The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1696
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36020 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405950 - 19/09/13 04:07 PM Re: C2C. Fast Light & Direct. [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Originally Posted By: lightweightmick
My revamped schedule puts me at the Lion Inn by midnight on day2...

Just to clarify - my ref is to elapsed time - ie. within 72 hrs, so around 67 - 68 hrs at Lion Inn...
With the best will in the world (and the brightest of moonlight) I can't see me making it under 3 days, though 3+ becomes a possibility...
(the '+' depending on state of legs and feet mainly...)

In fact the more I think about tackling the LWW walk at the end, the less I like the whole idea - at least the SPOT would send an exact location as I disappear into the bog lol

#405951 - 19/09/13 06:16 PM Re: C2C. Fast Light & Direct. [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: lightweightmick
hmm, well, it all looks good on paper lol
It has to be said you had a cracking first day despite the setbacks Dave.

Where I camped before Orton was my target, first stop and I was determined to not stop until I reached it. As I didn't reach there until 4am, I was later starting the second by around 4 hours from what I had planned. As a result I was well short on mileage for day 2.
For your info it took me 76 hrs 40min to reach the turn off before the Lion Inn.
Dave.

#405952 - 19/09/13 09:52 PM Re: C2C. Fast Light & Direct. [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Dave, I fully understand your intentions in wanting get as far as possible on day1, especially in view of your Spine Race target, but in retrospect do you feel that less on day1 would have left you better placed to get more in on day2, thus balancing up the difference maybe?
I know it's all too easy to theorize and speculate after the event though...

#405953 - 19/09/13 11:41 PM Re: C2C. Fast Light & Direct. [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
I think one thing is essential on these sort of walks and that is to keep as near as possible to you normal sleep pattern,at least when you settle down to sleep.Obviously the hours will have to be cut down but the body is used to going to sleep at a certain time and if that is altered it throws the entire system out.

#405955 - 20/09/13 09:23 AM Re: C2C. Fast Light & Direct. [Re: tonyk]
lightweightmick Offline

This may well have helped me this year Tony - 2 good night's sleep - B&B (not planned) and bunkhse. Were it not for the injury slowing me down I'd have caught up at end of day 3. Though I did sleep well on the Klymit at Maggs Howe in tarp/midge tent, I was later getting down, and consequently later starting out on day4. I do think the 2 nights of good sleep helped me catch up though.

#405956 - 20/09/13 11:24 AM Re: C2C. Fast Light & Direct. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

I don't think cutting the first day shorter would nave made any difference. My pace was fairly consistent throughout day one, obviously slower when ploughing through difficult terrain. From second day on, it was affected somewhat due to the change in gait brought on by the blsters and in particular, toe jam. Fatigue only slowed me very briefly on a couple of occasions otherwise my pace was steady.
On that first day I must have lost a 2/3 hours, with the initial problems at/near St. Bees, Red Beck, big nav error and changing route by going down Grisedale.
The extra mileage walking down the road to Muker, the long wait in the very busy pub for me meal etc etc.
You can always look back and find excuses for how if things had gone straight forward, you could have been faster, but the only way to be faster is to get everything right as planned, and that's not always how it goes.
Dave.

#405957 - 20/09/13 11:54 AM Re: C2C. Fast Light & Direct. [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Just purely going on the mileages you did Dave - 53m then 27m when 2*40m would have achieved the same to Gunside - though I appreciate that wasn't planned...
Nothing more frustrating than cracking on then having to wait for food though - that's why I decided to press on from Reeth on last failed attempt. I suppose a good rule for 'fast and light' if relying on pubs etc for food is avoid weekends and holiday periods (ie. you with Bank Hol - me with Reeth on a Saturday night)(afterthought: also at Maggs Howe - I arrived there Friday and the bunk hse was booked by a party otherwise I could have used a bunk and saved time on the tarp/tent setup and strike)
At least you did what you set out to do re the Spine race.
btw - you don't mention the poles in your kit - have you decided against them or will you only use them if snow is forecast for Spine?
cheers

#405959 - 20/09/13 04:31 PM Re: C2C. Fast Light & Direct. [Re: Slogger]
MIKE M Offline

Looking for some advice chaps. After 33or more yrs running & walking I have, for some reason started over pronating. At first i put it down to a pair of Columbia Treklites that i bought, it looked as though the mid-soles had collapsed so changed & tried a pair of Karrimor KSBs after about 200mls they are going same.Any ideas how to self correct (I.E. insoles etc) before spending s on visit to pedo.

#405960 - 20/09/13 08:52 PM Re: C2C. Fast Light & Direct. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Mick,
I understand where you are coming from re 2 x 40 equals the same. However being a bad sleeper anyway, I wasn't tired enough for sleep at 40 miles. Even at the camp spot before Orton, I forced the stop upon myself purely because of what I experienced during the Spine through lack of sleep. That didn't work properly as it was, and I do wonder if it would have been better just to push on until I did feel really tired and maybe had some proper sleep, possibly a really good power nap.
Mike,
Have you tried Superfeet insoles. They give your arch some support and may help. Not cheap though at 30 -40.
Blue ones for running and green for walking, they also orange ones with extra cushioning but they are around 40.
Dave.

#405961 - 20/09/13 10:16 PM Re: C2C. Fast Light & Direct. [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

I suppose it's whatever you find works best Dave... from your earlier blogs and posts you usually go out like a light when your head hits. Is it a temporary situation?

I remember ringing RaceKit enquiring about the Klymit Xlite and Amanda answered the phone (under new ownership now) - she was most insistent that a good night's sleep was more important than anything else - ie. she was trying to put me off - mind you, I find it quite comfy...

Michael Arnstein a USA Ultra runner also swears by plenty of sleep and even advocates wearing a sleep mask - mind you he does live on fruit!
The Fruitarian - here doing 1st Badwater

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917