The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2891
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35982 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#69751 - 20/03/12 12:34 PM Camping in Grassington and Kendal
Tidal Leeds Offline

Hey,

I volunteer for a small Leeds based charity. We are holding a much needed fundraiser in the form of a sponsored walk along the dales way.

There are about 20 people taking part some are camping and others and staying undercover. We have not really had much problem booking hostels, bunk barns and so on but have not been so lucky with camping.

We need somewhere to camp in or near Grassington (Woodnook wonít take us as we are doing over the jubilee holiday) and Kendal (The C+C Club might take us but itís not so cheap, we need to save money).

I have seen a lot of suggestions about camping in farmersí fields if you ask them but we donít really want to turn without camping prearranged because there are so many of us and they are depending on us to be organised!

So Iím basically here to ask for help or any ideas that you guys might have, particularly if you have any numbers or locations of farmers who might be able to take us. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks Ė Guy, from TIDAL Leeds

#69752 - 20/03/12 03:02 PM Re: Camping in Grassington and Kendal [Re: Tidal Leeds]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Sorry I don't have a solution, but have you asked the Dales Way Association people? (see www.dalesway.org.uk). I think they've got the best "handle" on who's who along the route.

There's a bunkhouse at Conistone, just north of Grassington - don't know if there's a camping option there - but I guess you've picked a very busy time for your walk and places will be hard to come by.

Good luck!

#69758 - 20/03/12 07:00 PM Re: Camping in Grassington and Kendal [Re: Stottie]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
A short distance north of the Grassington/Threshfields road junction in the direction of Kettlewell a small lane goes off westwards. This is Skirethorns Lane. There is a camp site at the start of this lane but it is mainly residential caravans and family campers (Wood Nook). However, the owner (at the farm opposite) used to allow camping in a field further up the lane (In fact, a lot further up the lane). This is (or was, the last time I used it with a group of kids)just a field, no loos or washing facilities, and a bowser for fresh water.

Try ..
James Wilson
Bell Bank House,
Skirethorns Lane,
Threshfield,

01756 752321

He may offer useful advice.

#69759 - 20/03/12 07:02 PM Re: Camping in Grassington and Kendal [Re: slowcoach]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Kendal has a Caravanning and Camping club site. Always spotlessly clean and charged per person rather than a fixed site fee. Try them or google their web site for prices.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917