The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#70497 - 03/07/12 10:07 PM PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound
Alan F Offline

Loc: Reading
Just finalising preparations for a north to south PW walk,starting Tuesday 17th July,and hopefully camping all the way.
Advance train tickets booked,East Coast Kings Cross to Berwick 23,and home on Wednesday 25th July,Edale to Doncaster,then East Coast Doncaster to Kings Cross 10.
I'm trying to get weight down to a minimum,so everything ready to go in the rucksack has been weighed on the kitchen scales first! Pleased to have got the whole lot down to 4.45kg (9.9lbs),before some food and water to go in.Kit list as follows:
Karrimor Hot Rock 30 litre rucksack,Mountain Whse 1 season sleeping bag (620g),Jack Wolfskin Gossamer tent (1390g),2 Footprint PW maps,Compass,Mobile,Pen,Paper,Money Bag,Helly Hansen thermal top,Shorts,North Face cag,spare inner socks,Complimentary Soap,Toothbrush/paste,Shampoo,Razor,Plasters,Vaseline,Toilet paper,Poly Bags,Disposable Scalpel,Tin Opener,Spork,Plastic Bowl,Powdered Milk,1 litre Water Bottle,plus Bubble wrap sheet to sleep on and double up as thermal vest if cold.
Wearing off the start Grey breathable T-shirt,Black Running bottoms,inner and outer socks,Asics 1150 road shoes,and white peaked cap.
No cooking gear being taken,so cereal breakfasts,plus hot meals in pubs and cafes.Hopefully,I'll do some of the pubs I missed northbound two years ago.
Heading for a lunchtime start off Kirk Yetholm on Tuesday, and aiming for Byrness for the first night.
Anyone heading northbound,please stop for a chat!
Alan

#70501 - 05/07/12 08:38 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Alan F]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Hi Alan,
All the best on your trip.
Looking at your kit list you really are going frugal compared to what I carried and I must admit i felt I was a bit short of some things, however I think that was due to the hot conditiions and everything getting really sweaty.
I too didn't take any cooking kit.
My pack weight was a bit on the heavy side at around 33ish pounds with daily snacks and two litres water, so probably 27lbs without.
You are down to around 10lbs, so what was my extra 17lbs made up of?
Well, this is what I carried in excess of what you list, for example I carried two pairs of shorts in my sac at the start, you are taking only one pair so ive only included my extra pair compared top yours.

3 pair walking socks (Heavy duty)
'T' shirt, for evenings in pub.
Marino mid layer top.
Thermal bottoms for evening in pub.
'U' pants for evening in pub.
pair of shorts.
Windproof top.
waterproof cap.
Buff.
Waterproof Over trousers.
Gaitors.
Walking shoes for in Pub.

Spot device.
Camera.
GPS.
8 sachets H5 Energy Source.
Pkt Chocolate Digestives (Emergency food).

I used everything except the Choc Digestives which I abandoned at Hadrians Wall on the third day.
Dave.
Sun Cream.
Headtorch.
Spare batteries (4 AA)
Sleep Mat.

#70523 - 08/07/12 06:23 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Slogger]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
See you a week Tuesday Alan. Hope it dries out before you start.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#70535 - 11/07/12 08:55 AM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: joyce taylor]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
Hi Alan,
Good luck with the walk, I do hope the recent rains ease up a little for you, I saw a video of the Calder valley underwater again yesterday, apparently the the third flooding in just three weeks. What a mad summer its been. When we did our PW in June the walk through the Calder valley was in blistering heat !

Interesting to read the kit list you have, thats seriously light. Mine ended up mid way between your and Daves at around 18lb+food and water. I could have kicked out another 2 lb reasonably easily but after that I'd have been pushing into my preferred comfort levels !

All the best
Les

#70549 - 15/07/12 06:55 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Les + Heidi]
Alan F Offline

Loc: Reading
With the appalling British summer so far, and this coming week not looking much better,just considering a late change of footwear - to flippers,together with snorkel and wetsuit!
270 miles of bog snorkelling anyone?

#70551 - 16/07/12 10:38 AM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Alan F]
Slogger Offline

That will add some weight Alan!
All the very best for your PW.
Dave.

#70556 - 18/07/12 10:20 AM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Slogger]
joyce taylor Offline

Alan got here last night at 8.50 pretty good going since he was still in KY at 1.00pm. He has kipped down and fuelled up and he is now off to Once Brewed or even Greenhead if he makes good time.

#70557 - 18/07/12 04:12 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: joyce taylor]
Slogger Offline

He's obviously running some, no wonder he travels so light and wears Asics. Be interesting to see if his pace continues. This PW could turn into the next 5/6 day challenge, anyone else up for it?
Dave.

#70558 - 18/07/12 06:47 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
No !!

#70559 - 18/07/12 09:19 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Les + Heidi]
joyce taylor Offline

Most folk would be exhausted by the train journey from Kings Cross to Berwick and then 2 different busses to Kelso and Kirk Yetholm but then to start Running/walking 28 miles beggars belief. He breezed in last night and said is it ok if I put my tent up before dinner.He left this morning fresh as a daisy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917