The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77419 - 11/02/13 10:29 AM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Here you go Dave,your next challenge!Should fit in nicely as its in July and the entry fee is a very reasonable 125.

http://www.tra-uk.org/thames-ring

#77420 - 11/02/13 01:55 PM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: tonyk]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: tonyk
Here you go Dave,your next challenge!Should fit in nicely as its in July and the entry fee is a very reasonable 125.
http://www.tra-uk.org/thames-ring

That looks interesting, but I probably couldn't afford the time.
I see you read Bell Cremins blog of the Spine. A very detailed account and is interesting to read another persons perspective of events.
Of course she told it as she saw it and that's perfectly ok, however some things were different from mine.
The part where Brian and herself caught up with me near Keld.
She assumed that I had left some small stile gates open, when in fact they were already open when I reached them and left them so, as in following the country code of 'leaving as you find'.
She says they found me asleep, I wasn't and had only been sat there a couple of minutes before they arrived.
She says my rucksack was open at the back, it's a top loader, but I had failed to close the clasp on the stretch outer back pocket, something I do have ahabit of forgetting.
She says my boot laces were undone, they weren't, there was just a lot of lace, doubled over and over, as I had tied them off at shoe level.
She says I freaked her out by running off at times, whereas I was merely trying to keep up with her in the lead. She was moving swiftly, far too fast for me and kept opening up a bit of a gap. With Brian behind, I kept running to catch her up. On the couple of occasions when she did pause I carried on at a fast run/walk knowing that they would soon catch me up.
I never did get a signal to call HQ as she said I had, that's why I had decided to go on to Tan Hill in the hope of getting one there and maybe pitch up for a few hours.
It just highlights how two accounts of the same event can differ in many ways.
Dave.

#77423 - 11/02/13 08:36 PM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Yes,I was a little surprised by her comments but that is how she must have *remembered* it.Sleep deprivation does have a habit of distorting both perception and memory.The stile gates on that section are always left open due to the volume of walkers.Even the locals leave them open.The fact that you reached CP3 safely would indicate that you were still thinking in a logical manner,albeit far more slowly than normaly.You must have lost a pole on that section as you had two on the Cam High road but in the photos at high Cup you only have one.I think the cold played a very big part in poor motor coordination as sleep deprivation over three days in more temperate weather dosen't usually cause those sort of problems.All I experienced was some hallucinations which are very common and constantly drifting in and out of sleep but my memory was clear and I was aware of where I was and what I was suppose to be doing.The Spine was a combination of sleep deprivation and the onset of hypothermia,a really horrible combination.

#77431 - 12/02/13 04:41 PM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
My lega were fine and I was never cold at any time during the event, thanks to my Buffalo and Goretex combination, apart from my fingers at times.
The hallucinations defo due to sleep deprivation.
The incidents where I found myself waking up whilst still standing, on reflection, I am sure I have the answer to that.
Years ago when on overnight non stoppers, I developed a stratergy of dealing with those heavy eyelid times.
I would wait until on a fairly safe flat area and walk with my eyes shut for a count of between 10 and 20, then I would briefly open them to check it was still safe and repeat the action. I would do this for around 20 miutes, after which I would come out of that tiredness for the rest of the day.
During that first half of the Spine I am sure I was doing this, but on the 3rd night and 4th day being that extra tired, I must have actually momentarily fallen asleep, then awoken a couple of seconds later, whilst still standing.
I'll get it right next year if I can find a way of just getting to sleep. The thing is on reaching those first 2 CPs I didn't even feel tired enough for sleep and didn't see the point in hanging around, so carried on. I'll have to get some super-duper ear defenders or something.
Are things going as planned with yourself Tony?
Dave.

#77434 - 12/02/13 08:36 PM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Quote:
Are things going as planned with yourself Tony?

Still training.I am taking things a week at a time and will only be confident I can manage it if I can do two 45 milers back to back without any problem.Once I can do that it just a matter of waiting for a good slot weather wise and then going for it.

#78199 - 23/02/13 12:20 PM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Somehow I missed this post Dave... apologies!
Re the Spine - my day job is challenging enough in January! Not sure I'd want to invest that kind of money on what is basically a National trail allbeit organised and supported, probably go for some lighter gear instead maybe.
The cider seems to be taking up more time every year and I've still got a lot of racking/bottling to do this year yet and before you know it apples are back on the trees... even as a hobby still it's most time-consuming
It would be a shame not to put that new route to the test though wouldn't it..? I'm building up again this year - I got quite fit last year but only ended up doing a local Ultra (only a 30 miler at that)
Trying to get the wind back in the sails at least,
cheers
mick

#78271 - 25/02/13 11:04 AM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

LWM wrote
Quote:
Not sure I'd want to invest that kind of money on what is basically a National trail allbeit organised and supported

This is one of the problems.Whatever name you want to use it is still the Pennine Way.A far better route would have been the Pennine Watershed,a 200 mile route that is more diffcult than the Pennine Way and runs from Edale to Midgeholme.A non-desript finishing point most certainly but that could have been rectified by having the finish at Thirlwall Castle which is a few miles further on.It would have been a route that stuck to all the high ground and the name Spine would have been appropriate.

#78274 - 25/02/13 12:44 PM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: tonyk]
lightweightmick Offline

Unfortunately, also very sensitive to erosion Tony...

http://www.andrewbibby.com/misc/backbone.html http://www.andrewbibby.com/misc/backbone.html

Grough review

...must admit I'd be tempted to want to follow the original route (not in January though!) - which could result in disqualification on such an organised event.

#78275 - 25/02/13 01:01 PM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

should have said 'ecologically sensitive'...

#78330 - 26/02/13 11:29 AM Re: The Spine Race? [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Quite true,Mick,especially Upper Teesdale.The main problem as the article says is getting permission to cross the Warcop firing range.I tried to get permission myself but the slot I was offered (mid-November!) wasn't really practical.Looking at the map it is possible to make a detour around the firng range but this would mean missing out Murton Fell and Mickle Fell.

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917