This, to most of your delight, will be my final post.
Last February I was doing some lop-and-top in one of the dales. A colleague working alongside me cut through a small tree not realising that it was holding a holly branch back. This sprung back and caught me unaware across the face. I was wearing full protective gear so it wasn't a problem, however it did cut me below the eyepiece causing 4 small lacerations.
Three of these healed quickly, however, the fourth, on the chin, wouldn't heal. Despite repeated putting bandages on it it continued to bleed turning into a messy, bloody mass.
Eventually I went to the doctor who referred me straight to casualty. There is was diagnose as a pyrogenic granuloma (no I had never heard of it before).
He rang up the relevant department and they admitted me there and then and within the hour it was removed under local anaesthetic. As always the offending tissue was sent for a check as, although 99% of these are benign, the other 1% can be cancerous.
I was the 1%. I was readmitted for a further excision to remove the surrounding tissue.
There was a 4 week delay until I got results. Whilst it is easy to sympathise with people in this situation, unless you have experienced it I don't think that it is possible to really understand how folks feel. Janice, I really, really do understand your worries now and wish you the best from the bottom of my heart.
Last week I got the all clear. Totally healthy.
I went straight back into work and resigned. Being faced with the frailties of life and ones own mortality I still have too many hills to climb to spend time digging ditches (especially at 65)
I offered to carry on purely during school holidays and odd weekends for holiday cover just on TIC and vehicular patrols (this isn't really work) .... no more manual labour.
So, we are off for 4 weeks holiday next week.
I will still be around when not TIC based but basically just visiting honeypots and advising visitors in the open air. Keep an eye out for me on the C to C.
Enjoy your walking and hope to see you sometime on the hills.