Hello everybody!
I'm a girl from Holland, and about a month ago I finished walking the Pennine Way. Before I left, on the 22nd of June, I was quite scared because somebody had written that only 1% of the people who start walking, actualy finish it. And also the fact that everybody said it was important to know how to use a compass didn't make me more confident.
I do know how to use a compass, but I'm not an expert, and I defenitely didn't want to take all of the OS maps because they're heavy and expensive.

In the end I decided to go anyway, and just give it a try. I took the Trailblazer Guide (written by Edward de la Billiere and Keith Carter) and the two footprint maps. I bought a new lightweight tent, and off I went...

I walked 16 days and had two rest days. One of them was because the combination wind and rain made it absolutely impossible to walk straight. I spent two nights in a youth hostel to dry out my kit, and I camped the rest of the nights.
And I need to say that it defenitely wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. The signposting was good on most of way, and the guidebook and maps helped me out on places where that wasn't the fact. I needed to use my compass twice (on Cross Fell in thick fog, and just before Black Hill, when I lost the path). The only thing that made me hesitate to continue was the weather. Not only because I was wet and cold most of the time, but especialy because most of the paths had become a river. On places where there were slabs and duckboards it was allright (and I'm very thankfull to the people who put them there!!) but on the rest there tended to be a layer of about 10cm of water at least. Once I sank in the mud until my waist!
But I made it, and what I want to say is: if you realy want to do it; do it! And don't be scared by what people say. You'll only realy know how it is when you're actualy there... I met a few wonderfull people who helped me at the right moments, and that will happen to you too if you keep the trust that everything will be allright in the end. The way will be to you how it needs to be.
xx Jindra