The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36018 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77398 - 05/02/13 08:32 PM Re: E-W C2C - 2013 [Re: tonyk]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
I wouldn't, but then I just don't know how fit Johnny is...
as he says 'any thoughts welcome' - adding a day 0 with a 6pm start has always been part of my plan to date.

#77401 - 06/02/13 03:51 PM Re: E-W C2C - 2013 [Re: john57r]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Mick,
To clarify. I mentioned the dificulty of wild camping on the section between Ingleby Cross and Richmond as an add on, meaning that his options for B&B are more plentiful than if he were wild camping.
My post mentioning the time it took me to get to Ing X from RHB was intended as a guide in terms of walking hours, for the distance. I know well that he wasn't going to attempt it in one go, but as I was hardly walking at a fast pace, thought he may be able to use that info as a guide to how long parts of that section may take him.
Dave.

#77407 - 06/02/13 09:03 PM Re: E-W C2C - 2013 [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

No worries Dave - John's response to this comes in another thread anyway... (see Smokingman's)

#78568 - 04/03/13 10:28 PM Re: E-W C2C - 2013 [Re: lightweightmick]
john57r Offline

Hi Guys,
Just come back to this one having set up an Offa's Dyke for early June.
I am after putting in a bit of variety having done the C2C twice in the last two years. Not as easy as it looks especially as I don't want to be doing 10 mile days ( but equally don't fancy 30 mile plus ones). It does seem that the east coast to Richmond is a three day walk whichever way you slice it up, especially as accommodation between Richmond and Reeth is a bit thin on the ground which sort of rules out Oaktree Hill if see what I mean. I think maybe the shortcut route to Grosmont thence onto Blakey and just do the IX and Richmond option ( I did stay at Colburn last time out).
The more I think about it the more I go get drawn back to the W-E idea. Is the route westwards genuinely enjoyable and different?

John

#78570 - 04/03/13 10:41 PM Re: E-W C2C - 2013 [Re: john57r]
lightweightmick Offline

The main idea behind E-W is that you save the best bit till the end - that's if you're not too knackered to appreciate it! With sore feet those stony Lakes paths come keen, not to mention the ascent and inevitable descent...
It's also considered more challenging to be going against the grain of the prevailing winds!

#78571 - 04/03/13 10:48 PM Re: E-W C2C - 2013 [Re: john57r]
john57r Offline

Oh, and the full English does have an enduring appeal! It is interesting reading various posts about walking schedules; all equally valid I hasten to add. Having come to walking a bit late in life(with a gap of 45 years since I left the scouts)I tend to see it as a "walk with a purpose" ie not a stroll but not over testing my limits of endurance. That said I do carry all my own gear ( usually about 15 kg )and enjoy the feeling that things just could go wrong when you are out on the hills in bad weather by yourself. So whilst I could not see myself aspiring to Dave's crossing times and probably wouldn't enjoy it even if I could do it...I admit to slightly looking down my nose at 15 day baggage carried crossings.
I did 10 days last year in very bad weather..alone most of the way and didn't think that was a bad effort; probably wouldn't want to do it much quicker. This year thought I could ease it back a bit and enjoy myself hence the 11 day thought.
Any way guys I enjoy reading peoples different perspectives and find them informative..keep em coming

John

#78700 - 07/03/13 12:22 PM Re: E-W C2C - 2013 [Re: john57r]
lightweightmick Offline

My last attempt came unstuck due to lack of a few full English breakfasts - certainly would have made all the difference no doubt - though you don't usually get an early start from a B&B and Dave would have covered 15 miles by 9am - it's all down to what you set out to acheive. I must admit on my 5 day attempts I enjoy it for the 1st three days at least - except for the 2nd attempt which went badly wrong... but Dave seems to relish it when the pain kicks in and maintains the pace he starts at!
So each to his own - hope yours turns out well,
cheers
lwm

#78706 - 07/03/13 02:04 PM Re: E-W C2C - 2013 [Re: john57r]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
What I actually do is work out the distance I have to achieve per day. The AW route of the C2C works out at around 38 miles per day.
Averaging 2.5 mph is comfortable for me, without forcing the pace, but does include a couple of short stops each day. When actually mving i am probably doing around 3mph to 3.2mph on average. The stops bring it down to 2.5mph.
38 miles per day at 2.5mph, mean walking for around 15+ hours per day, hence the early starts. I start without a brew and just eat some cereal bars whilst on the move. As long as I can get a proper meal anytime after 2pm I am ok. I have never liked full English breakfast, it's just too much for me first thing a morning. At home I simply have a small bowl of cereals, often go without any lunch and have a reasonable evening meal, nothing special.
The first day going W - E I made it to just before Ruthwaite Lodge 40+ miles after stopping for Chips and Scampi at the Scafell Hotel in Rosthwaite and a Bowl of Soup at the Travellers rest near Grasmere. That day was 18 hours.
I get a bit weary towards the end of each day, but not to the point of needing to cut a day short, getting behind schedule is not an option.
I did one of my regular routes last Sunday a 24 miler, indulating old LDWA event. I have walked all of it in 5 hrs 14 mins, comfortably, I would have broken 5 hrs but for constantly waitin for my mate, who I eventually left with about 8 miles to go.
Anyway this time I thought I'd run it as much as possible and got round absolutley exhausted only 30 minutes quicker.
That told me what I had thought for some time, that running with a pack on, at least in my case, can use up more energy than it's worth.
Dave.

#78733 - 07/03/13 10:07 PM Re: E-W C2C - 2013 [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

It most certainly uses more energy running with a pack Dave. These last two years I've made training more specific by carrying same weight as expected with 'event' in mind on all routes over 5m, whether it pays off remains to be seen... but I certainly felt stretched on Sunday's 15 miler at just over 15 m/m pace and couldn't see me maintaining that for twice as far again for sure...
I'd need to doss in the RHB bus shelter to get me off for 4am though!
I think you did at least the 1st day of your E-W a bit quicker too as you've calculated on the harsher flat-measured Google miles - it's probably more like 43-44m?
Anyway, no intention of hijaking John's thread...

#78749 - 08/03/13 09:54 PM Re: E-W C2C - 2013 [Re: lightweightmick]
john57r Offline

Hey , no problem at all. Because I have not set out to specifically cover the maximum distance possible per day, I tend to carry what I think I need rather than what I really need; especially as I am in company in the evenings ( change of clothes etc). Looking at my walking times (which are admittedly rather crudely measured) pack weight does not really impede my pace. I tend to carry about 16kg on a long walk like the c2c and walk at around 2.3mph through the lakes and about 3.0mph on the flat (rests included). I start to get a bit "leggy" after 20 miles. The longest day I did last time out was around 26 miles (Osmotherley to Rosedale Village with a fog related diversion on Blakey Ridge ie I got lost for a bit. This took me 10.5 hours..was too wet and windy to stop. when I do practise walks in the Yorkshire Wolds, close to home, I carry a pack just for weight, I record around 4mph on 12-15 milers but I suspect this is something to do with the mobile phone gps I use to record pace on theses day walks..I always seem to walk faster according to it than I think I am or more accurately I cover more miles than my brain tells me I am. I will try a couple of 20 milers without a pack and see how I get on.
On the walk itself; it is interesting that the better you know a route does not make it easier to plan changes in itinery; it just puts more options into your head.
I am doing Offas Dyke as a warm up to the summer at the end of May and am looking forward to it simply because it is an unknown quantity.

John

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917