The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2891
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35983 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#67703 - 24/02/12 12:47 PM Rownal or Rownall..?
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
I rarely post outside the c2c thread but it turns out my grandfather on my mother's side came from here. I found this out last year when an Aunt died and I spoke to some relatives after the funeral.
Inspired by the family connection (stifles laugh), this year I've spent hours plotting out the whole route and have had some great evenings viewing the whole route on 'flyby' on Google Earth (ah, were it this simple...)
Looks good... but then I recently discovered that there is a Rownall in Staffordshire... oops... Not so sure which it is with the family connection, though the Powys Rownal is right on the route and quiet close to my mother's birthplace nr Welshpool.
Still OD still looks like a route worth tackling and I have done quite a bit of spadework.
So which way is best S-N or N-S. I was looking at N-S but it looks better on the Northern sections (mind you I have probably spent longer going over the N end on Google)
cheers
lwm

#67986 - 24/02/12 09:12 PM Re: Rownal or Rownall..? [Re: lightweightmick]
Alan F Offline

Loc: Reading
Having done it in 2010,I would say the South to North option is better.That way the last day over the Clwyd hills is excellent,with a high level arrival into Prestatyn,which is much better then the first day out of Chepstow,which I found totally dismal (housing estates,high level woods with no views,and cow fields).
The Pandy to Churchtown section was excellent,as was Pontcysyllte aquaduct to Bodfari,with some dismal stuff in between,although I am a fan of high level ridge walks.
Problems were lack of campsites,especially at start and finish,so you need a list of farms and houses that allow camping,although many of these are not near the essential facilities such as pubs.
Apart from on the Pandy to Hay mountain ridge for day trippers,I did'nt pass many others doing it.
As an overall rating,I'd put it in at number 4 ,below 1.Pennine Way,2.Coast to Coast,3.SW Coast Path, but above 5.North Downs Way and 6.Ridgeway.

#68489 - 25/02/12 10:49 AM Re: Rownal or Rownall..? [Re: Alan F]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Nice one Alan, thanks for that. Looks like a few wild camps will be order then,
cheers
lwm

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917