The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36018 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63993 - 05/02/12 03:44 PM Wholy unsupported crossing.
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Thinking about things and having not yet done with the C2C, I have decided that if I do this again this year, I would like to reverse the route I followed last Easter time.
Starting at St. Bees with again a 5 day schedule in mind, but hoping to make it more like 4 days, carrying everything I need to get across to RHB without making any purchses at all in between.
Any drinks including water will have to come from taps (like the one outside the Lion Inn) streams or by knocking on a door and asking.
This will obviously also include carrying all the snacks, bars and dehydrated food, tea/coffee etc from the start.
Keeping weight down will be a bit of a problem, so will have to go really lean on the rest of my kit.
Just starting into the planning stage at the moment and if it looks feasible, may give it a go in April.
Dave.

#63996 - 05/02/12 08:59 PM Re: Wholy unsupported crossing. [Re: Slogger]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
Hi Dave,
Sounds interesting! Shouldn't think an unsupported trip would be too much of a problem to someone with your experience. 4 days dehyd main meals wouldn't be much weight - would think your main 'food' weight would be in the stove and fuel required and in the daily 'snack' bars etc...snicker types?
With those daily mileages, reckon you'll be burning up more than you're putting in. Could be onto something there - 'Slogger Craig's Guaranteed Weight Loss Programme'
Re' water, (though you already likely appreciate this) I find that as long as I'm aware of the next possible water supply, I can carry far less water as long as I drink to absolute capacity at a source before leaving it.
You'll be coming the definitive expert on the C2C - next it'll be a 5 day blindfold run! smile
Cheers,
Geo.

#63998 - 05/02/12 09:44 PM Re: Wholy unsupported crossing. [Re: Geo]
Slogger Offline

Ha, ha, cheers George,
Yeah I think the main weight WILL be in the amount of cereal bars. Looked at some with high nutritional value but lightweight and they come in at 50gm each. I reckon on 10 per day, boring but certainly would make one look forward to the main meal.
Just had a practice weigh.
With my lightest sac, a Terra Nova and using the foam back system as my sleep mat and my 800gm Terra nova Photon Elite tent (Inc Titanium pegs, making it slightly heavier.
With 1 litre water, waterproofs and everything it all comes in at 8.8 Kilo. Thats a couple of Kilo less than I carried last time.
Of course, just in case anyone is reading this who is doing the route as a walking holiday, this will defo NOT be a holiday, just me attempting to do something faster than I have done before and in a manner that I have previously badly failed at.
One day although Ive said it before, I may get around to walking it as a holiday, however when youve got something you just have to do - youve just got to do it.
Dave.

#63999 - 05/02/12 11:01 PM Re: Wholy unsupported crossing. [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
You are a glutton for punishment,Dave!Seeing it is going to be at Easter how about carrying a heavy wooden cross and wearing a crown of thorns?

#64001 - 06/02/12 09:20 AM Re: Wholy unsupported crossing. [Re: tonyk]
sgtjames Offline

Slogger

You shouldn't really have too many problems given your fitness level. After all you are merely repeating what others do regularly but don't feel the need to tell everyone about.

#64017 - 06/02/12 08:24 PM Re: Wholy unsupported crossing. [Re: sgtjames]
Slogger Offline

Originally Posted By: sgtjames
Slogger

You shouldn't really have too many problems given your fitness level. After all you are merely repeating what others do regularly but don't feel the need to tell everyone about.

Here we go again.
If you don't want to tell others about what you do or want to do and detail it with route description etc, on this walking forum, but instead just tell us how fast you can do it or imagine how fast you can do it, then why even bother posting on here.
Simple answer - just to attempt to wind people up.
Put your ego where your mouth is. You do, as said, the route in 65 hours every year. I am ex forces, show me personally how you do it, or what about walking the route as far as we can get non stop and see who drops out first, or anything similar. Come on, you will surely get the better of me, after all you wouldn't want to be beaten by a pensioner would you, or does the thought of that have you coming up with some excuse!
Dave.

#64021 - 06/02/12 11:18 PM Re: Wholy unsupported crossing. [Re: Geo]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Originally Posted By: Geo
Hi Dave,
Sounds interesting! Shouldn't think an unsupported trip would be too much of a problem to someone with your experience. 4 days dehyd main meals wouldn't be much weight - would think your main 'food' weight would be in the stove and fuel required and in the daily 'snack' bars etc...snicker types?
With those daily mileages, reckon you'll be burning up more than you're putting in. Could be onto something there - 'Slogger Craig's Guaranteed Weight Loss Programme'
Re' water, (though you already likely appreciate this) I find that as long as I'm aware of the next possible water supply, I can carry far less water as long as I drink to absolute capacity at a source before leaving it.
You'll be coming the definitive expert on the C2C - next it'll be a 5 day blindfold run! smile
Cheers,
Geo.

Backwards on his hands, with no kit and a special,bar of soap to wash with for when the mayor of RHB greets him
Yup Mad as hatters.

#64026 - 07/02/12 10:40 AM Re: Wholy unsupported crossing. [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Slogger
Thinking about things and having not yet done with the C2C, I have decided that if I do this again this year, I would like to reverse the route I followed last Easter time.
Starting at St. Bees with again a 5 day schedule in mind, but hoping to make it more like 4 days, carrying everything I need to get across to RHB without making any purchses at all in between.
Any drinks including water will have to come from taps (like the one outside the Lion Inn) streams or by knocking on a door and asking.
This will obviously also include carrying all the snacks, bars and dehydrated food, tea/coffee etc from the start.
Keeping weight down will be a bit of a problem, so will have to go really lean on the rest of my kit.
Just starting into the planning stage at the moment and if it looks feasible, may give it a go in April.
Dave.

To be honest it sounds like an exercise in masochism.These kind of things are hard enough without turning them into an exercise in purgatory through having to eat crap food.A walk of this nature will most likely use five thousands calories a day and its hard to put that back with dehydrated meals and energy bars.As you say it will lead to an increase in weight and that will most likely lead to an increase in blisters.Far better to keep the weight to a minimum,make use of all available resources and go for a faster time.Is it really self sufficient to knock on doors and ask for water?Other than not having to pay it is no different to going into a shop and purchasing a bottle of water.If you want to be fully self sufficient then drink out of streams and hold a tin out when it is raining and catch water.

#64028 - 07/02/12 04:01 PM Re: Wholy unsupported crossing. [Re: tonyk]
sgtjames Offline

Slogger.

I undertake this challenge annually to keep my fitness levels up. This is for my personal benefit and not to please anyone else or to seek the approval of others. I have no interest in whether people believe or disbelieve me. Remember, I have never posted about my exploits as the satisfaction of my achievements is purely mine and I don't feel the need to seek praise. It appears from the above two posts that others are of a similar mind.

Remember too, the shorter the time-scale of the walk the less that has to carry. Eating before you set off, a snack dinner (on the move) and a dehydrated meal when stopping for two days (in our case) and then a final meal from a takeaway at the end doesn't actually require a lot of carrying.

#64029 - 07/02/12 05:36 PM Re: Wholy unsupported crossing. [Re: sgtjames]
Slogger Offline

Tony,
Yeah I guess you are right about the water thing and self suffiency. I just thought about doing this as it is what I attempted to do on my first crossing which due to inexperience carrying too much weight, at the time led to miserable failure. Maybe I will go for a more direct line altogether and try to be faster.
Sgt James,
You wrongly mention about my supposed need to seek praise, so why do I always post about my failures too. I post about my experiences, win or lose, the whole thing. Those that don't want to read, have the choice not to. Being about to laugh at oneself is more important than laughing at others. Don't forget you yourself told us about doing the route in 65 hours and then the walks from RHB to KS and KS to the END, but apart from that very little. It would be a poor forum if all the members did was post their times for completing a route. If you are more of a deeper type of person, then keep everything to yourself if you want to, but don't criticise me or anyone else for sharing our experiences on a forum that is intended, among other things, for that very purpose. Some members have even written excellent books on a particular walk they have completed.
As for the walking, I also do these things to keep my fitness levels up, which is much harder after the age of 60. I am 66 in a couple of months time and the fear is that of I stop doing these extreme things, (I say 'extreme' because they are for me) or have too long a break, then I won't be able do them anymore.
I have tried to get a couple of guys, one 15 years younger than me and the other around my sons age, to have a do at the C2C thing. Both are excellent runners. One who has walked the C2C, doesn't think he could do it in 5 days, no matter how much I tell him he could. The other is in serious training for the Ironman Triathlon and the Bob Graham Round, he would leave me standing, but is hesitant to interrupt his regime. However he said he would attempt a 4 day crossing with me provided I climb the Matterhorn with him in the summer, which is for various reasons unlikely.
I don't wish to continue this 'feud' if you can call it that, any longer, but maybe you can understand my doubts on a 65 hour pure walking crossing, when fully supported experienced Fell Runners carrying absolute zero, take in excess of 60 hours with no sleep time.
The answer has to be in route choice, so how about helping me out here, just a few pointers will do. If you don't want to post them on the open forum then you could PM me.
Then we could talk about how much longer I get, for age!!??
Dave.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917