]
Rhodesy Offline

Rather than heading north out of Kettlewell, I would head south on the path to Hawkswick. You can follow this as far as the wall and then turn right (keeping the wall on your left), or cut across to join it earlier on.

Doing this means you join the ridge south of the trig point at 434metres (called Middlesmoor Pasture, although it stands about a kilometre south-east of where this is written on the map).

Then follow the wall, keeping it on your left, for about 3 miles to Old Cote Moor Top. Cross a stile and go to a wall to the east which leads to the 607metre Firth Fell trig point.

From here, just keep on top of the ridge, keeping the wall on your left and being careful not to drop down too much. The two spots where you'd need to check the map a bit more closely are near High Combe Stoop and then after Horse Head trig point as at both locations you change direction a bit and there are a few walls coming together.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

Copyright The Sherpa Van Project, 29 The Green, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4RG. Tel 0871 5200124 Fax (44) 01748 825561