The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2891
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35983 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77827 - 18/02/13 12:13 AM Food and campsites
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
Hi, I live in New Zealand and am trying to put together some sort of schedule for the All Wales Coastal Path - north to south 'cause I figure that will be downhill. wink
I'll be starting probably late June/early July. I'll be mainly using my tent with maybe once a week or so in a B&B or maybe YHA. I have the route from the AWCP website but not being familiar with the areas I'm unsure of what the path contains in the way of facilities etc. Planning food stops, camp spots etc is necessary and as the Pembrokeshire path is part of the Wales Coastal Path maybe some of you who have done the Pembroke section could have an answer...
On the Pembrokeshire coastal path...

1. What is the distance between locations where food can be obtained and the names of these locations?
2. Which areas is it possible to 'wild camp' and what is the distance between these areas?
3. Are there any designated camp grounds to pitch a tent and where?
4. Are there any B&B's/YHA's and where?

Thanks for any advice,
Cheers, George smile

#77916 - 19/02/13 12:02 PM Re: Food and campsites [Re: Geo]
rogere Offline

Loc: UK
Geo

Too much to cover there, you need a guide book!!

This site will help for the Pembrokeshire bit:

http://nt.pcnpa.org.uk/website/sitefiles/nt_page.asp?PageID=2

If you Google the Welsh Coast Path you will eventaully find all you need.

This site covers it all, with PDF maps to download for every section:

http://www.ccgc.gov.uk/enjoying-the-country/wales-coast-path.aspx

#77917 - 19/02/13 12:09 PM Re: Food and campsites [Re: Geo]
rogere Offline

Geo

This seems to be an official site too:

http://www.walescoastpath.gov.uk/default.aspx?lang=en

#78017 - 20/02/13 08:39 PM Re: Food and campsites [Re: rogere]
Geo Offline

Thanks for the links Rogere. Particularly the 'official' site. I'd actually checked out that site before, but checking it again through your link I found that they had since added info about distances between 200 named locations along the trail which will be very handy in sorting out daily targets. From those named locations I should also be able to poke around on the 'net and hopefully find what they have there as far as food etc. Because the AWCP is so new there doesn't seem to be an exclusive guide book for it - could get guides on the multiple sections I guess, but that would end up bulky and probably with a lot of info' not necessarily needed. (and probably costly!)
Always good to get first hand opinions/experiences from those who have been there and had feet on the ground though. Sometimes it's the case that 'official' sites don't always mention spots where it's possible to pitch a tent or spots to avoid!
Cheers,
George

#78019 - 20/02/13 08:54 PM Re: Food and campsites [Re: Geo]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
I've just had a look at John Merrill's "Turn right at Land's End" the account of when he walked the entire coastline of Britain including climbing the highest peaks in England, Wales & Scotland. Whilst there isn't too much detail of where he stayed overnight he didn't appear to have much trouble in either wild camping of cheap B&B along the Welsh coast when the weather was appalling.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#78021 - 20/02/13 09:23 PM Re: Food and campsites [Re: Harland]
Geo Offline

Originally Posted By: Harland
Whilst there isn't too much detail of where he stayed overnight he didn't appear to have much trouble in either wild camping of cheap B&B along the Welsh coast when the weather was appalling.

Thanks Harland - I'm kind of hoping I'll find that's the case. (not too much of the appalling weather bit though) crazy

#78062 - 21/02/13 03:36 PM Re: Food and campsites [Re: Geo]
rogere Offline

Geo

If you delve into the official site, there are PDF route maps which may help:

http://www.walescoastpath.gov.uk/plan_your_trip/static_maps.aspx

I have done it all from Caernarfon to Amroth (including Anglesey) and I am just planning my last section from Amroth to Swansea for May. None of the rest really interests me, South Wales is too industrial and North Wales has too many caravan parks..... I'm sure you will be able to find all you need on the Web. Regards

#78079 - 21/02/13 08:30 PM Re: Food and campsites [Re: rogere]
Geo Offline

Originally Posted By: rogere

None of the rest really interests me, South Wales is too industrial and North Wales has too many caravan parks..... I'm sure you will be able to find all you need on the Web. Regards

I've driven through the Neath/Port Talbot areas before and suspected there might be a bit of 'truck dodging' around there!
My other thought was that I'm hoping the trail overall doesn't become a bit too much of one sort of scenery. (due to it following the coast all the way) I've done a hike here that involved walking a beach for a few days (90 Mile Beach up north - though it's actually only 55 miles long!) and the continuous noise of the breakers was a bit like walking alongside a motorway after a while and I was quite happy to eventually get away from it and head inland! I'm picking the AWCP will involve more clifftop type walking than beach? Am I correct there?
George.

#78136 - 22/02/13 02:58 PM Re: Food and campsites [Re: Geo]
rogere Offline

The LLeyn peninsula has spectacular sections, but it is more of a coastal "route" than an actual coast path, but plenty of variety. Similar for the section south of Porthmadoc, but the section south of Aberystwyth is superb, cliff edge stuff. The entire Pembrokeshire section is also splendid, a true coast path. The section I am currently planning includes the Gower peninsula which looks magnificent. So huge variety, beaches, cliffs, inland woodland and some road. Can't comment on the North and South Wales bits..... I assume you aren't turning it into a complete circular by incorprating Offas Dyke as well?

#78155 - 22/02/13 09:35 PM Re: Food and campsites [Re: Geo]
Geo Offline

Thanks, sounds good.
No, won't make a circular trip - time will be a constraint and anyhow I'll be happy enough if I can manage to drag myself the length of the AWCP. I did about half of the Offa's Dyke trail 7 or 8yrs ago when I incorporated it in a LE to JoG trip. (Going north, left OD about halfway between Knighton and Montgomery bearing NE just before Garbetts Corner).
Have driven out along the Gower Peninsula on a UK visit once (managing to sprain an ankle walking out to Worm's Head with inadequate footwear!) and as you say it's a magnificent spot.
Just hope the Welsh weather gods are in a benign mood when I front up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917