The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#70560 - 19/07/12 08:18 AM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: joyce taylor]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Alan is obviously up for it. I wish I knew his schedule, must be similar to mine, although I think he was aiming for 8 rather than 9 days. I may try and second guess him and have wander round a Southern section, next week and see if I can come across him.
Dave.

#70561 - 19/07/12 03:54 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
Dave,
I think the pace you dis and Alan is attempting is amazing, far beyond the vast majority of us though. Most walkers consider just finishing the PW a real result, especially if carry your kit and camping. Most of the people we met in June weren't doing the whole walk in one go, they thought we were doing something special doing it in 17 days lol
At the moment I'm unable to walk, damaged my knee on the last few days of the walk and its not getting better fast. Doctor told me not to work (impossible as self employed) and to not even walk the dog !! I have a hospital appointment for x rays tomorrow so am pretty gutted as I wanted to do another LDP later in the 'summer' (?).
Any updates on Alan's progress will be watched with interest from here thats for sure, hope you manage to find him
All the best
Les

#70562 - 19/07/12 05:43 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Les + Heidi]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Most people who manage it in two weeks carrying a tent and other kit are doing very well.Even then the two weeks is mainly down to time constraints and I am sure a lot of people would take longer if it wasn't for the need to return to work.

Twenty two years ago I tried doing it in eight days N-S and got to Malham after six days.I was on course for eight days but suffered a damaged achilles tendon going out of Thornton.At the time I wasn't that fit but had done a N-S a couple of months earlier in 14 days.All I can remember of the N-S walk is the constant days of pushing hard and not stopping once during the day plus the nights in a dark tent due to it being late September.Its not an experience I would want to repeat.

#70564 - 19/07/12 07:53 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: tonyk]
Slogger Offline

I know what you mean Tony, I sure found it tough this time, how much of that was due to heat is hard to tell. I know I couldn't have travelled as light as Alan is and been any near as comfortable. The last three days I wore the same sweaty socks as my others were in an even worse state.
I think, going off his C2C schedule that Alan likes to start later than me, but by running some he still gets the distances in.
I see the entry deadline for the Spine Race has been put back to November and the entry fee has been reduced by around 150..
Les,
Sorry to hear the bad news about your knee. It must be bad to be giving you so much trouble. Makes you wonder as I'm sure you have, just how you damage your knee so much just by walking a bit awkwardly due to blisters. The knee ligaments are so strong it usually requires a sudden strong sideways blow to cause them any damage. Could it be your Patela Tendon or Cartlilage that's to blame?
Dave.

#70568 - 21/07/12 01:27 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

I am guessing Alan will be between Hawes and Malham tomorrow Sunday 22nd.
I am going to drive up to Malham, then run/walk the 15 miles towards Horton, then turn round and the same back Malham.
Hopefully I will come across him.
Dave.

#70569 - 21/07/12 05:14 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Hi Dave
The knee is a mystery to me to be honest. My joints have always creaked and crunch when bending but are normally fine when Ive done plenty of training for these walks and build up some more muscle. It started with swelling just above and on the outside of the knee and just got progressively worse over a few days. I get pain when decending any gradient, twisting produces sharp pain and I sometimes have a jolt and it feels like its giving way (but never has). Awaiting results of x rays but pretty frustrated right now.

Good luck with finding Alan, looks like he may catch some half decent weather although no doubt it pretty boggy in all the usual spots.

#70577 - 22/07/12 07:49 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Les + Heidi]
Slogger Offline

WHERE IS ALAN?

As posted I set off from the car park between Malham Tarn and Water Sinks to see if i could catch up with Alan F.
On an 8 day schedule which he had previously hinted at, I figured he would want to finish the last day at around or just before the time of day he set off from Kirk Yetholm, ie. 1pm.
That would be ideal for the distance from Crowden to Edale, so I calculayed that his overnight would be in:-
1. Byreness
2. Twice Brewed.
3. Alston or Garrigill.
4. Middleton in Teesdale.
5. Hardraw or Hawes.
6. Malham.
7. Colden.
8. Crowden.
Going off my guessing his schedule he would be between Hardraw or Hawes and Malham today.
I walked and ran from Malham Tarn on the route over Fountains Fell and Pen Y Ghent and reached the Horton Cafe in 2hrs 55min for the 12.5 miles. I figured he from a 7am start, as if I remember correctly was his usual start time on the C2C, averaging 3mph, he should arrive at the cafe at around mid day, I was there at 11.20am. he hadn't been on the route up to there from Malham.
I had a bowl of soup and a mug of Tea then hung around outside for a while, checking on everyone with a sac on their back.
I decided to walk up the PW towards Sell Gill Holes. I just strolled taking my time, still no sign, so I carried on to where the 3 Peaks Fell Race Route joins the track, it was now approaching 1.30pm. I looked down the track but could see no sign, so I turned onto the race route heading for Pen Y Ghent once more. Nothing in the distance and all the PW walkers I met on P Y G and right up to Malham Tarn had not seen anyone traveling super lightweight on a tight schedule, during the last couple of days at least. I reached the car after a total of 8 hours - I have not so far for ages.
Conclusion, he had somehow gotten a full day ahead of my calculated schedule and had left Malham this morning heading South, or he was at least half a day behind and possibly arriving in Horton later on today for the night.
Anyway I am well and truly shattered at the moment, I didn't get to meet up with Alan, but I sure got a good work out.
Dave.

#70578 - 22/07/12 07:55 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Typo: $th line up from bottom should be "I have not RUN so far for ages."
Dave.

#70587 - 25/07/12 07:22 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

When is Alan due to finish ? Looking forward to hearing about his journey. Looks like he will be roasting now after the initial drowning !

Dave, sounds like you had a good day out even if it was a blank in terms of meeting Alan.

#70588 - 26/07/12 08:30 AM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Les + Heidi]
Slogger Offline

Looking back at his original post he says he was going for a 7/8 day attempt.
A 7 day success would have him finishing around 1pm on Tuesday and an 8 dayer around the same time yesterday Thursday.
I too look forward very much to hearing how he got on, anything inside of 8 days would be amazing.
I know 7 dayers have been done before, however they were fully supported.
Dave.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917