The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6603 - 05/08/07 11:14 PM we finished
revmary Offline

Loc: Norwich, Vermont, USA
My daughter and I finished the Pennine Way 10 days ago. What a walk! We did it in 16 days. It was a total re-boot for my brain. Met nice folks, including many kind hosts at hostels and B&Bs. (Notable exception: the Greenhead Hotel's management of the Greenhead Hostel. Apparently it is a huge inconvenience for them to offer breakfast to hostelers at the Hotel, so they charge a fortune and are cranky about it.) But all other places had helpful and pleasant hosts.
The last 2 days across the Cheviots were almost euphoric for us.
Thanks to all in this forum for helpful advice.
Where should I walk next? Clearly I am addicted.

#6604 - 06/08/07 07:48 AM Re: we finished
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
I walked the Pennine Way 2 years ago, the C2C last year and the South West Coast Path earlier this year (April/May when the sun was out for most of the time). All three walks were obviously very different but I must say that the Pennine Way is still my favourite. I think that it is the fact that you need to navigate with map and compass rather than the SWCP which only requires you to keep the sea on your right-hand side even though the views are magnificent. I put my compass away the first night and never used it to cover the 630 miles! The C2C was magnificent for views but I didn't feel the remoteness of the Pennine Way.

I know that I haven't answered your question but I guess you need to review why you enjoyed the Pennine Way and then look for something similar.

Anyway, congratulations for completing the Pennine Way. It is a great feeling that is hard to explain to others especially if you have had to 'push' yourself to finish it. I hope that you got your free half pint at the end.
Pennine Way 2005&2014;C2C 2006;SWCP 2007;WHW 2008;GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011;Clev.W 2012;Yorkshire W.W. 2012;Offa's Dyke 2013;Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014;Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015;LEJoG 2018;Camino 2019;2020 NOTHING!2021 Hopefully.

#6605 - 06/08/07 10:48 AM Re: we finished
RooSe Offline

Congratulations to you and your daughter.

Sounds like you realy enjoyed those last two days over the Cheviots,they can be awesome espcialy if the weather is kind to you.

How was the weather by the way ?

If you do feel like you've got the LDW bug then the C2C is proberly going to be your next target, or maybe even the PW going from North to South some time in the future ?

Well done to you both once again, can honestly say to you it's an accomplishment you will never forget for the rest of your life.

#6606 - 06/08/07 01:27 PM Re: we finished
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Well done. I am doing the PW but only in stages over weekends. I am really enjoying it.

How about the Southern Upland Way..212 miles across Scotland, from the west coast to the east, and quite remote in places with few people en route. I loved this walk.

#6607 - 06/08/07 10:45 PM Re: we finished
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Well done!

I agree with Harland about the remoteness of the Pennine Way.Its hard to get the same feeling anywhwere.I distinctly remember Hanna Hauxwell saying the Alps lacked that sense of remoteness she felt in the Pennines.I think it is the sense of solitude that has drawn me back to it time and time again.

There are plenty of other walks you could try.The Dales Way is beautiful and can be comfortably walked in five days.If you want something really tough there is the Cambrian Way in Wales.I keep menaing to walk it but keep putting it off till the next year.May be its got something to do with it being 283 miles long and having twice the ascent of the PW!

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917