Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2630
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1462
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8252 Members
17 Forums
3339 Topics
34930 Posts

Max Online: 234 @ 03/05/12 11:34 AM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64027 - 07/02/12 11:01 AM Re: Boots or shoes? [Re: scaredovheights]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
Will be very interested to see how you get on with them, I've always been a boot man but these sound tempting.
Les

#64031 - 07/02/12 05:48 PM Re: Boots or shoes? [Re: scaredovheights]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: scaredovheights
Got my new Hedgehogs, lovely. Do you people treat them with a protector before wearing them and also which protector do you like to use on them ongoing?

I have three pairs on the go at the moment. I have never treated mine with Scotchgard, (I sell it myself) but a light spray should be okay.
Dave.

#64034 - 07/02/12 08:20 PM Re: Boots or shoes? [Re: Slogger]
scaredovheights Offline

Originally Posted By: Slogger

I have three pairs on the go at the moment. I have never treated mine with Scotchgard, (I sell it myself) but a light spray should be okay.
Dave.

Dave
So do you never give them a treatment with something like Nikwax Nubuck and Suede Proof? Do you just wash off mud with no treatment?

#64039 - 08/02/12 11:07 AM Re: Boots or shoes? [Re: loradora]
flatlands Offline

Much as I would like to wear boots for the Coast to Coast walk this May, is that I got a pair of TNF HedgeHogs GTX XCR. A bit pricey, but a renowned brand and rave reviews, I may wear these for the walk. Far lighter than boots.

#64065 - 09/02/12 08:47 PM Re: Boots or shoes? [Re: flatlands]
scaredovheights Offline

Dave,

Can you point me towards Scotchgaurd on the net and do you use it on all your footwear?

#64066 - 09/02/12 10:18 PM Re: Boots or shoes? [Re: scaredovheights]
Slogger Online   content

Dave,

Can you point me towards Scotchgaurd on the net and do you use it on all your footwear?

Basically all Scotchgard is the same, whether for fabric, carpet, clothing or shoes. It is a flurocarbon and comes as a water or solvent based product. The water or solvent is simply the carrier that allows it to be sprayed onto the items in question, which once done, evaporates leaving the flurocarbon shield on the item which is partially absorbed.
This coating can last for up to 3 cleans if using just water. If you clean with a detergent a re-application will be neccesary as most of the flurocarbon will be removed.
When my Hedgehogs get muddy, I remove the footbeds and let them dry thoroughly before giving them a good brushing with a semi stiff brush. This removes most of the soil and usually does me for the next walk. If they get ina right mess after a few walks and the build up is not removed sufficiently with the brush, I run them under the tap and just work the water in with my hands.
I then stuff ball of newspaper into them to retain shape and absorb most of the water, leaving it in for about 24 hours.
Occasionally I have put them in the washing machine as I do with all my running shoes, however I am not sure this is a good idea for GTX lines shoes.
You can get the scotchgard spray from Amazon or most good shoe retailers.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotchgard-Water-Repellent-Shoe-Protector/dp/B005MY4PPK
Dave.
Dave.

#64067 - 09/02/12 10:22 PM Re: Boots or shoes? [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Sorry i didn't answer the question.
No I don't use it on all footwear but it can only be advantageous to do so, however it works best if you apply it before wearing the shoes as it doesn't work as well on cleaned shoes without that initial coating.
Dave.

#64077 - 11/02/12 07:25 AM Re: Boots or shoes? [Re: Slogger]
scaredovheights Offline

Thanks Dave, not a fan of Nikwax then, this seems to be pushed a lot by all the outdoor clothing shops?

#64078 - 11/02/12 03:01 PM Re: Boots or shoes? [Re: scaredovheights]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Why boots or shoes? Why not boots and shoes?
On my 7 day crossing I had road shoes and trail shoes - with conditions being so dire I then added boots at Richmond sending the road shoes home at Reeth (though I could well have 'binned' 'em...)
Last attempt I opted for trail shoes and inexpensive sandals/flipflops(fondly nicknamed 'Nike Air Jerusalems') which were very comfortable on certain sections but unsuitable on others - eg.
good: Ironstone track bed to Clay Bank
bad: Ravenseat - Nine Standards
just a thought...

#64082 - 11/02/12 04:17 PM Re: Boots or shoes? [Re: scaredovheights]
Slogger Online   content

Thanks Dave, not a fan of Nikwax then, this seems to be pushed a lot by all the outdoor clothing shops?

I do use Nikwax on my Leather Boots. After cleaning and drying I rub the Nikwax in with my fingers and give a very generous coating. Keeps them waterproof and looks after the leather.
Dave.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

Copyright The Sherpa Van Project, 29 The Green, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4RG. Tel 0871 5200124 Fax (44) 01748 825561