The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6370 - 12/02/07 05:10 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Iain Coombs Offline

Loc: frankfurt, germany
Thanks Robbie, my wife would be doing the trail as well were it not for the two little ones. She has supported me tremendously throughout; I have been planning the walk for almost 18 months now and she was the first to say that I should go ahead with the walk after we knew that she was pregnant. I even managed to find a Pennine Way book in German so she could read about each stage and the country covered - "you'd better have some waterproof gear" was the first comment !

In any event I'll be sending her and the two little ones to a Center Parcs not far from my parents in law for two of the weeks so she'll be able to get away from the four walls as well.

#6371 - 16/04/07 04:49 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Robbie Offline

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Well, less than 2 weeks now to the off! Have just checked the BBC monthly weather forecast and it doesn't look too bad but I guess it will be what it will be.
Iain,
Is it all coming together? I still plan to be at the start line at around 9am if your around, failing that I'm sure we'll meet somewhere on Kinder.
Looking forward to spending two weeks off the motorways,
Robbie

#6372 - 17/04/07 02:56 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Iain Coombs Offline

Loc: frankfurt, germany
Robbie,

I'm ready to go, bought some of the last things I need from the local Globetrotter store this afternoon.

The baggage carrier that operates south of Malham will be transporting me and my Rucksack from Kirby Malham to Edale on Saturday leaving KM at 07:15. Not sure how long it takes to get to E but I'm sure our paths will cross on the first day despite my innate slowness.

We both at Badger Fields at the end of Day 3 at any rate.

I'm looking forward to no work stuff for my three weeks. Christ am I looking forward to that !!

#6373 - 22/04/07 08:56 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Fellwanderer Offline

Loc: Durham
I'm off in the morning. Heading across Hadrian's Wall first and then down to pick up the Pennine Way at Middleton in Teesdale. Pity the forecast is for rain for first two days after glorious weather on HW last week.

I should be leaving Middleton next Monday morning and having, hopefully, an easier second week down to Haworth.

Intending to keep an online diary when access allows at:
www.blencathra.org.uk/cfwalk

#6374 - 30/04/07 06:47 AM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Fellwanderer Offline

Finished the first week much more comfortably than I'd expected. Off to Middleton-in-Teesdale this morning to join the PW. May see one or two of you.

#6375 - 10/05/07 02:17 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Fellwanderer Offline

Finished my walk on Saturday - after dull last day and a half, the sun came out as I walked onto the platform at Oakworth.

You can read my diary of the walk here:

Please, at the very least, sign the online petition to abolish prescription charges for adult CF sufferers.

Now to find something different for next year!

#6376 - 11/05/07 09:11 AM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
Quote:
Originally posted by tomread:
Five of the hostels in your list closed for good last year, didn't they...?

Most of the doomed hostels were bought and stayed in the YHA as enterprise hostels Byrness is definatly open and fully renovated.(it is now also known as Forest View) WE look forward to welcoming any of you who care to visit either on your epic journey or just for a few days walking away from the daily grind Joyce & Colin Byrness YHA (Forest View)
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#6377 - 11/05/07 09:48 AM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
tomread Offline

Hi Joyce,

I might do the Pennine Way again one day. I could probably end up staying in even more hostels than I did first time around! When originally booking, the YHA told me that Langdon Beck was full and Byrness was closed. It turned out neither was true!

Of the supposedly "closed" hostels, I think that Mankinholes, Earby, Langdon Beck, Alston, Greenhead and Byrness are open as enterprise hostels. I think Keld, Baldersdale and Bellingham are closed?

#6378 - 13/05/07 06:15 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Robbie Offline

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Just to check in an report I've done it! Completed on Saturday (May 12th) after the last 27 miles in cloud so therefore missed most of the Cheviots. Met Iain the first 3 days, great chap. I will report back in a week or so, I'm now off to prepare for a trade show at the NEC, its all I really needed!
PS.
The PW was fantastic!!
Robbie

#6379 - 13/05/07 09:15 PM Re: Pennine Way Itinery and Accommodation
Fellwanderer Offline

By the look of it, Robbie and I must have missed one another somewhere around Malham Cove and Malham Tarn.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917