Backpacked the Dales Way 23rd May to the 26th May 2012,weather was great from start to finish.
Day 1.Ilkley to Kettlewell 22 miles. Started at 10am at the Old Bridge in Ilkley on very easy going tracks,had a look round the Priory ruins at Bolton Abbey,then on past the Cavendish Centre through the woods passing the Money Tree`s and onto The Strid.Up through Strid Wood had a look round Barden Tower on through Burnsall reaching Grassington at 5pm.Left Grassington at 5.30pm soon walking over easy going pastureland through and over various stiles crossing the old packhorse road to Cookacre wood where i camped for the night.
Day 2.Kettlewell to Cowgill 23 miles. Started at 5.30am cool and misty,soon making my way through Kettlewell passing the Starbotton path and onto Buckden,had a 40 minute break till the shop opened at 8am.A nice hot pie and stocked up with food and drink and i was soon on my way,passing Hubberholme and Yockenthwaite to Beckermonds where i had refreshments at East Houses b&b which is run by Mary who couldnt do enough for you.Next its Cam Pastures usually the wettest part of the Dales Way but fairly well dried out and onto the Pennine Way.Carried on to Gearstones and a slight variation in the route,i carried on straight down the road to Ribblehead,A couple of pints in the Station Inn,a wander over to the viaduct up to the old Blea Moor signal box,over Blea moor and onto Ewegales campsite at Cowgill.
Day 3.Cowgill to Burneside 27 miles.Started at 4am on easy going tracks to Dent.Pushed on out of Dent along mainly easy riverside paths to Millthrop over the bridge through the woods to Sedbergh,where i had breakfast,stocked up and on my way past Brigflatts,Branthwaite to the bridge at Crook of Lune.under Lowgill Viaduct to Beck Foot,The last house in Beck Foot before you start going through fields is called Half Island House,owned by Gary and Hilary.i got my water bottles filled and a glass of fruit juice.They where telling me they are going to start selling refreshments which will be welcomed as there is nothing between Sedbergh and Burneside.So Good Luck to Gary snd Hilary.On through Patton Bridge to Burneside Hall campsite.
Day 4 Burneside to Bowness 11 miles. Set off at 5am along the river through Bowston to Staveley and into Bowness for 9.45am.
Weathers been great,the whole route is easy to moderate all in all 4 great days walking.thanks for viewing alby
If anybody wants the maps with the route printed on email me and i will send the 10 maps as attachments Good Luck
my email is