Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2631
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1462
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8252 Members
17 Forums
3340 Topics
34937 Posts

Max Online: 234 @ 03/05/12 11:34 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6824 - 24/08/03 07:31 PM A few thoughts for anyone thinking of doing this
Anonymous
Unregistered

My wife and I did this in July 2003, and it is highly recommended. The scenery is not at all unvaried, and although the route is obvious and predictable most of the way this is not to say it is easy. If anything it can be quite dangerous at times!!!

Right then, now the gripes ...

PEMBROKE - don't stop here, as frankly it's a dump. All accomodation appeared quite disgraceful, the place we stopped in beggars belief (e.g. an ants nest next to our bedroom, the world's lumpiest bed etc), and there was nowhere decent to eat in the evening. We have to be honest and say this place should feel nothing but shame. So ...

CUT DOWN THE WALK - get a taxi or some other lift to jump from Milford Haven to Angle. Although you're still in the National Park on this stretch the oil refineries in particular are always there to blight your scenery. The original walk may have omitted this stretch --- for good reason.

GENERALLY - accomodation and eating-out is not the best in the world. Sorry to all you Welsh readers, but your neck of the woods is not renowned for its hospitality, and for good reason.

OTHERWISE do the walk.

It is a close call on the C2C.

#6825 - 06/09/03 08:38 PM Re: A few thoughts for anyone thinking of doing this
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Sounds like a good walk ruined by the Welsh.Always were a funny lot.

#6826 - 20/11/03 07:38 PM Re: A few thoughts for anyone thinking of doing this
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Well that's sh*t my biscuit, I always thought it was a wild remote coastal walk, with cliffs an' stuff like crashing surf, tales of shipwrecks and Dyfed triangles with UFO's emerging from Stack Rocks like No.3 buses.
Tch, them Pembroke folks made it all up.
Just goes to show, tell thi...

#59987 - 21/02/11 07:17 AM Re: A few thoughts for anyone thinking of doing this [Re: lightweightmick]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: lightweightmick
Well that's sh*t my biscuit, I always thought it was a wild remote coastal walk, with cliffs an' stuff like crashing surf, tales of shipwrecks and Dyfed triangles with UFO's emerging from Stack Rocks like No.3 buses.
Tch, them Pembroke folks made it all up.
Just goes to show, tell thi...

Stories about pirates and shipwrecks are subject to many, many myths that now form part of our traditions. There are no records (as opposed to stories about)people walking the plank, lighting fires to attract ships into their clutches etc etc. Quite disappointing really.

Mind you, at Bay there is allegedly a tunnel running from the river outlet up to the top of the bank. So, anyone with energy left after the walk could ........

#59994 - 21/02/11 02:38 PM Re: A few thoughts for anyone thinking of doing this [Re: slowcoach]
tim smith Online   content

Loc: england
there was a true story about English villagers living at Baltimor, Ireland. being taken in to slavery.
the pirates came in the hours of darknes
and took most of the villagers, they would have got more , but a man heard them and fired his musket and beat a marching beat on a tin.

the pirates thought it was the army coming and fled with what they had.

all under cover of darkness

#60113 - 03/03/11 11:55 AM Re: A few thoughts for anyone thinking of doing this [Re: slowcoach]
lightweightmick Offline

Pirates..?

Tony's response always makes me laugh when I visit this thread...

I remember reading a strange tale about the 'Dyfed Enigma' and the strange experiences suffered by a dairy farmer with some supposedly well investigated UFO reports...

#60118 - 03/03/11 09:41 PM Re: A few thoughts for anyone thinking of doing this [Re: lightweightmick]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Don't forget one of the most famous UFO stories occurred on the Moors.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/arou...aucer_1_2460169

http://www.grantham.karoo.net/paul/silpho.html

#67709 - 24/02/12 01:06 PM Re: A few thoughts for anyone thinking of doing this [Re: slowcoach]
lightweightmick Offline

Ever heard anything about the humanoid with red glowing eyes encountered by Lyke Wake Walk finishers near to the fence at Fylingdales early warning station?
I have had a few strange encounters walking at night where I've been left wondering 'did that just happen?' - mind you, I have had some strange encounters in broad daylight too - a murder and suicide, seriously - and then there was that young woman (worse, (or better maybe...) for drink) sporting a strap-on dildo, who requested to have a look at mine, before being reprimanded by her friend - it all happens out there tell thi!

#68949 - 25/02/12 10:27 PM Re: A few thoughts for anyone thinking of doing this [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Bit too early for Cider, Mick.
Or is it never too early?
Dave.

#69488 - 27/02/12 08:36 PM Re: A few thoughts for anyone thinking of doing this [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

I never drink cider out Dave. Orange and soda on route (or tea or coffee) lager on stopping - with a splash of lime if I'm thirsty. Sometimes beer last thing if any good...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

Copyright The Sherpa Van Project, 29 The Green, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4RG. Tel 0871 5200124 Fax (44) 01748 825561