The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36018 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78124 - 22/02/13 12:23 PM Least liked road sections?
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Looking at the road sections involved on the established AW route has got me wondering just what others think of the different stretches of unavoidable tarmac.
I would imagine that the Danby - Hodber - Ellerton Hill section would be 'up there'..?
As an E-Wester the drop into Grosmont always comes as a bummer... and from Egton Bridge up to the entrance to Arncliffe woods, being narrow, is nothing short of downright dangerous on the bends IMO.
2nd up for me is the hill round Hartley quarry approaching Kirkby Stephen and I can imagine it's no better going t'other way up to Hartley Fell.
cheers
lwm

#78139 - 22/02/13 04:34 PM Re: Least liked road sections? [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Yeah, all those you mention are a bummer.
I personaly would rather walk up a steep tarmac road than down one, and I'm sure the legs dont ache any less on reaching the bottom of that Gromont hill, than they do on reaching the top.
Dave.

#78146 - 22/02/13 06:46 PM Re: Least liked road sections? [Re: lightweightmick]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
I quite like the road sections,especially the quiet roads in the Vale of Mowbray.However,I used to be a racewalker and did most of my training on country roads so ten miles or so on the roads isn't really that big a deal.At least you can get a good pace going on the roads without being interupted by stiles and gates.

#78194 - 23/02/13 11:36 AM Re: Least liked road sections? [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Yeah, definitely better up than down and I can tend to slap my feet going downhill. That's maybe why those two stretches come readily to mind...
I can understand your not liking the Grimesmoor stretch down into Raisbeck Dave as it starts with a long straight section after coming off the moor at the cattle grid - as far as the eye can see - though not much over a half mile (of st section that is)
I think it's something to do with pain in the longer reaches too - tarmac seems to make the soles 'burn' more... by comparison to the stony lakeland tracks which always seem to introduce more like 'stabbing' pains...

#78197 - 23/02/13 12:02 PM Re: Least liked road sections? [Re: tonyk]
lightweightmick Offline

It would be good to work out a 'shortest' all-road crossing Tony - with cyclists (road bikes) and road walkers in mind - not forgetting wheelchairs (and the profusion of battery powered mobility scooters that seem to get everywhere else these days - well, why not?) though some of the busier roads would probably need some kind of support vehicle.
I would think, off-top-of-head that the quieter sections would be Harknott Pass and the busiest (say, avoiding the A66...) would probably only be the relatively short section of A591 Ambleside to Kendal.
Equally challenging no doubt, even using Sherpa to carry your gear. In fact I should start planning such a crossing for when the old knees finally give out!

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917