The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#70497 - 03/07/12 10:07 PM PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound
Alan F Offline

Loc: Reading
Just finalising preparations for a north to south PW walk,starting Tuesday 17th July,and hopefully camping all the way.
Advance train tickets booked,East Coast Kings Cross to Berwick 23,and home on Wednesday 25th July,Edale to Doncaster,then East Coast Doncaster to Kings Cross 10.
I'm trying to get weight down to a minimum,so everything ready to go in the rucksack has been weighed on the kitchen scales first! Pleased to have got the whole lot down to 4.45kg (9.9lbs),before some food and water to go in.Kit list as follows:
Karrimor Hot Rock 30 litre rucksack,Mountain Whse 1 season sleeping bag (620g),Jack Wolfskin Gossamer tent (1390g),2 Footprint PW maps,Compass,Mobile,Pen,Paper,Money Bag,Helly Hansen thermal top,Shorts,North Face cag,spare inner socks,Complimentary Soap,Toothbrush/paste,Shampoo,Razor,Plasters,Vaseline,Toilet paper,Poly Bags,Disposable Scalpel,Tin Opener,Spork,Plastic Bowl,Powdered Milk,1 litre Water Bottle,plus Bubble wrap sheet to sleep on and double up as thermal vest if cold.
Wearing off the start Grey breathable T-shirt,Black Running bottoms,inner and outer socks,Asics 1150 road shoes,and white peaked cap.
No cooking gear being taken,so cereal breakfasts,plus hot meals in pubs and cafes.Hopefully,I'll do some of the pubs I missed northbound two years ago.
Heading for a lunchtime start off Kirk Yetholm on Tuesday, and aiming for Byrness for the first night.
Anyone heading northbound,please stop for a chat!
Alan

#70501 - 05/07/12 08:38 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Alan F]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Hi Alan,
All the best on your trip.
Looking at your kit list you really are going frugal compared to what I carried and I must admit i felt I was a bit short of some things, however I think that was due to the hot conditiions and everything getting really sweaty.
I too didn't take any cooking kit.
My pack weight was a bit on the heavy side at around 33ish pounds with daily snacks and two litres water, so probably 27lbs without.
You are down to around 10lbs, so what was my extra 17lbs made up of?
Well, this is what I carried in excess of what you list, for example I carried two pairs of shorts in my sac at the start, you are taking only one pair so ive only included my extra pair compared top yours.

3 pair walking socks (Heavy duty)
'T' shirt, for evenings in pub.
Marino mid layer top.
Thermal bottoms for evening in pub.
'U' pants for evening in pub.
pair of shorts.
Windproof top.
waterproof cap.
Buff.
Waterproof Over trousers.
Gaitors.
Walking shoes for in Pub.

Spot device.
Camera.
GPS.
8 sachets H5 Energy Source.
Pkt Chocolate Digestives (Emergency food).

I used everything except the Choc Digestives which I abandoned at Hadrians Wall on the third day.
Dave.
Sun Cream.
Headtorch.
Spare batteries (4 AA)
Sleep Mat.

#70523 - 08/07/12 06:23 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Slogger]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
See you a week Tuesday Alan. Hope it dries out before you start.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#70535 - 11/07/12 08:55 AM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: joyce taylor]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
Hi Alan,
Good luck with the walk, I do hope the recent rains ease up a little for you, I saw a video of the Calder valley underwater again yesterday, apparently the the third flooding in just three weeks. What a mad summer its been. When we did our PW in June the walk through the Calder valley was in blistering heat !

Interesting to read the kit list you have, thats seriously light. Mine ended up mid way between your and Daves at around 18lb+food and water. I could have kicked out another 2 lb reasonably easily but after that I'd have been pushing into my preferred comfort levels !

All the best
Les

#70549 - 15/07/12 06:55 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Les + Heidi]
Alan F Offline

With the appalling British summer so far, and this coming week not looking much better,just considering a late change of footwear - to flippers,together with snorkel and wetsuit!
270 miles of bog snorkelling anyone?

#70551 - 16/07/12 10:38 AM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Alan F]
Slogger Offline

That will add some weight Alan!
All the very best for your PW.
Dave.

#70556 - 18/07/12 10:20 AM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Slogger]
joyce taylor Offline

Alan got here last night at 8.50 pretty good going since he was still in KY at 1.00pm. He has kipped down and fuelled up and he is now off to Once Brewed or even Greenhead if he makes good time.

#70557 - 18/07/12 04:12 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: joyce taylor]
Slogger Offline

He's obviously running some, no wonder he travels so light and wears Asics. Be interesting to see if his pace continues. This PW could turn into the next 5/6 day challenge, anyone else up for it?
Dave.

#70558 - 18/07/12 06:47 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

No !!

#70559 - 18/07/12 09:19 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Les + Heidi]
joyce taylor Offline

Most folk would be exhausted by the train journey from Kings Cross to Berwick and then 2 different busses to Kelso and Kirk Yetholm but then to start Running/walking 28 miles beggars belief. He breezed in last night and said is it ok if I put my tent up before dinner.He left this morning fresh as a daisy.

#70560 - 19/07/12 08:18 AM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: joyce taylor]
Slogger Offline

Alan is obviously up for it. I wish I knew his schedule, must be similar to mine, although I think he was aiming for 8 rather than 9 days. I may try and second guess him and have wander round a Southern section, next week and see if I can come across him.
Dave.

#70561 - 19/07/12 03:54 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Dave,
I think the pace you dis and Alan is attempting is amazing, far beyond the vast majority of us though. Most walkers consider just finishing the PW a real result, especially if carry your kit and camping. Most of the people we met in June weren't doing the whole walk in one go, they thought we were doing something special doing it in 17 days lol
At the moment I'm unable to walk, damaged my knee on the last few days of the walk and its not getting better fast. Doctor told me not to work (impossible as self employed) and to not even walk the dog !! I have a hospital appointment for x rays tomorrow so am pretty gutted as I wanted to do another LDP later in the 'summer' (?).
Any updates on Alan's progress will be watched with interest from here thats for sure, hope you manage to find him
All the best
Les

#70562 - 19/07/12 05:43 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Les + Heidi]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Most people who manage it in two weeks carrying a tent and other kit are doing very well.Even then the two weeks is mainly down to time constraints and I am sure a lot of people would take longer if it wasn't for the need to return to work.

Twenty two years ago I tried doing it in eight days N-S and got to Malham after six days.I was on course for eight days but suffered a damaged achilles tendon going out of Thornton.At the time I wasn't that fit but had done a N-S a couple of months earlier in 14 days.All I can remember of the N-S walk is the constant days of pushing hard and not stopping once during the day plus the nights in a dark tent due to it being late September.Its not an experience I would want to repeat.

#70564 - 19/07/12 07:53 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: tonyk]
Slogger Offline

I know what you mean Tony, I sure found it tough this time, how much of that was due to heat is hard to tell. I know I couldn't have travelled as light as Alan is and been any near as comfortable. The last three days I wore the same sweaty socks as my others were in an even worse state.
I think, going off his C2C schedule that Alan likes to start later than me, but by running some he still gets the distances in.
I see the entry deadline for the Spine Race has been put back to November and the entry fee has been reduced by around 150..
Les,
Sorry to hear the bad news about your knee. It must be bad to be giving you so much trouble. Makes you wonder as I'm sure you have, just how you damage your knee so much just by walking a bit awkwardly due to blisters. The knee ligaments are so strong it usually requires a sudden strong sideways blow to cause them any damage. Could it be your Patela Tendon or Cartlilage that's to blame?
Dave.

#70568 - 21/07/12 01:27 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

I am guessing Alan will be between Hawes and Malham tomorrow Sunday 22nd.
I am going to drive up to Malham, then run/walk the 15 miles towards Horton, then turn round and the same back Malham.
Hopefully I will come across him.
Dave.

#70569 - 21/07/12 05:14 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Hi Dave
The knee is a mystery to me to be honest. My joints have always creaked and crunch when bending but are normally fine when Ive done plenty of training for these walks and build up some more muscle. It started with swelling just above and on the outside of the knee and just got progressively worse over a few days. I get pain when decending any gradient, twisting produces sharp pain and I sometimes have a jolt and it feels like its giving way (but never has). Awaiting results of x rays but pretty frustrated right now.

Good luck with finding Alan, looks like he may catch some half decent weather although no doubt it pretty boggy in all the usual spots.

#70577 - 22/07/12 07:49 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Les + Heidi]
Slogger Offline

WHERE IS ALAN?

As posted I set off from the car park between Malham Tarn and Water Sinks to see if i could catch up with Alan F.
On an 8 day schedule which he had previously hinted at, I figured he would want to finish the last day at around or just before the time of day he set off from Kirk Yetholm, ie. 1pm.
That would be ideal for the distance from Crowden to Edale, so I calculayed that his overnight would be in:-
1. Byreness
2. Twice Brewed.
3. Alston or Garrigill.
4. Middleton in Teesdale.
5. Hardraw or Hawes.
6. Malham.
7. Colden.
8. Crowden.
Going off my guessing his schedule he would be between Hardraw or Hawes and Malham today.
I walked and ran from Malham Tarn on the route over Fountains Fell and Pen Y Ghent and reached the Horton Cafe in 2hrs 55min for the 12.5 miles. I figured he from a 7am start, as if I remember correctly was his usual start time on the C2C, averaging 3mph, he should arrive at the cafe at around mid day, I was there at 11.20am. he hadn't been on the route up to there from Malham.
I had a bowl of soup and a mug of Tea then hung around outside for a while, checking on everyone with a sac on their back.
I decided to walk up the PW towards Sell Gill Holes. I just strolled taking my time, still no sign, so I carried on to where the 3 Peaks Fell Race Route joins the track, it was now approaching 1.30pm. I looked down the track but could see no sign, so I turned onto the race route heading for Pen Y Ghent once more. Nothing in the distance and all the PW walkers I met on P Y G and right up to Malham Tarn had not seen anyone traveling super lightweight on a tight schedule, during the last couple of days at least. I reached the car after a total of 8 hours - I have not so far for ages.
Conclusion, he had somehow gotten a full day ahead of my calculated schedule and had left Malham this morning heading South, or he was at least half a day behind and possibly arriving in Horton later on today for the night.
Anyway I am well and truly shattered at the moment, I didn't get to meet up with Alan, but I sure got a good work out.
Dave.

#70578 - 22/07/12 07:55 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Typo: $th line up from bottom should be "I have not RUN so far for ages."
Dave.

#70587 - 25/07/12 07:22 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

When is Alan due to finish ? Looking forward to hearing about his journey. Looks like he will be roasting now after the initial drowning !

Dave, sounds like you had a good day out even if it was a blank in terms of meeting Alan.

#70588 - 26/07/12 08:30 AM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Les + Heidi]
Slogger Offline

Looking back at his original post he says he was going for a 7/8 day attempt.
A 7 day success would have him finishing around 1pm on Tuesday and an 8 dayer around the same time yesterday Thursday.
I too look forward very much to hearing how he got on, anything inside of 8 days would be amazing.
I know 7 dayers have been done before, however they were fully supported.
Dave.

#70593 - 27/07/12 06:41 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Slogger]
Alan F Offline

Thanks each for your interest!
Slogger,I never got to meet you as I went down with illness at Keld on Saturday afternoon (the stomach diarrhoaa and sickness bug that has hit a number of other people on the PW recently).
Despite the extremely waterlogged ground conditions of some sections,it had been going pretty well up until then, and I was still on schedule.
As I was expecting some pretty wet conditions,I'd amended the schedule by using the one spare day I had,to make it a sub-8 day trip,rather than a sub-7 day,as I originally thought may be possible.
Saturday afternoon was a nice sunny day,but I began to lose body heat coming from Tan Hill down to Keld. I was wrapped up in cag and thermal, whilst others were walking in T-shirts.I felt more and more exhausted, so stopped in the cafe at Keld for food and drink.Felt worse, so decided to camp there the night. By the time I was putting the tent up, I was shivering uncontrollably,so it was straight in the sleeping bag by 6pm.The next day,Sunday I spent most of the day in bed in the tent (the ground got very hard by then), and struggling to walk (frequently) to the toilet.Monday I was still very weak, so just a few hundred yards were tiring me out,but packed up and got the bus to Hawes,as I was incapable of doing any more miles, and the schedule was lost anyway.I camped at Hawes then came home Wednesday after doing a few tourist bits in the Dales.
Very disappointed to have had to give up when on schedule, and 150 miles already on the clock.I know some of the other northbound PW'ers having the same bug, have had to rest up for a couple of days.
If any of the mere 9 or so PW'ers that passed me northbound from the 17th to the 22nd are reading this, you certainly deserve medals for completing and wading through 10 plus days of rain that you had.
I'll write up some more detail soon of the first 5 days.
Alan

#70594 - 27/07/12 07:15 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Alan F]
Sentinel Offline

I know of a number of people who have suffered from a D+V bug after staying at Tan Hill. The ducks and geese in the pub may seem quaint, but it is also a health hazard.

Do you think it could be connected to Tan Hill?

#70595 - 27/07/12 07:38 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Sentinel]
Alan F Offline

I had'nt had any other close human contact for the previous 60 hours.I had camped on Thursday night by the river at Garrigill, and at Middleton on Friday night,and did'nt stop at Tan Hill. Both had extreme swarms of midges/mosquitos buzzing around,presumably after the waterlogged conditions. These never normally bite me at all (must have bad blood!), but I have been covered in bite scars all over my lower arms and legs like never before.So, that's number one potential cause from my viewpoint.

#70596 - 27/07/12 07:57 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Alan F]
sussamb Offline

Loc: Sussex
Sorry to hear of your problems. I stayed at Tan Hill inn during my walk in June, no problems with D&V so don't believe anyone should be blaming Tan Hill.

#70598 - 28/07/12 12:05 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: sussamb]
Slogger Offline

Tough luck Alan, after such a good start too. Would you attempt it again?
Dave.

#70599 - 28/07/12 12:05 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: sussamb]
Les + Heidi Offline

Hi Alan,
So sorry to hear that your walk ended like that, I know from personal experience what its like to get those symptoms and have to call it a day. Very frustrating for you I'm sure.
Two years ago I got I'll in Dufton and had to stop in Twice Brewed as I was so weak, turned out to be a nasty bug called campylobactor and needed antibiotics to clear it.
BTW...Not saying you had the same but it normally takes 2-5 days to get really ill after ingesting that bug !
Les

#70600 - 28/07/12 04:10 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Les + Heidi]
joyce taylor Offline

I reckon it was a bug that was passed from person to person and as walkers are such a friendly lot the N-Sers stop and chat to the S-Ners and so it passes up and down then back again.It has been very bad this year loads of people have been using taxi`s to go to the next night`s B&B as they haven`t had the energy even for the busses. We have been asking people where they got ill and it has varied hugely so it`s not any one location it is just people staying in 16 locations chatting and socialising and because the weather has been so bad they are generally exhaused anyway so they have less chance of fighting off a bug that probably wouldn`t bother them normally. It sems to have run it`s course(touch wood) as no-one has mentioned it for the last 3 or 4 days.

#70601 - 28/07/12 05:15 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: joyce taylor]
Sentinel Offline

I stand corrected on the Tan Hill comment then.

I gave up on the Southern Upland Way in March due to heat exhaustion - I wasn't expecting that!

#70603 - 29/07/12 11:57 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Sentinel]
Howie Offline

Loc: Cumbria
So sorry to hear about your illness on your recent Pennine Way jaunt, but what is it about the Pennine Way and the sickness and diarrohea bug, when I done it in 2007 one of my companions went down with the same bug between Keld and Bowes and had to miss the next two days walking to Langdon Beck, he tried the section between Langdon Beck and Dufton but was struggling towards the end of the day as he felt so weak and had to miss the next four days walking before rejoining us at Bellingham to finish the walk.

#70624 - 01/08/12 12:48 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Howie]
Alan F Offline

Just a few notes on my abortive trip.
I set off somewhat apprehensively from Kirk Yetholm at 1.00pm on Tuesday 17th, and with a forecast of 4 days rain ahead,after the wettest early summer in history, it looked like a survival course to start with.
Briilint first 4 hours along the Cheviots ridge (one of the the best long high level ridge routes in England),weather staying dry with fine views over the Southern Uplands and the North Sea coast,and the ground conditions were reasonable.After Windy Gyle at 5.00pm,the flagstones disappeared,the rain and mist started to set in and most of the path was a soggy four inch deep mush.I'm a great lover of porridge,but for breakfast,rather than walkng through it for hours.Four times I carried on jogging,but one of my shoes did'nt! In the rain and mist I missed the right fork off the hill before Byrness, so added a bit more distance, coming in off the military road,and arriving at Forest View at 20.50, for a warm welcome from Joyce and Colin,and a great evening meal. 27 miles 7hr35min 3.55mph

Wed 18th July. Heavy overnight rain,drizzle morning,dry,then
rain turning torrential by early evening and all night.
A late start at 9.00am after an excellent Forest View breakfast, and drying out my camping gear.Fast journey through the forest, bypassing the Padon Hill section after bad reports,but Whitley Pikeand Deer Play no better,flagstones under 9 inches of water,and much wading. Got into Bellingham at 1.30pm for a food restock,then the whole section all the way to Hadrians Wall in the afternoon and evening was just horrendous,open moorland mostly 6 inch deep mush,and frequent wading up to a foot deep,where even flagstones were so deep down they were hard to see,and made harder still when the rain set in.Slightly better along the wall, and arrived at the Once Brewed camp site at 7.50pm.Got the tent up, and was intending to go to the pub, but the rain just got heavier and heavier,so never left the tent. 31.5 miles 9hour 55min 3.17mph

Thurs 19th July.Cloudy Showery,Heavy rain showers in evening
Woke up to see the camp field looking like a paddy field. Luckily they have a drying room on site here,which I used whilst I had some extra breakfast in their site cafe,so left at 9.00am.All ground along the wall pretty mushy.I was expecting it to be appalling south of Greenhead and it was.Continually walking through 4 inch deep mush, with frequent wading to a foot deep.By Slaggyford I defaulted to the old railway track, but that was flooded for a good half mile-more wading! A good feed up at the Alston Chip shop,and food restock. then a soggy walk up the flooded Tyne river bank before wild camping by the river half a mile short of Garrigill. 28.5 miles 10hrs 20min 2.76mph
Friday 20th July Dry Cloudy,some showers(better than forecast!).Off at 7.10am and a dry start on a dry path up Cross Fell,for great clear views today from the top.Cross Fell to Knock Fell very mushy and wet,more wading needed! I cut across above Dufton to save some reascent,but not a good idea as very slow, boggy and had to negociate a couple of steep cross valleys,so not adviseable in retrospect.Stopped for a late lunch on High Cup Nick with its great views.Cauldron Snout,High Force and Low Force impressive as they were all in spate.Falcon Clints prove to be an interesting flooded obstacle course. Finished up with a jog down Teesdale and into Middleton camp site at 20.50,then off to the Co-op there for a restock. The Co-op's at Bellingham,Alston,Middleton,and Gargrave are all open until 10pm weekdays. 35 miles 12hour 50min 2.77mph.
Saturday 21st July.Dry Sunny.Windy,a nice day at last
Off at 07.15am,path over Harter Fell a bit soggy,but then it deteriorated badly,and Lunedale all the way to Tan Hill was just a boggy,flooded mess.Like the stretch to the Wall,I just gave up trying to circuit around the worst parts, and just waded in a straight line for hours on end.After Gods Bridge, I saw what looked like a coach party ahead, which turned out to be the Pennine Way Association Chairman leading a group on a day walk.I could'nt think of a worse part of the route as an introduction! As written up before, after passing Tan Hill at 2.20pm,I just fell ill and stopped at Keld after 21 miles 8 hour 15min,just 2.5mph.
Looking back to my 2010 walk north (after a long dry spell),one can see the effect the waterlogged route has on times:
2010 Tan Hill-Baldersdale (Dry conditions) 3 hours 30min
2012 Baldersdale - Tan Hill (Waterlogged state) 4 hours 35min.
Will I try again after this failure? As at last Tuesday, I never wanted to see the PW again, but that's altered now to a view of unfinished business. So,yes,I will try again,but I will only do it all after a long dry spell, where you can skip over the peat quickly and easily,and also try for something a fair bit quicker. The days get too short after late August, so it will have to wait until early summer next year.
For all those that have completed over the last two weeks, a big well done,not only for getting through a real tough challenge,but where the path conditions are actually the major problem rather than the daily weather.

#70625 - 01/08/12 02:21 PM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Alan F]
Slogger Offline

Not the best of conditions then Alan. Sounds a bit like what I had on my first S - N trip.
I also see that you too opted for the railway into Alston and the direct line, avoiding Dufton, as I did.
I am considering entering the Spine race over the normal route in January, if I can manage to get a lot more running in between now and then. Just done a trial weight measure of the compulsary kit and it comes in at 6.5 kg. That's very light for me but includes cooking gear and spare gas, two days food, tent etc, but does not include water.
Anyway sorry your plan didn't work out, but it can't get that bad next time, can it!?
Dave.

#70627 - 02/08/12 10:44 AM Re: PW starting Tuesday 17 July Southbound [Re: Slogger]
joyce taylor Offline

As slogger says anything has to be better than the conditions this time.The Cheviot section is drying out slowly and times are getting back to normal Byrness hill is still heavy going but then it is even in a good summer. See you when you get your sunny spell. joyce
P.S. Thanks for the lovely review.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917