The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#71839 - 25/10/12 07:34 PM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Take no notice of the photo date it is wrong, as you can probably guess by everyones attire!
Dave

#71842 - 25/10/12 08:03 PM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
My mistake,Dave.Tom Benson broke Crawshaw's record which had been set in Liverpool,rather than Preston.

From Wiki "In 1977 Tom Benson broke the world long distance walking record by walking 314.33 miles round Moor Park. A stone recording his achievement can be seen near the Garstang Road entrance to the Avenue."

This link is interesting.It is a research study carried out on Benson during his third record breaking walk.It seems to confirm my theory that the body starts to break down due to lack of sleep after the third day.

http://bjsportmed.com/content/18/3/173.full.pdf

#71843 - 25/10/12 08:06 PM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: tonyk]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK

#71919 - 26/10/12 11:23 AM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: tonyk]
Slogger Offline

Cheers Tony, that's it then, I'll just have to average slightly less than 90 miles a day, before I fall asleep on my feet.
Dave.

#72474 - 29/10/12 06:01 AM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: Slogger]
MIKE M Offline

Tony, no I was involved in the organization, lap scoring, feeding etc,several local running clubs chipped in to help.
MIKE M

#77239 - 03/11/12 04:28 PM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: MIKE M]
Slogger Offline

After at first declining the Spine teams offer of a training weekend, included in the cost of main race entry, I have decided to attend.
So, next weekend from Friday to Sunday there will be a series of lectures, re: night navigation, survival etc, then an ultra race around 40 odd miles of the Mary Townley Loop of the Pennine Bridleway.
This gives us a chance to check out our planned equipment, footwear, clothing etc, so should be good.
As for footwear, Ive just purchased a pair of Hoka shoes. Complete new technology, strange looking things that remind me of a Teddy Boys trainer with the wedge heels.
http://www.carterse.com/default.asp?id=2165
Lots of fell and ultra runners are raving about them, time will tell.
Dave.

#77241 - 11/11/12 01:00 PM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Just got back from the training event which was excellent and very informaative. Included was a series of lectures on survival, medical, navigation etc on Friday, followed by a similated race along a slightly extended Mary Townley Loop of the Pennine Bridleway on Saturday.
I started well, running with almost 10kg on my back and kept up with last years race leader for around 8 miles before dropping off that pace and joining another group. The expected inner thigh cramp set in and I dropped back to another following group, before I had to let them go. Finally just before last light I teamed up with an army guy and we decided to stay together for the last 10 miles or so. Finding the event facitly was time consuming at the end, but we managed it just as we getting quite cold.
Two didn't finish due to tiredness and injury, and two guys who overtook us early and fired off into the distance, completly blew up and had to call for transport back to the centre.
We got round the very soggy 47 miles in just under 14 hours.
Dave.

#77243 - 12/11/12 09:01 PM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
Nice one Dave, how did those new running shoes go ?
Have just been reading the blog of the guy that won the race last year, great stuff. I noted that only 17 entered last year and you mentioned 40 odd this time. Look forward to hearing how your trainings going mate
Les

#77244 - 13/11/12 03:26 PM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: Les + Heidi]
Slogger Offline

Cheers Les,
Re the new shoes, they defo have a different feel, however I wore my trusty NF Hegehogs with Sorbothane double strike insoles. A little heavy for running and I think I suffered as a result. Maybe start off the race in lighter shoes for the first/second legs, depending on the weather, or simply decide to stay on a mostly strong walking pace.
Last years winner Gary Morrison beat us by almost 3 hours, then served us our meal which his wife Vicky had cooked. Great camararderie and spirit all round.
The feeling is that this event will grow and grow year on year.
Now for some training - just how do you run with 10 kg on your back!?
Dave.

#77265 - 26/11/12 07:13 PM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Did a very wet and boggy 17 miler yesterday carrying around 12kg and walking as fast as I could.
Two thirds of the route was through sodden cattle trodden fields and was hard going slippind and sliding along. I had to alter course as a major route stile over a fence was submerged in the midst of a huge pond.
By halfway my legs felt as though they had done 30 mile not just over 8.
Anyway arrived home with wet feet and wet everything else.
The good news is that since the end of September I have lost and managing to keep it off, 11lbs. It must be more than 15 years since I was this weight and my running, such as it is improving as a result.
Not that long to go now. I may try and get a 40 miler in before mid December, after that it will be too late as I reckon on a month for full recovery.
Dave.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917