The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35984 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64094 - 12/02/12 09:04 PM Pontcysyllte Aqueduct
scaredovheights Offline

I have been doing short sections of the Offas Dyke Path in the North Wales area and was hoping over a priod of time to do the whole path. Today I walked from Chirk to Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and as I expected, I could not walk across it. I just know I would of froze half way across. Mad really when old ladies and their dogs were strolling across. Guess I will have to take one of the detours for that small section but disapointing all the same.

#64098 - 13/02/12 09:06 AM Re: Pontcysyllte Aqueduct [Re: scaredovheights]
Calluna Offline

Loc: Wirral
Glad to know there is an alternative route - otherwise I will be swimming across in September!

I get all panicky just looking at the photographs of the aquaduct. I am a wuss eek

#64101 - 13/02/12 05:24 PM Re: Pontcysyllte Aqueduct [Re: Calluna]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
This really is a shame, we never even thought about it when we crossed and stopped halway to take photos of the river below.
You clearly know that the fear is irrational and must be so frustrating.
Could you not position yourself close by and in the middle, slightly behind two others so that the exposure is lessened, and concentrate just on the ground a yard or so ahead.
I do understand, my wife has balance problems.
We were doing a walk alongside a 'Lavada' (narrow water channel) in Madeira several years ago when we came to a section that was like walking along the top of a two foot wide wall. I never thought anything of it and walked the 30 or 40 yards section. As I reached the other side I just heard a big splash and turned round to see my wife sitting facing the other way in the water. She had overbalanced and spun, falling in. Mind , it was good job she fell that side into the water and not down the sheer drop on the other side. Big reminder for me that not everyone is comfortable in such circumstances.
We don't mention the word 'Lavada' since.
Dave.

#64102 - 13/02/12 07:53 PM Re: Pontcysyllte Aqueduct [Re: Calluna]
scaredovheights Offline

Originally Posted By: Calluna
Glad to know there is an alternative route - otherwise I will be swimming across in September!

I get all panicky just looking at the photographs of the aquaduct. I am a wuss eek

Calluna, I think there is a road bridge nearby that crosses the river but I think you may be best to check out how busy/ useable this is.

#64103 - 13/02/12 07:56 PM Re: Pontcysyllte Aqueduct [Re: Slogger]
scaredovheights Offline

Originally Posted By: Slogger
Could you not position yourself close by and in the middle, slightly behind two others so that the exposure is lessened, and concentrate just on the ground a yard or so ahead.

I think that could work Dave, problem would be that I may be on my own. I think I could get so far but I'm afaid I would freeze halfway and panic. There looks to be a bridge nearby so I will admire from below!

#64105 - 13/02/12 08:25 PM Re: Pontcysyllte Aqueduct [Re: scaredovheights]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
Thats a great shame, its a miracle of engineering that old viaduct. Maybe you could catch a lift across off of one of the many boats going across ? Most boaters are very friendly and Im sure they'd help you out, just sit on right side of the boat though as the drop on the off side is much worse as there are no railings. (the above assumes spring/summer of course, not many boats moving just now).

#64175 - 14/02/12 10:43 PM Re: Pontcysyllte Aqueduct [Re: Les + Heidi]
scaredovheights Offline

OMG I could not believe there is no safety rail on the boat side, looks so frightening, but thats how irrational this is, as if the boat would drop out of the water! (but it would in my eyes!!!)

#64216 - 15/02/12 09:07 AM Re: Pontcysyllte Aqueduct [Re: Slogger]
Calluna Offline

Loc: Wirral
I will also be on my own Dave, but to be honest the only way you will get me across it with help; is if I was blindfolded and led across!

I can admire it from below, and yes it is a marvellous bit of engineering. Your poor wife! she was probably frightened of the steep side and overcompensated her balance to the water side.

#64223 - 15/02/12 11:41 AM Re: Pontcysyllte Aqueduct [Re: Calluna]
Slogger Online   content

You are right. Ive taken her on some routes involving close drop offs, exposure and even some easy scrambling, until one day when she mentioned that she had been scared to death on a section near Taylor Gill Force in the Lakes, on the way to Seathwaite from Great Gable.
Although I was 'fielding' her across this section, I realised that if she had slipped, there would be no way that I could have held on to her. That was the last time, a wake up call and wouldn't even dream of leading her on anything the like, since.
Dave.

#70299 - 01/05/12 08:43 AM Re: Pontcysyllte Aqueduct [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Ive been re looking at the routes guidebooks and I note that the way over the aquaduct is an 'alternative' route, not the official one, which does indeed drop down to pass over the road bridge.
Ive been looking at it with a view to wild camping and a fast schedule.
It seems that to camp on sites a lot of off route walking has to be done and wild camping on route is goingh to be more of a problem.
Dave.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917